Wan Wai Khru

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Bamboo Grove

Wan Wai Khru

Post by Bamboo Grove »

The schools have opened after the summer vacation in Thailand. Today in many schools all over the country students are attending the "Wai Khru" -ceremony. This could be translated as "Show respect to your teacher" -ceremony. I was lucky to attend this ceremony nine times during my Bangkok teaching years in 1990-98. These are small children but the procedure was basically the same in the college (senior high) were I taught.

https://www.youtube.com
PeteC

Re: Wan Wai Khru

Post by PeteC »

Link incomplete Bamboo....it just goes to YouTube's main page.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I confess that seeing youngsters shuffling on their knees before bowing down before their teachers (of which I was one) made me feel extremely uncomfortable. I participated once when I first started teaching here, but haven't been to any ceremonies since then. I understand the tradition and the concept, but I've always felt that respect is something that should be earned.

I'm not having a go at any teacher who attends, just expressing my own feelings.
My experiences were at a university, not a school.

This is the way
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Maybe there's more pukka sahib in me than you, dtaai-maai :? :D Actually, I do like to see peope retaining some of the beautiful parts of their culture. Long time ago I lived in China for a short spell and they had destryed almost everything beautiful from their own culture. That's what I find depressing. I agree with you that real respect must be earned but that's what every teacher is responsible to get in their teaching.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I have mixed feelings also. I may get a chance to talk to some Thai teachers as well as admin from a Thai, English programme school tomorrow night. If I see an opening to bring up the subject....I'll report back reactions/comments. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

No luck tonight. Small turnout at beach restaurant as big waves and onshore wind once again. I'll post some pics tomorrow of the angry sea. Anyway, any chance to talk to any teacher/admin about this custom now needs to wait until start of new school year end of August. Everyone goes to the four winds next Thursday. Pete.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

dtaai-maai wrote:I confess that seeing youngsters shuffling on their knees before bowing down before their teachers (of which I was one) made me feel extremely uncomfortable.

I am with you 100% on this one. I attended a Fathers Day event the one year and this included the Fathers going up on stage and then their kids doing the knee shuffle and etc in front of them. I felt really uncomfortable when my two daughters had to do this to me, but thankfully my daughters, and especially my oldest daughter, understands how I feel about this, so she was actually smiling, secretly knowing that I think it's a load of bollocks. To be honest, if it weren't for the fact that I don't want to make trouble for my kids, I would flat out refuse to allow them to kneel before anyone unless there's a gun aimed at their heads.

Also not having a dig at teachers or at Thai culture; it's just something I feel quite strongly about. I also think it is designed to reinforce the notion that kids should never question authority - just shut up and do as you are told. As others have said - respect must be earned.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Several years ago I was at a small village west of Udon Thani.
The school was getting renovated with new walls and interiors, so the students were
being taught outside nearby the school building. What I found strange was that the
class rooms were only getting started to be renovated, while the teachers office and living quarters
were all finished and looking very modern. I realized even than that the teachers were
getting lots of respect and good treatment. I wished that I could go back and see how the whole school looks now. What I did accomplish when I was in the village, was to get a rain barrel built for
the foster family that I was supporting. It was very educational to go out into the countryside and
see how people were living up country.
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.