Thai Monk Slaps Ausie for Giving Up Seat to Ladies

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai Monk Slaps Ausie for Giving Up Seat to Ladies

Post by HHTel »

It also makes the title of this thread very inflammatory.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I personally think this 'It's fine, it's fine' excuse to be a load of (buffalo) crap..and a quick attempt by the Thais to quell the mood of the video so 'face' is saved here.
If I was saying to the monk "It's fine, it's fine" my natural mannerisms for the situation would clearly show I was being sincere..sorry but this 'monk' IMO, after his actions here should trade his robe for a red shirt & a face mask..he's a thug.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I and the Thais I've spoken too all agree that the monk should never have acted the way he did. However, it seems the monk can clearly be heard saying "Why is he calling me a buffalo". The Oz smiling while saying it made it even worse. Another example of the appalling lack of English teaching here.
jimmy40
Professional
Professional

Post by jimmy40 »

Well forget this politically correct crap, I would have given the F%^$ a belting
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

jimmy40 wrote:Well forget this politically correct crap, I would have given the F%^$ a belting
In which case, of course, your admirable desire to avoid being politically correct ( :? ) would have still been published on Youtube, but under the heading 'Farang beats up Thai monk on train', you would be languishing in a Thai prison awaiting trial, imprisonment and permanent deportation, you would have no sympathy from the Thai public and your cries of 'but he slapped me' would be ignored. Never mind, you would have made your point.

The simple truth is, of course, that you are probably not old, small, weedy and unthreatening like the guy in the video, so would not have been slapped by this bullyboy in orange robes in the first place.

Incidentally, this business of "I'm fine" sounding like "kwai" is far from convincing.
This is the way
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Incidentally, this business of "I'm fine" sounding like "kwai" is far from convincing.
Exactly! I am Australian, and even putting on a forced "accent", it does not sound anything like "kwai".

It should also be mentioned that there are some "monks" that are just there hiding from the law, for a multitude of reasons, most often to do with money. :guns:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

HHTel wrote: However, it seems the monk can clearly be heard saying "Why is he calling me a buffalo". The Oz smiling while saying it made it even worse. Another example of the appalling lack of English teaching here.
Well yes, although the word 'fine' is such an automatic Thai/English response to "how are you" that I'd have thought it easily understood by almost any Thai.

It could equally be said that it's an example of how important it is for farang living and working here (I believe the Aussie in question is an English teacher) to make an effort to grasp at least the basics of the Thai language - this was a classic case of "Mai bpen rai khap".
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Some Thais have said that this monk 'must live in a cave' not to understand. They also say he shouldn't be a monk and at the very least, be disciplined!!
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

This monk is a bully and not really following a Buddhist path he should be De - robed for that violent action.

It's common place for naughty Thai's to become a monk to say sorry for a couple of months my oldest brother in law has done this all his life after committing serious acts.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Not 'kwai' but 'ai fie'.
When pronounced with a "Thai" accent, "I fine" comes out as "Ai fai" and means "you're a buffalo" in trendy Thai jargon.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -thai-film

Just as well he didn't say 'I sat here' which presumably the monk would interpret it as 'You bastard son of a bitch'.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

So every time I ask people how they are, they're actually calling me a buffalo! No wonder they smile so much...
This is the way
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

dtaai-maai wrote:So every time I ask people how they are, they're actually calling me a buffalo! No wonder they smile so much...
Also explains why, when I call people buffalo, they smile. Guess I need a new term :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

90% percent of Thai people need to stop pretending that they are a 'Buddhist' people just as most of the west has admitted that, 'Yeah I was Christened, but I'm not really a strict follower'.

With this in mind, monkhood needs to stop being offered as a 'get out' option.

In England we have shelters and rehab.
jimmy40
Professional
Professional

Post by jimmy40 »

dtaai-maai wrote:
jimmy40 wrote:Well forget this politically correct crap, I would have given the F%^$ a belting
In which case, of course, your admirable desire to avoid being politically correct ( :? ) would have still been published on Youtube, but under the heading 'Farang beats up Thai monk on train', you would be languishing in a Thai prison awaiting trial, imprisonment and permanent deportation, you would have no sympathy from the Thai public and your cries of 'but he slapped me' would be ignored. Never mind, you would have made your point.

The simple truth is, of course, that you are probably not old, small, weedy and unthreatening like the guy in the video, so would not have been slapped by this bullyboy in orange robes in the first place.

No No No dtaai-maai ,
I would have used there own system against them and bought my way out!!
The only bit you are right about is I am 130 kilo and 6 foot tall and it wouldn't have happened for that reason. I am also an Ozzie and even when I say Kwai no one understands. I suppose som nom na
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

What puzzles me is why this particular incident was being filmed at all, even with the Thai love of their mobile phones. This clip starts at the point of the slapping offence and is fairly mundane after that. We have no idea what happened beforehand that might have prompted such an unexpected response and presumably made someone think 'ooh, this looks like it might be worth filming...'

Members of this forum have come to virtual blows discussing the merits of various media outlets' credibility and I'm amazed that this film on Youtube is taken at face value.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde