A Little Case of Theft - Can the Police Deal With It?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: A Little Case of Theft - Can the Police Deal With It?

Post by GLCQuantum »

So, just got back from the local police station (think shack with a couple of people hanging out) to find no-one in the office. A walk of the perimeter finds 8 guys out back eating Som tam washed down with a nice cold beer. I ask the guy that I saw briefly as I was exiting the building on Saturday, if they had managed to get the photo of the guy and (in Thai)...

"I'm very sorry. The two guys you spoke to forgot to hand in the police report (you forgot to go, or they forgot to give in the report? Pass the buck time, great - I love this game!), I assure you we will be there (the bank) first thing in the morning".

So no progress as yet. :shock:

Will stop off at the bank lunchtime tomorrow anyway.
dtaai-maai wrote:As far as the practicalities of finding the iPad are concerned, the bank may well prove to be of little help. As far as I'm aware, ATM photos only record people who actually use the ATM, so while it may well reveal who used it after GLCQ, that doesn't necessarily mean the iPad hadn't already been found and removed by someone else.

(That's my story anyway, and I'm sticking to it...)
The camera's I'm relying on are two external bank cameras pointing straight at the ATM, I didn't think about the actual ATM camera. The external cameras will (you would have thought) be recording 24-7 regardless of anyone using the machine.

:cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

GLCQuantum wrote:The external cameras will (you would have thought) be recording 24-7 regardless of anyone using the machine.
If they work.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Or the thief returned and nicked those as well 555
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Just a thought :roll:

The hole you are digging is getting deeper
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

^ Indeed :D
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

GLCQuantum wrote:So, just got back from the local police station (think shack with a couple of people hanging out) to find no-one in the office. A walk of the perimeter finds 8 guys out back eating Som tam washed down with a nice cold beer. I ask the guy that I saw briefly as I was exiting the building on Saturday, if they had managed to get the photo of the guy and (in Thai)...

"I'm very sorry. The two guys you spoke to forgot to hand in the police report (you forgot to go, or they forgot to give in the report? Pass the buck time, great - I love this game!), I assure you we will be there (the bank) first thing in the morning".

So no progress as yet. :shock:

Will stop off at the bank lunchtime tomorrow anyway.
dtaai-maai wrote:As far as the practicalities of finding the iPad are concerned, the bank may well prove to be of little help. As far as I'm aware, ATM photos only record people who actually use the ATM, so while it may well reveal who used it after GLCQ, that doesn't necessarily mean the iPad hadn't already been found and removed by someone else.

(That's my story anyway, and I'm sticking to it...)
The camera's I'm relying on are two external bank cameras pointing straight at the ATM, I didn't think about the actual ATM camera. The external cameras will (you would have thought) be recording 24-7 regardless of anyone using the machine.

So were the bank able to help?
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

So went to see the police again yesterday. Obviously my Thai isn't as good as I thought it was. I didn't realise that it was ME who was supposed to go to the bank, look at their cameras, identify the person who took it and tell the police who it was. Simple mistake. :D

Went to the bank this morning. Looked at their cameras, saw who took it and told the police. Fortunately for me, it was a motorbike taxi driver who took it, number 79, works at the market down the road.

The police are going to speak with him later and ask him to return it.

There may be hope yet.

Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

You should find number 79 and tell him you need a ride to the police station.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Taxi drivers sometimes swop/share shirts so I expect the incumbent will wriggle his way out. Best of luck though
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

richard wrote:Taxi drivers sometimes swop/share shirts so I expect the incumbent will wriggle his way out. Best of luck though
Clear picture of the guy's face on camera.
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

#79 says: "Yes, I found the ipad and went running after the farang to give it him back. He gave me 100Bt reward".

Case closed.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Yeah, the plot thickens. I must admit that so far the OP made more progress than I expected. The bank smoothly co-operating, the CCTV of good quality and even the police apparently willing to contact the motorbike taxi driver........ BUT he does not have his iPad back (yet?). To be continued.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Police just called me.

Police: If the taxi driver returns your stuff, do you want us to still arrest him for taking it?

Me: No.

Police: What about if he doesn't return it?

Me: Arrest him. :D
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

iPad is in the policeman's hands and ready to be collected after my next lesson.

RESULT

:dance: :dance: :dance:

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

And well done to you! :thumb:

Just don't forget to take it with you next time!
Talk is cheap