A Little Case of Theft - Can the Police Deal With It?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

A Little Case of Theft - Can the Police Deal With It?

Post by GLCQuantum »

Allo allo... evening all, :D

In my decade of living here and a further decade of holidaying here, I've never once been into a police station to ask for their help. I've been arrested a few times mind. :D

So today has been a real shitty day! To start the day off nicely, I had to give my thousand baht an hour, cushty Saturday morning class to a newbie while I was shipped off to a Government school to judge a pointless national competition involving students memorizing a given script and pretending that that's how they speak naturally. A few simple questions to the speaker lets one know that who you have in front of you is in fact... nothing but a robot. In the past, I have picked up a couple of thousand for these gigs, but the school kindly informed me (on my return five hours later) that today I was working for free for the good of all Thailand's young eager English speakers. I walked away from the office with that wonderful feeling you get when you know you've done your bit for humanity.

Caning my second cigarette of the day (Yes, only my second! At bloody 13:00!), I realised that I'd promised to help a good friend out with a bit of cash a few days back but hadn't had the time to do it. Off I toddle to the bank, get there and forget that bank's aren't open on Saturdays. Whoopie, I get to figure out the transfer thing on the dated machine outside. Juggling phone, iPad and wallet in my hands, I decide to whack the iPad on top of the ATM whilst I get things finished (yes, you know what happens next already). I call my friend to let him know that the money's gone in and continue talking whilst walking away from the machine... "Oy Dingbat! Wot about ya iPad bruvver?" If I had a kid, I would let it know that the iPad has gone to 'Ipaddy Heaven'. I don't... so I remind myself to stop being a forgetful twat.

So here comes my first EVER call for assistance from the police. Due to my previous arrests, they know me well and sat me down with a cup of coffee as usual, just minus the handcuffs this time. They take all my details, but not before I've had to return all the way home (a mere 152 baht there and back) to get my passport. They wouldn't accept as much as a hello until I had my passport details on the counter. I let them know the exact time I was at the ATM by a receipt and ask them to look at the two cameras to identify the 'finders keepers' take and run thief. They inform me that they can't do anything until Monday - when the bank is open. 'Come again? You can't ask the bank manager to come in tomorrow because a theft has taken place on their property?', apparently not. They told me to come back on Tuesday. So, defeated, gutted and wallowing in self pity, I took my police report, scored some weed from the shorter policeman and went home defeated.

So what do you think? Two cameras on the ATM, a twenty minute time frame, in broad daylight and the iPad cover is a very visible bright pink (someone gave it to me... free's free!). Are the Royal Thai Police going to crack this case? :D

I'm generally a glass half full guy, but on this occasion I have absolute faith that the snatch and grabbers will be caught and prosecuted accordingly. This month, my laptop's kicked the bucket, my TV has acquired 'convergence' problems (unwatchable...double vision) and now my 600 hundred quid iPad's missing, but I'm expecting the latter will be returned to me shortly once the police have conducted their investigation. :D

Yours truly,

Broke
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Re: A Little Case of Theft - Can the Police Deal With It?

Post by Arlo »

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201472

This could help. Good luck on getting it back.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Thanks Arlo,

Hindsight's a wonderful thing. I never installed that 'Find my Phone' app as, of course, I wouldn't be losing my little, much loved timewasting device anytime soon. I've taken note of some other things from that site though.

:cheers:
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Just as a side note, if you ever happen to leave something lying around briefly, and it gets stolen, don't use the Thai word for steal/stole/stolen (kamoy) with the police, or thief (khon tii kamoy). It confuses them. Something is only stolen if property has been taken from yourself (as in body, pockets, bag) or your home. If said property was chillaxing somewhere on, say, a table, desktop or top of an ATM for five minutes before it got stol... sorry, taken, it hasn't been stolen. You have lost it. Hmmm. :|

I suppose this post is for the 'Something I Learnt Today' thread really.

Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

GLCQuantum wrote:Thanks Arlo,

Hindsight's a wonderful thing. I never installed that 'Find my Phone' app as, of course, I wouldn't be losing my little, much loved timewasting device anytime soon. I've taken note of some other things from that site though.

I don't think you need any app installed on your iPad but perhaps just the setting activated.
Try signing into Apple/iCloud with your Apple I.D. on a regular laptop and searching that way. I'm sure I've done this before.
https://www.icloud.com/
Worth a shot.
GN.

Edit: From Apples webpage:
"Find My iPhone is the only way that you can track or locate a lost or missing device. If Find My iPhone isn't enabled on your device before it goes missing, there is no other Apple service that can find, track, or otherwise flag your device for you."

I just checked my iPad and the Find-My-Phone setting was turned off. Surely as a default it should be set to on.... :?

Goodluck.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Ginjaninja wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:Thanks Arlo,

I don't think you need any app installed on your iPad but perhaps just the setting activated.
Try signing into Apple/iCloud with your Apple I.D. on a regular laptop and searching that way. I'm sure I've done this before.
https://www.icloud.com/
Worth a shot.
GN.

