Mobile Phone Top-Up Machine

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
PeteC

Mobile Phone Top-Up Machine

Post by PeteC »

VincentD wrote:Mr. P I just invested in a coin-operated mobile phone top-up machine - I get a whole load of coins a week. Might be a good idea to get one to compliment your small business? Outright cost for machine was 25,000 baht, three SIM cards with credit another 3,000 baht. I've had to top up credit twice within 3 weeks, top up value another 3,000 baht. I make 3 baht per transaction.
How does this all work Vincent? I'm sure there are a lot of details concerning acquisition, approval, security and importantly....where and how you can place the machines? I would assume in front of someone's shop they'll want a cut of your 3 Baht.

I didn't know such machines existed so would be interesting to learn more. No need for you to give away all your trade secrets. :wink: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: Mobile Phone Top-Up Machine

Post by Big Boy »

I've seen these machines for sale in Big Kiang. I'd always thought it was a weird thing to have on sale - I didn't realise it could be turned into a commercial venture.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

My neighbour up in Surin has one, they look like a toy not much bigger than a shoe box painted in bright colors with this little antenna sat on top.
They need to be plugged into the mains electricity and have a small analog green screen that has sub menus for network and how much you wish to top up and also a number pad.
Khun Batcha plugged his machine in then disapiered to return with this tin box full of coins he explained that this cutting edge machine will only take 10,baht coins .

So for a giggle I asked him to top my phone up with 500, baht and why he was at it you can pop another 300, baht on my wife's phone. He was their for about 15 Minuits plugging coins into this thing like a slot machine in Vagas he even broke out in a sweat I had to walk away a couple of times as he had to keep wiping his brow with his sleave and I couldn't keep a strait face.

Kendo. :D
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Pete there are some companies who install it for around 7000 baht in front of your premises; it belongs to them and they take responsibility for theft etc you will too supply electricity and will get a percentage of the take. You can also buy the machine outright for 25000 baht but as it belongs to you, you are totally responsible. You do, however get the complete take. The bill reader is a 10000 baht option (which I will be taking).
The machine sits in front of the house chained to a pillar and anchored to the ground. Kendo it takes all denominations except satang and the boonies where I am most people use coins anyway. It is a convenience for the whole village as it can be heard in operation late at night (has voice-driven menu as well) and complements the automatic fuel dispenser as well. (Bought and installed one of those too).
วินเชนท์
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks Vincent, all very interesting to consider. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

My neighbour told me his one would only take ten baht coins and also he made 3% per on it maybe lost in translation a little bit but his English is ok for a rice farmer, still top my phone up next door very handy.
It was quite funny though.

Kendo. :D

VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Kendo 3 baht per transaction. The transactions are 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100 baht per time.
วินเชนท์
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Yes ok I remember on the little green screen the sub menu that he done for me in 100 baht units, if that's the case I should have got him to top my phone up in blocks of 20 baht units but he would have been there all day. :|

Kendo. :cheers: