Power cuts

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Thriftydrifter
Amateur
Amateur

Power cuts

Post by Thriftydrifter »

We got used to power cuts in India (at least one every 3 days, and 2 or 3 in a day wasn't unknown), but we had one here the other evening which caught us unprepared - it appeared to affect at least the block around us, not just our apartments. How often do they happen in Hua Hin?
Big Boy

Re: Power cuts

Post by Big Boy »

I would say about as frequently as India. They seem to become more frequent as the weather worsens.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Thriftydrifter
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Thriftydrifter »

Big Boy wrote:I would say about as frequently as India. They seem to become more frequent as the weather worsens.
Really? This was the first in 2 weeks so I'd assumed they weren't that common - guess we just hit a lucky streak. Oh well, better add candles to the shopping list!

In India there seemed to be 3 kinds - the 30-45 minute one between 7pm and 8pm (load shedding), the 9am prompt to around 4pm on a weekday kind (working on the power lines) and then the random fault ones. Is there any pattern here?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It must depend where you live, but outside of the rainy season we hardly ever get power cuts and even in the rainy season they are nothing like twice a week or more, probably not even once every 2 weeks.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

Same here very seldom north of town... Not a major issue or concern for us....
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I did wonder about location. Most ours last no more than a minute, but they are frequent.

Points 48; Position 20
Hobiecat
Professional
Professional

Post by Hobiecat »

I just spent three days in India last week. Calcutta, Nagpur and Ahmedabad. I know what you mean as the power failed in all three locations a couple of times a day, mind you only for short periods of time. Ten years in HH and I've never experienced power cuts like India. Maybe once every week or two in south HH.
Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This is interesting, I live just off Soi 94. I've also got a friend living about 3/4 a mile away who suffers similar frequency. As I said, most last less than a minute, but we get an outage at least every 2 to 3 days. Often the only way we know is that our electric clock in the bedroom starts flashing violently, and tells us how long since power was restored.

Still, I suppose we can't complain - we've never had a problem with water. TIT and we all have to suffer a little hardship one way or another :D .

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Maybe there is some north/south divide? I'm north of the town centre by a couple of kilometres and I reckon I could count the number of power cuts were get each year on the fingers of one hand. As with others, when they do happen they're normally really short - a matter of seconds.
Thriftydrifter
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Thriftydrifter »

I'm near Soi 94 - I suppose it's possible that we have had <1 minute power cuts that we haven't noticed.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I lived in Dusita for almost 2 years and in that time only got TWO power cuts (one which was planned and warned about). I still live off 112 but they're much more frequent (although only about 1 per fortnight). They don't usually last long.

However last Thursday we had a power surge followed by a cut for only a few seconds. Seems it affected Khao Takiab too so was pretty widespread. This time, it blew 2 ceiling fans, a floor fan, couple of light switches and my oven (which cost over 60,000). Wish I could sue the electric company!
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

HHTel wrote:I lived in Dusita for almost 2 years and in that time only got TWO power cuts (one which was planned and warned about). I still live off 112 but they're much more frequent (although only about 1 per fortnight). They don't usually last long.

However last Thursday we had a power surge followed by a cut for only a few seconds. Seems it affected Khao Takiab too so was pretty widespread. This time, it blew 2 ceiling fans, a floor fan, couple of light switches and my oven (which cost over 60,000). Wish I could sue the electric company!
:shock:
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

we only have 1 in th last 3 month here in smornprong near the old Imm. office but that lasted
fo 30-45 min.

:cheers: :cheers:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I've had to buy 3 battery backups to get my sensitive electronic gear through the frequent but short power blips. They beep a couple of times and stop so if I didn't have them the PVR, TV receiver, and the computer would crash daily... well worth the investment.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Is it possible to fit circuit breakers to protect against surges ? I recall I did something like that in the UK to protect my television against lightening ( after the house had been struck By a flash off course)