Edit: From Apples webpage:
"Find My iPhone is the only way that you can track or locate a lost or missing device. If Find My iPhone isn't enabled on your device before it goes missing, there is no other Apple service that can find, track, or otherwise flag your device for you."

I just checked my iPad and the Find-My-Phone setting was turned off. Surely as a default it should be set to on.... :?

Goodluck.
Thanks GNinja, I'm checking out what I can do from a computer anyhow. The thing has a password to unlock it and of course my Apple account so is a paperweight until changed. I'm sure there are easy ways to wipe everything though and reset it... just like jailbreaking it.

On the other hand, maybe a good samaritan picked it up and will have it waiting for me at the bank on Monday. :D

Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

It is definitely not 'a case of theft'. The title should read: A little case of me forgetting my iPhone on top of an ATM.
It is not the task of the police to help you find lost property that has NOT been stolen but merely left unattended. The only thing they can do is file a report for insurance claim purposes. The bank CAN help you as they possibly are able to identify the person who found your iPhone. Due to strict privacy laws a bank in our countries would never reveal this information but you might be more lucky in Thailand. I suggest you go to the bank on Monday and ask for their cooperation and ask them to contact the finder and offer him or her a reward for returning your iPhone. Hope you are a account holder with that branch. Might help. Keep us posted.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

:agree: While I sympathise with the OP, I confess I had a little chuckle at the thought of asking a bank manager in any country to open the bank over the weekend to help find a lost phone/iPad/ATM card/whatever.

One of the problems of living here is a lack of pocket space. Maybe a handbag is in order? :D
This is the way
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I think in most countries in that situation, the police would simply record it as lost property and that would be it, I can't imagine they're going to unlease Sherlock Holmes onto the case.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Had the same thing with a video camera and several years worth of underwater stock footage that I was on my way to the office to backup on the new computer. Left it in a busy supermarket which luckily had cctv. Spoke very politely with the owner admitting my stupidity, making no accusations and offering a reward. Lo and behold got it delivered to my office by the owner who would not accept a reward for the"finder" and asked no further questions so there is hope for your iPad GLC if it hasn't been flogged already.

Crazy 88
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

Roel wrote:It is definitely not 'a case of theft'. The title should read: A little case of me forgetting my iPhone on top of an ATM.
It is not the task of the police to help you find lost property that has NOT been stolen but merely left unattended. The only thing they can do is file a report for insurance claim purposes. The bank CAN help you as they possibly are able to identify the person who found your iPhone. Due to strict privacy laws a bank in our countries would never reveal this information but you might be more lucky in Thailand. I suggest you go to the bank on Monday and ask for their cooperation and ask them to contact the finder and offer him or her a reward for returning your iPhone. Hope you are a account holder with that branch. Might help. Keep us posted.
I think it's forgetting and theft. Yes he forgot it but that doesn't make it right for someone else to take it. If you take something that doesn't belong to you it is considered theft. I have to agree most police probably would just file a report but in Thailand you can most likely pay them to help you out a little extra.
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

if you claim on your insurance, tell them it was taken from your bag...not that you left it unattended or else they won't cough up.
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

GLCQuantum wrote:
So here comes my first EVER call for assistance from the police. Due to my previous arrests, they know me well and sat me down with a cup of coffee as usual, just minus the handcuffs this time. They take all my details, but not before I've had to return all the way home (a mere 152 baht there and back) to get my passport. They wouldn't accept as much as a hello until I had my passport details on the counter. I let them know the exact time I was at the ATM by a receipt and ask them to look at the two cameras to identify the 'finders keepers' take and run thief. They inform me that they can't do anything until Monday - when the bank is open. 'Come again? You can't ask the bank manager to come in tomorrow because a theft has taken place on their property?', apparently not. They told me to come back on Tuesday. So, defeated, gutted and wallowing in self pity, I took my police report, scored some weed from the shorter policeman and went home defeated.

So what do you think? Two cameras on the ATM, a twenty minute time frame, in broad daylight and the iPad cover is a very visible bright pink (someone gave it to me... free's free!). Are the Royal Thai Police going to crack this case? :D

I'm generally a glass half full guy, but on this occasion I have absolute faith that the snatch and grabbers will be caught and prosecuted accordingly. This month, my laptop's kicked the bucket, my TV has acquired 'convergence' problems (unwatchable...double vision) and now my 600 hundred quid iPad's missing, but I'm expecting the latter will be returned to me shortly once the police have conducted their investigation. :D

Yours truly,

Broke
[Trolling edited - unnecessary.]
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Blimey man.....if you forget something important that's a thief magnet, somewhere like that, then it's your fault really......this is not the world of yesterday when virtue was easier to find.

Mark it down to experience as I doubt you'll see anything resembling a decent outcome on this one.....don't be absent-minded.

As for the Thai police......keep your expectations low is the best idea as they are the biggest mafia of them all....better not to have any dealings with them at all.....although seems from your post you have already screwed that one by coming to their attention.....that's a big fail.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

Re-reading the post i understand this all started because you were in the process of lending money.
...Now i'm not everyone and everyone is'nt me...but its something i think people should never do (lend or borrow money)
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D