Warning - Friend drugged & robbed in Hua Hin

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
JAGfx

Warning - Friend drugged & robbed in Hua Hin

Post by JAGfx »

This is mainly posted just as a warning to other Hua Hin residents that may go out drinking alone later at night.

On Friday night (5th June), an Aussie mate of mine went into town to watch the footy and have a few beers. He then went to a bar near the Hilton when the Police came around at about 1am kicking everyone out and closing up. He then headed out looking for a tuk tuk to head home to Takiab area. He was approached by two Asian females who asked where he was going. They stated they were heading the same way and asked to share the tuk tuk, which he agreed to. He wasn't that drunk having only consumed about 6 beers and describes them as possibly not being Thai, with one about 60 years old and a younger one that appeared to be pregnant and have an odd bob style haircut, possibly a wig, now that he has thought about it more. They offered him nuts in the tuk tuk, which he declined.

On arrival at Takiab he jumped out and started walking to his condo and they followed a few metres behind. They then asked if they could use his mobile as they had to contact someone. He stated he had no credit (which was true) and then they asked if they could use his email. He stated that they would have to come to his condo and use his laptop. He was not suspicious of them at all due to their description, and probably as he had also had a few beers and his guard was down.

Once in his condo, he offered them his laptop which they ignored. One turned on the TV and the other went into his fridge. He then wondered what they were up to and tried to get them to leave. One insisted that he have some nuts that they had offered him earlier, being very persistent, where eventually he ate some and thought they tasted like crap. They left these nuts behind and are in the picture below.

That's the last thing he remembers. At about 5pm on Saturday I receive a phone call from his Thai girlfriend who was home with her family just north of Bangkok. She was worried about my mate as she had rang him via video chat and seen that he had blood from his nose, could hardly speak and was still in bed. I went to his condo and found him in bed where he could hardly talk and i couldn't make much sense out of him. I just thought he had been on an all night bender. The place was a bit of a mess but there was no obvious signs of injury or blood, so I just left him in bed and would come back and check on him in an hour or so.

I then called his Thai girlfriend where I managed to get more of the story, that he hadn't been on a bender at all. So I headed back to his place and managed to get him to our condo for the night. He could hardly walk and was still difficult to understand. The wife and I got some info from him and established that his Aussie credit card was missing, so we cancelled that with his bank. He then slept through to 4am Sunday morning, where he then headed home.

We went and checked on him at about 8.30am Sunday, and he was still feeling like crap and having trouble concentrating, but slowly getting better. It appears these two females have drugged him via these nuts that they were so insistent that he eat, then they have gone through his place when he fell asleep, stealing all of his Thai and Aussie cash and credit card, and also his laptop. They left behind his iPhone (trackable?). They also managed to conduct 3x online transactions using his credit card making purchases from Bangkok based businesses. This was confirmed by his bank and they stated they would refund him.

Our condos have security cameras, so hopefully they may yield some helpful footage of these two women. He and his Thai girlfriend have now headed down to the local Police station to report the matter, which he has to for insurance purposes at least. Now whether they do anything or not, who knows. He may also have to seek some medical treatment if he doesn't get better.

So be warned folks, if you are out and about in Hua Hin after dark by yourself, had a few drinks, and a couple of nice women approach you, run the other way as it is possible it could end badly for you.
Nuts.jpg
Big Boy

Re: Warning - Friend drugged & robbed in Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy »

I see you've posted CCTV of the women elsewhere. Why not share the photos here?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Last year there was a death through poison in HH and they were looking for a woman with an unusual fringe.....looks like it could be the younger of these two. Be careful out there folks.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

about a year ago a man told me first person about something similar to this happening to him in Hua Hin.

He was at the Hiltons night club late at night and was approached by a woman who he thought was a freelance hooker. They went back to his room and she opened a beer for him which he drank and that was the last thing he remembers.

He woke up the next afternoon missing his wallet and phone.

these stories are not uncommon in Thailand. variations of this story happen a lot in Pattaya.

