Any downside to retiring in Hua Hin

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Any downside to retiring in Hua Hin

Post by STEVE G »

One thing that struck me was that financially, nearly everything I've read says that if you expect a "satisfying" retirement you should have an income equal to 80% of what you were earning before retiring. If you are willing to drastically downsize your life and think you can still be happy the minimum you need is 66% of what your last working salary was.
The problem is, what do you do if you don't have a pension of 80% of income, work until you die or change your lifestyle?
Personally speaking, a large portion of my salary at the moment goes on bringing up children and building a house to retire into and I only actually spend a small portion of it on living, so providing I don't have more children or build more houses, I reckon I could could live exactly the same life, or better, on 50%.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Steve, a Civil Service Pension is only 50%. OK, not so much of my income is taxed, and I don't have to pay things such as National Insurance. That, coupled with the lower cost of living, I don't foresee any difficulties.

We live here fairly comfortably on 50%, and certainly spend more than we need to i.e. we could cut back on quite a few luxuries and still be fine if we had to. We've bought everything we need, so its only maintenance from here on in.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Be cautious when approaching years 8-10. I'm beginning to see things break down and need major repair or replacement. Not a bad idea to save a bit in your budget for that eventuality.

For example, very expensive oven/hob combined had electronics go bad and Electrolux doesn't make the circuit panel any longer. :banghead: Air conditioners having small things go wrong that needs a service call and waiting for a big one where replacement may be better, and of course compressor warranties are over at year 5 or 7. Frig is beginning to make strange noises and hope only a defrosting fan. 5 year old coffee maker/grinder (not cheap Phillips Saeco) had electronics go out. Electrolux clothes dryer into shop twice for repairs. Toshiba top loading washer into the shop for repairs. Pool Hayward pump motor had to be rebuilt. Water pumps, both replaced at year 7 as tired of getting them fixed. Guts in toilet tanks being replaced one by one as mechanisms falling apart (American Standard)

The list could go on. Everything that was brand, spanking new and you felt so warm and fuzzy about less than a decade ago now begins to self destruct in front of your eyes. :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I class that as maintenance. The budget can easily cope with replacements at end of life. The big outlay was initial purchasing. I actually think I have purchased the last big items this week, so its now just repair/replacement as it happens - hopefully everything will not die at the same time.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

prcscct wrote:Be cautious when approaching years 8-10. I'm beginning to see things break down and need major repair or replacement. Not a bad idea to save a bit in your budget for that eventuality.

For example, very expensive oven/hob combined had electronics go bad and Electrolux doesn't make the circuit panel any longer. :banghead: Air conditioners having small things go wrong that needs a service call and waiting for a big one where replacement may be better, and of course compressor warranties are over at year 5 or 7. Frig is beginning to make strange noises and hope only a defrosting fan. 5 year old coffee maker/grinder (not cheap Phillips Saeco) had electronics go out. Electrolux clothes dryer into shop twice for repairs. Toshiba top loading washer into the shop for repairs. Pool Hayward pump motor had to be rebuilt. Water pumps, both replaced at year 7 as tired of getting them fixed. Guts in toilet tanks being replaced one by one as mechanisms falling apart (American Standard)

The list could go on. Everything that was brand, spanking new and you felt so warm and fuzzy about less than a decade ago now begins to self destruct in front of your eyes. :laugh: Pete :cheers:
I think this applies to wherever you live. I suppose some things may be more expensive in Thailand, well imported items anyway.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Yes indeed, things wear out everywhere. Just giving a warning that if on a fixed income there will eventually be unexpected expenses and some will be expensive if going for higher end appliances or whatever.

One comment is that currently I won't touch Electrolux again with a 10' poll. I don't know what's happened to them but quality is not what I expected. I think everything we get here in Thailand (frig, dryers, oven, vaccum etc.,) come out of their Australia factories. I now try to find German designed and produced items. Never bad luck with them (so far).

All that being said, I think the fluctuating electricity here and the way places are wired play havoc with appliances with electronic controls no matter what the brand name.

