Is Living Here Difficult for You?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.

Are you enjoying your stay here less than before?

Yes, living somewhere else is appealing to me right now
19%
There are good days and bad days...
20%
No, I still very much enjoy most things here
61%

Total votes: 70

GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Is Living Here Difficult for You?

Post by GLCQuantum »

I'm sure most of you good folk have noticed from the tone of my recent posts that I'm not having the time of my life here. Working here takes an enormous amount of patience and lip biting. If that wasn't enough I also have to deal with being one of 10 westerners in what's probably a 10 mile radius where I live... Good ol' Samut Sakhon.

I can't remember who, but I know someone else on this forum has lived here so knows what I'm talking about. The place is just one big factory. With that comes a billion factory workers of course.

Back to the title....

... I've lost my love of the place and (most of) its people. I used to be the guy who always backed up their actions in an argument, but that's changed after 10 years. I now find myself trying not to be that guy who forever complains about stuff here. I used to HATE listening to those guys waffling on!

I just can't seem to turn a blind eye to how things are here anymore, like I used to do so easily.The fact that there's even a discussion about us aliens having to wear a wristband ID, baffles me. It's little things like that you see.

I'm sure it's a different ball game if you're retired here and can do things as and when you please. I just wondered if I am the only one who's opinion of the place has changed so drastically or are there many others about?

If it's only me, then I better get back on the meds sharpish... :wink:

:cheers:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Is Living Here Difficult for You?

Post by richard »

Well I voted 'good days and bad days'

I've travelled a lot, worked at different companies, had different jobs and lived at different addresses since I was 5 years old so you could label me as a 'grumpy old nomad' which I am on bad days but on good days I'm on cloud nine. Over the years with old age creeping on, my options to change have narrowed but my attitude was, is and always will be..'if you don't like it then move on'

At your tender age the world is your oyster IMO

NEVER let the bar stewards get you down is a good motto :cheers: :cheers:

In answer to your question 'Is Living Here Difficult for You' my answer is NO. Life does not have to be complicated or difficult.....Chill :rasta:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

I tell many people that Thailand is a good place to live but a tough place to work. Samut Sakhon is not one of Thailand's best places either. Can you not look for a job in a better place?
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

I can understand anyones frustration at the moment, it seems to be one silly comment or thing after another.
I'm so glad i dont have any serious money invested here, i feel bad for those that do, especially those with business depending on high visitor numbers.
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It was certainly my experience of working in SE Asia that it wasn't really a great deal of fun. I spent six years in Indonesia and it was a pretty frustrating place to try and make a living, and I was working for a British company. Since then I've been happier doing contract work in Europe but based out of Thailand. In Europe, providing you're competent, you pretty much just get on with your own job and everything else is other peoples problems but in Asia, you seem to have to solve everything yourself.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

I'll echo Richard's answer.
It is not difficult to be living here!
Just why do you ask?

I've lived here more than 11 years and have (unfortunately) seen this small town change to a bigger and more attracted town by a couple of hundred (thousands) of (Bangkokians) or what ever.
If you'd seen and loved (as i did), this small fishing town turned into a F'ck'ing tourist trap I guess you'd better off in Chiang Rai.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Relax and come have a beer GLCQ.....
It's Richard's round :)
https://uk.screen.yahoo.com/how-not-to- ... 00765.html
;)
GN.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

heartofmidlothian wrote:I tell many people that Thailand is a good place to live but a tough place to work.
Yes, and I think that's where the poll falls down - it just mentions living here. I still enjoy living here and, to a degree, working here.

I well remember working in government service for 20 years - petty bureaucrats building their little empires, self-aggrandisement, stupid rules, constantly shifting political constraints, etc., etc. - just as many frustrations as working here. It's all down to how you deal with them.

One thing I can say for an absolute certainty is that if I were 30-odd, a qualified teacher, single and unhappy with my job and my lifestyle, I'd be off like a shot to one of the many countries I've always wanted to see, spend a year or so teaching and then move on to the next place on the list.
This is the way
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Ginja

:laugh: Get your arse back here after your best man duties in that renegade part of the union and I'll gladly buy you a wee dram or three. Maybe if GLCQ joins us you can swing him a job on a Scottish rig off Aberdeen. I'm sure he'd enjoy that :laugh:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

richard wrote:Ginja

:laugh: Get your arse back here after your best man duties in that renegade part of the union and I'll gladly buy you a wee dram or three. Maybe if GLCQ joins us you can swing him a job on a Scottish rig off Aberdeen. I'm sure he'd enjoy that :laugh:
I'm back already.... not even GLCQ wants a job in the North Sea.... a few days doing that p*sh and he'll be pining to get back to S.S.
:cheers:
GN.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Thai people, nice to live with, nice to sleep with, insanely frustrating to work with.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

When the overriding emotion you feel towards your hosts is contempt, it's time to move on. But ask yourself whether it is their attitude and behaviour that has changed during the intervening years or yours. Chances are this will happen in other places, too, until you learn to be happy with yourself and you can genuinely accept others as they are and not as you would wish them to be.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I don't live in Thailand, nor have I worked there.

I think we can all get frustrated where we live. I live in Southern California, make a good living, but can't wait to get out. It's a place people dream of coming to, but I've had enough and am looking forward to a move to Thailand in a little under a year. Perhaps a few years there will change my mind, but I'll be retired so can "go with the flow".

Most of us get the grass is greener on the other side feelings at times.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think except for very few, everyone gets bored of the places they live for a long time. We're creatures of change! :D
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Good Luck Migrant, hope you like Thailand living. I am hoping to at least have a few months per year
living either at Hua Hin or Cha AM in the next 2 years. Meanwhile I go over there for a month or so
and stay with my Thai family in BKK, and some time around Thailand, with at least a week in
Hua Hin. I still would like a week or so in Phuket at Kata or Karon Beaches, the swimming there is great, but will have to see how my finances are in 2 years, as hotel prices have climbed since my last visit.
Attachments
Kata and Karon beaches 2007
Kata and Karon beaches 2007
phpW0ZE9sPM[1].jpg (67.45 KiB) Viewed 7904 times
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.