Lottery prize and keeping it a secret or not?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Re: Lottery prize and keeping it a secret or not?

Post by pdm3547 »

GLCQuantum wrote:
pdm3547 wrote: This is exactly what I thought the thread would be about.

Anyone who makes a decent lottery win public (outside their immediate family) is instantly exposing their close friends and family to the risk of kidnap, themselves to extortion or any other number of criminal acts.
You do realize it's the amount of 17 million baht he's won, not pounds or dollars.
And I'm talking in the abstract, which is why I said: "anyone who makes a decent lottery win" - and by that mean north of £40 - £50m.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

GLCQuantum wrote:
Khundon1975 wrote:I would tell the wife, as I could not keep a straight face for ever. Besides, we don't have any secrets about who has what money and she has always had access to my bank accounts...
:cheers:
Who's betting that Khundon knows that his wife reads his posts on here. :mrgreen:
GLCQuantum

I will give you odds of 500/1

Go ahead GLCQ, make my day. I would be more than happy to take your money.

The wife has absolutely no interest in HHAD and if you knew anything about Thai women, you would have known that. Facebook, Line and all the other like sites, keep her busy.

:laugh:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

I suppose we are all different...if I had this win I would not hang about talking about it :? I would be off enjoying myself with my husband.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

GLCQuantum wrote:
pdm3547 wrote:
Big Boy wrote:Personally (and we all have different circumstances), I'd have no fear whatsoever about my wife knowing. The biggest fear for me would be the sudden demands from the 'lazy gits' who are extended family up North. It took several years to explain that marriage did not give them instant access to my bank account, and I fear that knowledge of such a win would start it all over again.
This is exactly what I thought the thread would be about.

Anyone who makes a decent lottery win public (outside their immediate family) is instantly exposing their close friends and family to the risk of kidnap, themselves to extortion or any other number of criminal acts.
You do realize it's the amount of 17 million baht he's won, not pounds or dollars.

Some will kill for less....

:naughty:
A friend is only one click away
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

huahin4ever wrote:
Well first things first. I didn't need the winnings at all.
So why not help someone who does? This is a great situation to be in and irrespective of whether you tell your wife or not, half a million dollars could do a tremendous amount of good. I'm not so much talking about charities or simply giving it away, why not become an angel investor? You could get to share your skills or knowledge and help other people who have great ideas, make them a reality for the benefit of so many more.

"O, reason not the need! Our basest beggars
Are in the poorest thing superfluous.
Allow not nature more than nature needs,
Man’s life’s as cheap as beast’s."

Lear. 2.4.261-264
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Let her know that you won 1.7million, see what the reaction is like.
At least she will think you are that lucky!
I am glad that I have not won that much so far.
I do hope I can win that much in the next few years tho.
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Well, seeing that the OP has a Thai wife, why not ask a Thai for advice in order to remove the risk of racial influence?

So, I have asked my wife if she would tell anyone if she were to win 17 million baht. Without a moment's hesitation, she informed that she would never tell anyone in her (Thai) family. Her reason being that she would have a bunch of people suddenly asking for money, and more alarmingly, her life would/could very well be in danger.

Personally, I can understand why the OP has doubts about revealing his win to his wife. Thais generally do not keep secrets because gossip is the order of the day. Added to this is the fact that "face" is extremely important in Thailand, and 17 million baht can buy you a lot of face, which makes it even less likely that such a win will be kept secret. Let's not forget that money, for the overwhelming majority of Thais, is more important than anything on the planet, and 17 million baht is a massive amount of money for nearly all Thais. Let's also not forget that money can change people, regardless of whether they are Thai or not.

If I won this sort of money, my concern would not be my wife, but I would be concerned about extended family, and for that reason, the money would be 100% out of their reach.

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So your fears are the same as mine. It's not the wife, it's the extended family.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Let's not forget that money, for the overwhelming majority of Thais, is more important than anything on the planet,
So your fears are the same as mine. It's not the wife, it's the extended family.

This is exactly correct. And it matters not where the money may come from, or to whom it may legally belong. It is preferable that it comes from a deceased estate, then the owner cannot dispute it. :guns:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

If I won a huge chunk of money in the UK I would happily publicize it for all to see, then b*gger off to somewhere warm the next day before all the begging started.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Nereus wrote:
Let's not forget that money, for the overwhelming majority of Thais, is more important than anything on the planet,

This is exactly correct. And it matters not where the money may come from, or to whom it may legally belong. It is preferable that it comes from a deceased estate, then the owner cannot dispute it. :guns:
I agree with this and truly feel sorry for the Thai people. Their engrained thought processes make them a very sorry people. One with no morals or genuine kindness (outside of immediate family). It's really only the 1 percent who could afford an education, that exhibit any sign of normal human behavior.

And therein lies the problem. Only 1% are able to educate themselves in any way. The rest are left to suffer by their own government. It's not their fault they are stupid, money driven and lack empathy. It's the wealthy's fault for not giving them a chance to educate and better themselves.