In my former life in the west appliances and machinery never went bad, regardless of age, as they do here. Pete :cheers:

PS: Mods, move this to a new thread maybe if it turns into an appliance/machinery/electric supply QC discussion.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Steve, a Civil Service Pension is only 50%....
Yes and you have one of the best pensions in the UK so I can't imagine that many, if any, are getting 80%.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

It's income equal to 80% not a state or company pension of 80%

So it could be a combination of pension, investments, property rental, etc.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Electrolux clothes dryer into shop twice for repairs.

Really????...An electric clothes dryer in this climate :tsk:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ I think that the estimate of 80% is too high. I base this on the fact that when retired there are no commuting costs, unless there are still ongoing rental costs most retirees (if not most thane many) will already have negligible housing costs, kids grown up with fewer associated costs.

It really depends on lifestyle and retirement expectations. If golf, as an expensive hobby, is an expectation and a retiree has more days to play...the costs go up proportionately. Estimates I have seen previously indicate 60-65% is more than sufficient if expectations are not excessive. Want to travel the world, travel Asia, eat out 4-5 time a week, continue renting a home etc than of course it can cost more when you are retired than when you are working. How long is a piece of string???
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Electrolux number 1 for honesty. Remember the slogan ”Nothing sucks like Electrolux”? Actually we have an Electrolux fridge still going strong after 15 years. The outside's a bit tatty though.

My pension won't be anything like 80% of salary. But living here is a lot cheaper than in the UK. We have a house fully paid for and there's no council tax and no winter heating requirements.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSK ... 5?irpc=932

Here is a survey of 1,350 retirees about net worth and income, assets and home equity.

How much do you need to retire happy? Wes Moss has your number
By Mark Miller
CHICAGO | Tue Aug 5, 2014 2:19pm EDT
Email
Facebook
Twitter
By Mark Miller

CHICAGO (Reuters) - (The opinions expressed here are those of the author, a columnist for Reuters.)

It may be true that money can’t buy you love, but can it buy happiness in retirement? Most people would say it can, but financial planner Wes Moss wanted the details: Just how much money does it take to retire happily - and is there a point of diminishing happiness return on the size of a nest egg?

Moss surveyed 1,350 retirees about net worth and income, assets and home equity. But he wasn’t hunting for the number of dollars it takes to live - rather, he wanted to understand how money correlates to retirees’ levels of happiness. To that end, he posed a series of detailed questions about their lives: where they shop, what kinds of cars they drive, how many vacations they take annually, their family lives and the activities they pursue. Then he associated their levels of reported happiness with their financial condition.

Here’s what he found: Most people can be happy in retirement with savings of about $500,000. A higher number can buy more happiness, but only to a point.

“There is a plateau-ing effect above that number, and the higher you get the rate of increase gets smaller," Moss says. "I call it diminishing marginal happiness.”

Moss, managing partner and chief investment strategist at Capital Investment Advisors in Atlanta, explores the correlation of wealth and retirement happiness in his new book, "You Can Retire Sooner Than You Think: The 5 Money Secrets of the Happiest Retirees" (McGraw-Hill, June 2014). Moss is a registered investment adviser who previously worked for a big Wall street firm.

His five secrets include a careful determination of what you actually want to spend money on in retirement and how you’ll save to meet your goals; paying off your mortgage early; developing diverse sources of income in retirement; and learning how to invest for income.

Here’s an edited transcript of five questions I asked Moss about his findings in a recent interview.

Q. Who are the happy retirees, and what makes them happy?

It’s not how much you save but how much you save in relation to what you need. When I worked on Wall Street, what we always were trying to breed is an expectation with clients that they need to spend more and more - you need an infinite amount because you will need to spend just as much or more in retirement. That’s what the mutual fund industry and Wall Street preach.

But we found that for most people, the amount of happiness correlates to median savings around $500,000. There are some increases above that number, but it’s a slower rate of incremental gains. So think of $500,000 as a financial bare minimum.

Q. Are the happy retirees making adjustments to their spending in order to be comfortable?

The survey data doesn’t tell me that, but my real-life experiences with clients suggest that people take a realistic look at how much income they’ll have - perhaps they have two or three thousand in Social Security income, and they can take another $3,000 monthly from their investments. They look at that and decide that they can live a good life on $6,000 a month.

