Have You Ever Been Targeted and Stitched Up By The Police?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.

Been stung by the Royal Thai Police for being farang?

Yes, happens a lot
8%
Once or twice... No biggie
19%
Never
73%

Total votes: 26

Big Boy

Re: Have You Ever Been Targeted and Stitched Up By The Polic

Post by Big Boy »

Winkie wrote:I am stopped frequently in Cha Am, but in all occasions, after a short chat, am sent on my way without and additional requests.
One of my scammed moments was early morning on the by-pass at Cha-Am. 2 BIB jumping in front of cars to stop them. OK, I could have killed him :twisted: , but decided to stop - IMHO this kind of stop is always unofficial, and a total scam.

I was driving sensibly, but the guy first said I was speeding, which I had been, but not to the extent he could have known - maybe as fast as 90KPH, probably less. Of course, I denied it. I had just overtaken a lorry, and he also had a go about me not driving on the left.

One thing I don't suffer gladly is fools, and this guy was an absolute prick. I just disengaged all contact with him, and stared ahead, ignoring any further crap he was going to say. He then started on Mrs BB, who IMHO foolishly gave into his demands for 400 Baht. Me, I'd have just stayed there and waited it out. While he was wasting his time with me, he couldn't scam anybody else.

I know I'd have had little choice but to contribute to his tea fund eventually, but why make it easy? Incidentally, I disengaged before he actually requested a contribution - it was so obvious from the crap coming from his mouth where it was going.

I've told others of my incident, and they had been scammed the same way in the Cha-Am area.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I have not tried it yet, but if you have a dash cam point it out to the **icks that try it on. Just tell them that it is all being recorded, including your speed and their ugly mug!

Over 25 years I suppose that I could count it on one hand how many times that I have been stopped, and do not recall paying except for a parking ticket years ago connected with their stupid "even and odd days" BS in Bangkok.

Once up near Lampang I was stopped at a road block. My daughter was in the back seat and her Grandmother in the front next to me. The cop wanted to know who she was, and I told him he could have her, as she was of no further use to anyone! He must have come close to peeing in his pants, he started laughing that much as he sent us on our way! 8)
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

snagsbootneck wrote:whilst driving from Phuket to Hun Hin with my wife and 2 young children (fast asleep) in our Hilux (not speeding) I was pulled over by a highway cop, for no reason that I could fathom. Driving licence tax all in date and and good, charged me 500 baht for not wearing a t-shirt in the car. Note my tints are about 50% on all windows so there is no way he could have seen. As soon as i stopped i put a t-shirt on to talk to him. As a result a screaming 2 year old and crying wife for the next 30 minutes, the red mist descended, but what can you do???
I am going to Google "T-Shirts save lives" There must be a campaign here in Thailand for it.. sounds legit!
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

Winkie wrote:In 16 years I can recall 3 instances that were clearly not for any real traffic violation, or for any other reason than to extract additional personal income.

Once, for driving without a passport (Yes, i know technically this is an offense). Once for passing through a red light on a road that did not have any traffic lights, only 200THB so no need to make a big deal, just pay.

The above were many many years ago.

The third, and much more worrying was my wife, who was stopped on Asoke in BKK. It was late at night, she was breathalyzed and passed, she was breathalyzed and passed again. After the police fiddled with the device, she was breathalyzed for a 3rd time and failed (My wife does not drink). They asked for 5,000THB. My wife only had 1,000 and was willing to pay that, but they would not accept. She was eventually frog-marched by 2 officers, to an ATM and forced to withdraw THB5,000 for which no receipt was issued.

My wife realises that she should have been stronger, and defended herself, but it was late at night and the Police stop was very intimidating for her.

Next time, I have instructed her to scream RAPE as loud as possible.

This last case was much more than simple police intimidation, it was a mugging.

I'm in Bangkok most of the time, and my office is in Ekamai so I am not far from Thonglor (a very upmarket part f Bangkok, in no way seedy as suggested above). However, the foot and bike patrol police are very common, and it is clear that they have been targeting foreigners recently. My colleague, who has only been in Thailand for 3 months now, has been stopped 4 times driving his car (Once he was waved through a Police Stop, and then another officer shouted out, Falang! and another officer jumped in front of his car. He too, is a tea totaller, in each of the occasions he was not fined, and free to continue.

I am stopped frequently in Cha Am, but in all occasions, after a short chat, am sent on my way without and additional requests.

In and around Bangkok, I am stopped driving frequently, and have paid fines for real minor offenses, and this I accept as I was in the wrong. For simple random checks (of which there are quite a few), I am simply allowed to continue.

The Asoke story is the worst, I feel bad for your wife and I am sure you felt bad that you were not there either. So they were basically trying to do whatever it took to get 5000 baht, that's corruption at it's finest. I hope that does not happen to too many people!
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936