Living in Hua Hin on 34k a month

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
taust
Novice
Novice

Living in Hua Hin on 34k a month

Post by taust »

hi all
is it possible to live in hua hin comfortably on about 34000 baht a month,accommodation can be a bit out of town but with aircon,also would need a motorbike,also does anyone have any idea what the thai baht is likely to do,last time i stayed in hua hin i was getting 70baht to the pound(cant see that anytime soon)cheers
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: living in hua hin

Post by HHTel »

You can live but I wouldn't say comfortably. The baht is around 47.5 at the banks and I can't see that getting any better unless the GBP does a massive U-turn and that won't be until after the election. You could get rent out of town for around 5,000. Aircon - forget it on your budget. Then you would have the rental on a m/cycle and the gas needed. You would need to get used to eating from Thai food outlets. Nothing wrong with that.
Then of course, there's your visa and there's a cost for jumping through immigration's hoops.

So, yes, it is possible but you would need to turn Thai.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

taust wrote:hi all
is it possible to live in hua hin comfortably on about 34000 baht a month,accommodation can be a bit out of town but with aircon, also would need a motorbike, also does anyone have any idea what the thai baht is likely to do,last time i stayed in hua hin i was getting 70baht to the pound(cant see that anytime soon)cheers
i live alone on 45,000 baht. and that is really tight. but you can do it on 34,000 but say good bye to all things Farang.

you will be out of town, maybe Cha Am or down south in the Pranburi area.
invest in a used scooter, maybe have a notebook computer for intertainment and communications, use wifi in businesses, cheap cellphone, no health issues, no drinking or just cheap beer, no girlfriend/bargirl or a very poor girlfriend who is ok with no air con and thinks 7/11 is a five star eatery when you get sick of cart food.

anyone who knows which way the baht verus any currency is going is not on this forum. they are on their private island.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Perfect answer
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Living in Hua Hin on 34k a month

Post by Takiap »

Whether you can live here on 34K per month or not will all depend on you as an individual. I know I could easily live here on that if I never had kids and etc, and yes, I would live quite comfortably as well.

But, I don't drink in bars and because it is no longer my scene, and I also don't often eat at restaurants because I enjoy making my own food. I also stopped using air con several years ago, not because of the cost, but because I wanted to adapt more to the climate here. These days I have absolutely no need for an air con at all.

As others have said, things might be tight for you on 34K per month, but it can be done. You level of comfort will of course depend on your expectations.

Your best bet would be to give it a test run first.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
buksida

Post by buksida »

Living in HH on a budget has been discussed countless times here, have a look at these two topics:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29319
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26737

In short all answers are correct, it is possible but your money will go a lot further in a non-tourist and more Thai town.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

Agree with Buksida "your money will go a lot further in a non-tourist and more Thai town."
taust
Novice
Novice

Post by taust »

thanks all
understand what your saying,i lived in chiang mai for a while everything seems a lot cheaper up there can get decent accomadation for less than 5000,and motorbike for 2000,just wanted some ideas cheers
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You said the last time you were here it was 70 baht to the pound. That was some time ago and not only the exchange rate has collapsed, prices have risen quite a lot. As has been said, try it for a while, but don't burn all your bridges to return home if need be.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

You can exist on 34K but living is another thing. Hopefully that figure has some inflation protection built in somewhere otherwise it will be a downward spiral.
Happiness can't buy money