Full Moon Party

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Full Moon Party

Post by HHTel »

Has anyone been to one of these parties?

To some this report/video is a promotional video for tourists!!!

http://www.9news.com.au/National/2014/1 ... n-steroids
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: Full Moon Party

Post by Pleng »

Yes I've been to a few. Sure quite a few other's here have too
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Haven't been myself. Would loved to have gone some 10-15 years back in my DJing years. Unfortunately, that kind of scene is a bit too much for me now. The moment has been and gone.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Went to a couple 15 odd years ago, a lot more laid back then and far less commercial.

Too old for that sh!t now though!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'd like to go, just to look, not participate - guess I'll be as old as buksi soon :twisted:

If things go to plan, I'll probably make the trip next year some time.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I've been twice with my daughters over the last 14 years. I never actually attended but hung close on the fringe observing. The first time was OK and extremely laid back but the second time my daughters were very disappointed as it had cranked up prices to 'rip' level and was way over crowded and rowdy. Perhaps my daughters are getting too old for that sort of thing too :)
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

But does anyone think that this report/video is going to discourage 'revelers' or actually encourage it?
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Encourage it.

When you are young you live with danger and gay abandon. I lived in London in the swinging sixties and nothing was to much to have a go at despite the dangers regarding drugs, sex and violence.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

buksida wrote:Went to a couple 15 odd years ago, a lot more laid back then and far less commercial.

Too old for that sh!t now though!
I went to a couple about 10 years ago when living on Samui. It wasn't crazy by any standards, but I never felt inclined to go again, though friends tell me that Koh PhaNgan in general is still a good place for a visit.
This is the way
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Definitely encourage it and as for the Catholic Priest Kelly, he is in no position to pass judgment.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I've been told Ibiza and east Cyprus are far worse/better
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I avoid islands full of drug addled backpackers like the plague.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Its the mystery of the unknown for many. Just like smoking and drinking. As soon as they are old enough, they take the opportunity to try it because they've been warned against it, and want to know what they're missing. The more people that say it's bad, the more youngsters that will want to try it.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I've been on a few occasions, and would gladly go again if given the chance. Very noisy but certainly not as crazy as the press make them out to be. Actually, they can be a bit of a let down if you are expecting something similar to what you can find in Europe. :oops:

Back in the late 90s there would sometimes be "secret" beach parties as well. Now, those were GOOD! :laugh: :oops:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

HHTel wrote:Has anyone been to one of these parties?

To some this report/video is a promotional video for tourists!!!

http://www.9news.com.au/National/2014/1 ... n-steroids
Nope, but what I heard of it was like something off Glastonbury but in the tropics with lots of ravy davy gravy tunes. Pretty scummy these days by all accounts.