Fly Tipping (Illegal Dumping of Waste Materiels)

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Fly Tipping (Illegal Dumping of Waste Materiels)

Post by Big Boy »

We are continually hearing about the beaches of Thailand being cleaned up to improve the country's tourism image. What about the roads the same tourists have to travel along to reach the pristine beaches?

I regularly travel the new (barely 1 year old) link road from Soi 94 to Soi 102. It is quite disturbing to see the amount of fly tipping at the side of this road. OK, there isn't a beach at either end of the road, but the problem is nationwide.

I've prepared a short video from my Dash Cam footage to demonstrate, but this will be nothing new to those of you living in Thailand.

I'm not sure what the answer is though. As far as I know, there aren't any municipal rubbish tips.

Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Re: Fly Tipping

Post by zeitgeist »

There is a municipal rubbish tip on soi 112
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

My experience in my neck of the woods is that nothing will be done until it gets so bad some official becomes offended by it. You'll then see BIG formal wooden signs, red barrier tape and a massive cleanup.

Laziness and disregard will simply continue somewhere else though unfortunately.

PS: "Fly Tipping" is a challenging concept for non-British. :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

zeitgeist wrote:There is a municipal rubbish tip on soi 112
Is there? Where is it close to please? I've been the whole length of the Soi many times, but have never noticed it. Must be keeping my eyes on the road :D

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PS: "Fly Tipping" is a challenging concept for non-British. Pete
I mis-read it and thought it was "fly ripping". :shock:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dumping rubbish, whether it be a whole pickup/lorry load or simply throwing rubbish from the car window is endemic throughout Thailand. Whilst it's true that there aren't a great number of official municipality rubbish tips there are some, but I doubt very much that if they doubled/trebled the number, people would still fly tip.
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

Big Boy wrote:
zeitgeist wrote:There is a municipal rubbish tip on soi 112
Is there? Where is it close to please? I've been the whole length of the Soi many times, but have never noticed it. Must be keeping my eyes on the road :D
Not really on 112 but as most of the soi's don't have names or numbers I just call it 112.
As you drive up 112, turn right when you see the sign for Emerald housing project and follow the until it forks and bear right.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you - I'll make a point of trying to find it. I'm assuming anybody can use it.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ok, got this from Wiki which explains the roots: "The term fly tipping is derived from the verb tip, meaning "to throw out of a vehicle" and on the fly, meaning "on the wing" – to throw away carelessly or casually...."
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

When the wife was in Thailand a few weeks ago, she had several large trees cut down at the house.

This was done bye a local contractor with a lorry, to take away the 3 loads of waste.

He was away for about 3 hours each load, dumping the waste, but would not tell the wife exactly where it was being tipped, only telling her that he had some land where it would be tipped.

I suspect but I'm not sure, that it was just dumped on "waste land" as most waste is disposed of in Thailand.

At least, being organic waste, it would eventually rot down, unlike the rubbish in BigBoys video.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, the mess in the video is mainly builders rubble (used to be sold as hardcore in the UK?), with the occasional sofa and mattress intermingled.

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

prcscct wrote:Ok, got this from Wiki which explains the roots: "The term fly tipping is derived from the verb tip, meaning "to throw out of a vehicle" and on the fly, meaning "on the wing" – to throw away carelessly or casually...."
Reading the title I was thinking of cow tipping and wondered how it applied to flies :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:lach: OMG, you guys have got to learn to speak proper English like what we does :wink:

Points 48; Position 20
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Fly Tipping (Illegal Dumping of Waste Materiels)

Post by Bristolian »

^^ agreed. But then we wouldn't need to talk about trash. Rubbish would suffice unless I'm talking rubbish/trash :cheers:
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Re: Fly Tipping (Illegal Dumping of Waste Materiels)

Post by bsdk1960 »

each time I'm up and fishing in Khorat with my BIL I always insist that we take our rubbish/trash with us,and every bloddy time
he looks at me like I'm comming from the moon.
Found a way to make him do it : told him there will be no food or Beer since that never a problem :laugh:

:cheers: :cheers: