Fly Tipping (Illegal Dumping of Waste Materiels)

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Fly Tipping

Post by HHTel »

zeitgeist wrote:There is a municipal rubbish tip on soi 112
I know the site you're talking about. I used to live 2 mins away. When the wind's in the wrong direction the smell is awful. It was supposed to have been moved more than 2 years ago...TIT. However, it's not a municipal tip and classes itself as a recycling centre. There is no facility for private individuals to dump their rubbish there.

Having said that, there really needs to be a facility where you can dump rubbish. 'Fly tipping' is endemic all over Thailand. The Thais don't seem to have any pride in their own countryside. How many times do you see trucks and m/cycles throwing the remains of their plastic bag to the side of the road without thought. A good move (which is practiced all over Europe) would be to restrict the issue of plastic bags!!

Occasionally, where a site is popular for dumping rubbish, a policeman is placed to take (or fine) companies who illegally dump rubbish. Unfortunately, this is just another money grabbing scam by the police and nothing further is done.

Thais need to have some respect for their own environment. Will this happen? I doubt it.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Fly Tipping

Post by margaretcarnes »

prcscct wrote:
PS: "Fly Tipping" is a challenging concept for non-British. :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Sadly it isn't a strange concept in England either Pete. A pathway between my place and a railway line - about 200 metres long - is constantly littered with unwanted goods ranging from old mattresses to TVs - plus the obligatory supermarket trolleys of course. Much of it ends up on the track side as well.
To add to the problem Railtrack have removed the vegetation down there which means that the few thoughtful folk who once stuck their empty cans onto branches now have to leave them on the ground. We do of course have regular bin collections. Also an annual allowance of free Council collection of large items, as well as passes for the Municipal tips. But some people will just never care.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Fly Tipping (Illegal Dumping of Waste Materiels)

Post by migrant »

Unfortunately it is common in other countries too. I remember in Honduras my old GF's son tossed wrappers on the ground even though a trash can was close. I commented and both he, and my GF, were surprised why I bothered. It was not unusual to see a family picnic on the beach, then leave with all the trash left where they were
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

This is not endemic to just Hua Hin or Thailand - the plastic generation extends right across Southeast Asia and dumping trash on any random empty chunk of land is common in all neighbouring countries.

Education is the key, maybe when their countries are just a soulless slab of polluted concrete like ours with most of the land and natural resources used up they might just think "shit, maybe we shouldn't have destroyed our environment". But then again maybe not - they'll just dump it all in the ocean instead ... :guns:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I accept that it happens everywhere, but my point is that the message to the world is Thailand has cleaned up it's beaches, and they are in pristine condition. The message doesn't include the fact that the rest of the country is likely to be a rubbish tip.

I would have much greater respect for what is going if rather than just whitewashing the bits that might appear in travel brochures, they developed longer term policies that will provide for proper waste management/educate people.

It's now been stated that the Soi 112 tip is not a public facility. So does anybody know what happens to the municipal waste collections? They must take the waste somewhere.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote:I accept that it happens everywhere, but my point is that the message to the world is Thailand has cleaned up it's beaches, and they are in pristine condition.
Dream on ...
DSC_9812.jpg
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:laugh: Point taken.

I've seen Khao Takiab looking less than pristine as well.
Khao Takiab looking less than pristine
Khao Takiab looking less than pristine
DSC04270a.jpg (177.74 KiB) Viewed 432 times
But surely, the Army have cleansed the beaches now :wink:

Points 48; Position 20
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

big boy that is the place where the bin wagons are emptied its just not open for public use

they place skips around for that

you would not want to go there anyway the smell is stumach curning
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, I can't say I've noticed the skips - are they anywhere in particular?

My reason for asking is that I recently had a bed settee, 2 armchairs and a mattress to dispose of. Fortunately, we found new (less fortunate) homes for all of it, but at one stage I was looking for the local tip - without success. Would the skips have been large enough for those items?

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote: My reason for asking is that I recently had a bed settee, 2 armchairs and a mattress to dispose of. Fortunately, we found new (less fortunate) homes for all of it, but at one stage I was looking for the local tip -
It would never occur to me to 'dump' anything like that here. There's always a grateful home for such items not far away. If you don't know of anyone who wants them, I'm sure your neighbours will, or the local shop, or next door's gardener, etc. Glad you found someone.
This is the way
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

Sorry BB, looks like I mislead you.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Thailand is filthy everywhere you go. Every open space has trash piled up. Beer bottles. Homes with trash in the front yard. Roadsides. Beaches. Streets. Everything. Everywhere. Don't foget about black clouds of diesel in your face. It is just one big pile of garbage and filth.
Last edited by JamesWest on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

JamesWest wrote:Thailand is filthy everywhere you go. Every open space has trash piled up. Homes with trash in the front yard. Roadsides. Everywhere. It will take decades to educate and change behavior. It will takes decades to undo the damage.
So you educate people to not dump and take the trash where?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

JamesWest wrote:Thailand is filthy everywhere you go. Every open space has trash piled up. Beer bottles. Homes with trash in the front yard. Roadsides. Beaches. Streets. Everything. Everywhere. Don't foget about black clouds of diesel in your face. It is just one big pile of garbage and filth.

I wish everyone would stop complaining and trying to change Thailand. If you don't like it please don't come here. It will be a sad day when all the unique culture, fun and freedom is gone. If you don't like the wild west, stay out of Dodge.
Irony. I love it. :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

stay out of Dodge.
Good advice because once you move half way around the world and decide you don't really like Dodge, it's kind of like Hotel California... "you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"... :P
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?