I have also been warned by a few bargirls to be very careful at the Hilton late at night.

So yes lets all try to keep your wits about us even in sleepy little HH.

i did have to laugh a little at this part of the story:
JAGfx wrote:He wasn't that drunk having only consumed about 6 beers
lets hope he makes a full recovery.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

He wasn't that drunk.......he let them enter his condo......well....not so strange and worrying.....stupid behaviour or really drunk. I would not make any comment concerning nationality......
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

How predictable. I was wondering when you'd pop out from under your bridge.
This is the way
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

JamesWest wrote:about a year ago a man told me first person about something similar to this happening to him in Hua Hin.

He was at the Hiltons night club late at night and was approached by a woman who he thought was a freelance hooker. They went back to his room and she opened a beer for him which he drank and that was the last thing he remembers.

these stories are not uncommon in Thailand. variations of this story happen a lot in Pattaya.

I have also been warned by a few bargirls to be very careful at the Hilton late at night.

Been there done that. I met a freelancer in Beer garden Soi 7 (?) i Bangkok - fun girl with bubbly personality, back to hotel Landmakr at the end of th evening, the lady wants a drink - I make gin tonic and make myslef one as well, I go shower, have my drink and the next think I know is that I wake up the morning after, not knowing hwat happened adfter the drink. Only my 5000 Baht cash were gone, the cards and passport were all placed in the deposti bix before leaving the Loom for a nite out on town. This is some years back but nothing has changed. I didn't even want the drink, just joined to be hospitable. Lesson learned not?
'
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

dtaai-maai wrote:How predictable. I was wondering when you'd pop out from under your bridge.
:lach:

Sometimes a little comment really does make you LOL. :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

JamesWest wrote:about a year ago a man told me first person about something similar to this happening to him in Hua Hin.

Surely you're not suggesting that he was definitely drunk because of drinking 6 beers? I might be mistaken, but since he was in the bar area of town, I'm assuming he must have had 6 small bottles of beer. Maybe I'm a bit immune to beer because 6 small beers certainly would not make me drunk, and especially not if I had them over the course of a few hours.

Anyway, if he still has some of the nuts I would like to buy some from him. An easy and convenient way to shut my MIL up. :laugh:

I hope the guy is okay now, and that the police at least try to investigate.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

I have attached photos of both the women taken from the CCTV at the condo. I have watched the footage and it shows them all arriving at about 1am. My mate was walking fine at the time so suggests he wasn't too drunk. Now whether he made the smartest decision to allow them into his place is neither here nor there. The footage shows them leaving at about 6am, just before the sun came up. You can also see his laptop poking out the top of their bag. He didn't drink anything when he got home and can't remember anything after eating these nuts.

My mate attended the local Police station to report it but they didn't really show much concern. He got a report at least for insurance purposes. Also attended San Paulo hospital but advised by a doctor that they were unable to determine the drug used due to the high number available. Checked him out and all okay other than slightly high blood pressure.
IMG_4747.JPG
IMG_4746.JPG
Being an ex copper from Oz, most of the cases I attended to like this usually had males doing this to females for sexual reasons. Here in LOS, seems to the other way around but instead of sex it is cash and valuables. And just spoke with my mate, and he is feeling much better today. Lesson learnt and a weekend he probably won't forget for a while. Cheers.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

did he have a password on this notebook?

did he have a email program that downloads his email to his computer?

this is called a "pop" account. that means every email on the computer can be seen by whoever has the computer. including new emails until he changes the passwords.

i would change very bank password, online shopping password, anything he used that computer to sign into with.

the people who stole the computer are not too smart, but the people they sell it to might be a problem.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

Not sure James. He did tell me that his notebook was password protected where the average joe wouldn't be able to access it but I guess that wouldn't stop someone with a bit of tech expertise. I'll pass this info on to him though. Thanks.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Nothing new, it happens everywhere, it also happened in Hua Hin, naive people will always exist and some people knowing how to take profit also.
Pls. do not post alarming warnings.