Q. What makes retirees unhappy - and how can people avoid winding up there?

Many of the unhappy retirees are still paying mortgages, with no light at the end of the tunnel. Another thing I see a lot is people who don’t take care of big expenses before they retire - they wait to redo the kitchen until they retire because they think they’ll have time to deal with it then. But it’s much better to do these things while you’re working and still have cash flow.

Another mistake is people who don’t have enough core pursuits in retirement. They were too myopic and entrenched in making money and working before, and now they’re not as busy as they need to be. They are blindsided by free time.

Q. I’ve heard both sides of the mortgage-in-retirement argument - some argue it’s better to invest that money rather than use it to pay off a mortgage. Sounds like you’re a firm believer in getting rid of them.

If you have resources in a taxable account, I’d rather see a client use that to pay off the mortgage in one fell swoop - or, just accelerate your monthly payments by $200 to $400, which can shave a full decade off of a mortgage. I know people will argue that they can get a higher return putting that money in stocks, but I’ve seen a lot of periods in my career where all the market did was crash and then recover. Most Americans don’t get that average 9 percent stock market return over time, so a safer bet is to save that guaranteed 4 or 5 percent that a mortgage costs. Also, with older clients, what I see is an enormous level of contentment among people who have figured out how to get rid of their mortgages.

Q. Your book lays out a model for retiring early - or earlier than you think you could. That runs counter to much of the talk we hear today about longevity and the need for everyone to work longer. Why do you think people can retire earlier than planned - and how do you define the word “early”?

I define it as being in a position retire at 60 or 62. And there is a group of people where it’s obvious they have the financial means to retire - but the concept is foreign and they don’t have a handle on their finances. I’ve had many client meetings with couples where one spouse thinks they can retire, and the other doesn’t - but when you add up all their different accounts, you see that they have $750,000, along with pensions and Social Security. These are people who definitely could retire if they choose.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

It is going to vary for everyone. I deal with a lot of retirees and spending habits vary wildly.

Like Pete says, maintenance on your property is important to budget in.

Bristolian also hit a good point, once retired people have more time on their hands, how will you spend it? Travel, golf are expensive so that needs to be factored in.

The above article excerpts make a lot of sense.

As we age healthcare also becomes a larger cost so another consideration.

My biggest budget items are the ability to travel back to the states yearly, and other, smaller trips around Asia, if need be I can cut back on those, but to try to cut back on food, housing, etc, is going to make an unhappy retiree.

What I do with my clients is work out a budget based upon their expenses today, a budget as to what they want to do when they retire, factor in an amount for inflation, look at income sources when retired, and see how it all fits. When you add that to the unique situation expat's have of currency fluctuations, it makes it real important to plan.

Nothing worse than retiring and finding out you don't have enough money! Part time jobs in Thailand to supplement your retirement income are hard to come by!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

They look at that and decide that they can live a good life on $6,000 a month.
Agree with that, that would be about 70% of what I was earning when I retired. Unfortunately I'm forced to live on less than $4000 per month unless I want to draw down my savings, which I am keeping for health emergencies at the moment.

4k U.S. is enough to live here, but not the life I want. I had to quit golf and I would like to travel, but as for just living we have a nice place to live and plenty of food and drink and all the basic needs including for me, satellite tv, good internet, and the ability to use the A/C all I want/need to.

6k would allow me to play a lot of golf and travel so I think that is a good number for me. Mind you, I support 3 people so a single person can do a lot more for less.

My early retirement (at 55) was based on the old 3 legged stool criteria. A company pension, plus Social Security (U.S. government pension), plus personal savings. Each of those would have been much more if I had waited 5 more years to retire, which is what I should have done, but as they say, hindsight is 20-20, or as we say in the south... if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass hopping.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

A lot of good points raised in this thread, but most of them have stuff all to do with Hua Hin.
The question has two parts: retiring and Hua Hin.

Retiring: having been forced to retire on medical grounds long before I intended, as far as I am concerned retirement SUCKS!

Hua Hin: A multitude of answers, each of which is subjective. The more correct question should be: compared to where? :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!