Moaning about Hua Hin/Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Moaning about Hua Hin/Thailand

Post by dtaai-maai »

moe wrote:Quite often also with some thinly veiled racism about "TIT" and whatever generalizations about how "the Thais" are uneducated, unfriendly, short-sighted, and well, just plain low-IQ creatures. That's the general impression one gets from reading the forums, sadly. I wonder how many here would be comfortable showing a Thai friend what gets written about them?
Yep. :agree:
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

one of the best climates on the face of the Earth
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
the scenery beyond fantastic
:lach: :lach: :lach:

I found your post very insightful except for the above two comments.

If you believe those you must really come from someplace with horrible climate and scenery, and you have not traveled very much! :neener:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Well they're both very subjective point's aren't they? I happen to believe the climate is great but I'm also aware others don't like it. There again, I would personally never make a decision to move to a country if I couldn't stand the climate (unless maybe a *massive* wad of cash was waved in my face...! :D)
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

I agree with you Moe .... if old guys no longer like living in Thailand....they should catch a one-way flight back home... only if they haven't spend all there money on bar girls & beer :D .

It's annoying when people talk about Thais being thick.... there are a lot of professional Thai people, with extremely good English, however, you are less likely to find these professional Thai people in a massage parlour. :idea:
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

theprice01 wrote:you are less likely to find these professional Thai people in a massage parlour. :idea:
I thought that everyone in the massage shops where really professional. :oops: :mrgreen:
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

theprice01 wrote:I agree with you Moe .... if old guys no longer like living in Thailand....they should catch a one-way flight back home... only if they haven't spend all there money on bar girls & beer :D .

It's annoying when people talk about Thais being thick.... there are a lot of professional Thai people, with extremely good English, however, you are less likely to find these professional Thai people in a massage parlour. :idea:
I have had many professional massages in a massage parlor thank you very much!

However, outside of those same parlors I've not run into many "clever" Thai people. Certainly able to function well within their world but hardly clever.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Well said Moe. We are fortunate to live in an age where the individual has an amazing range of choices compared to previous generations. My experience of Thais to date has been favourable. They certainly don't have a monopoly on chancers and idiots.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Climate is wonderful. How much did I spend on heating my house last year. I know exactly ZERO BAHT.
OK for a couple of months its too hot and humid to do much from about 11am till 4 pm.
In the evenings twenty mins of A/C, get it to about 27 then get the overhead fans going and its fine.
You just about always know when its going to rain, no surprises, no ruined days out.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

moe wrote:
Quite often also with some thinly veiled racism about "TIT" and whatever generalizations about how "the Thais" are uneducated, unfriendly, short-sighted, and well, just plain low-IQ creatures. That's the general impression one gets from reading the forums, sadly. I wonder how many here would be comfortable showing a Thai friend what gets written about them?

You would be surprised at how many Thais read this forum. I would guess you'd be more surprised at how many Thais agree, in the main, about what is said. You imply that 'farangs' are racist, but Thais are very racist and most will freely admit it.
I'm sure you'll live here one day and I'm also sure you will change your tune.
Just because we criticise the shortfalls of this country, doesn't mean we don't want to be here. Quite the opposite. I'm sure many of us have deeper criticisms about the country we've left.

I've lived here for almost 12 years and first visited the country in 1965 and fell in love with the place then. I doubt whether anything will prompt me to 'go back home'.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

moe wrote:Quite often also with some thinly veiled racism about "TIT"
For me TIT has nothing to do with racism. I use it more in the sense like "when in Rome, do as the Romans do". I think every country can seem strange when you're used to a "different" kind of country. Sure, I can use the phrase "TIT" with a smile when I think something, in my eyes, is strange, funny or unusual. But racism, certainly not.

After all, why would I be coming back year after year if I didn't loved the people here? I hope that the only racism I practice in Thailand is that I do what I can to avoid Swedes. I have more than enough of them around me home in Sweden.
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

A few points about if the old guys went home

Due to a lack in sales beer prices would go down to try and attract clients(That would be terrible)
Bars girls in turn have to drop their prices(Again terrible)
Bars would close and never reopen and issan girls would head north(No more sexy man)

There must be more...
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

^lol, if all the bars closed H.H really would be paradise :bow:
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

centermid7 wrote:
theprice01 wrote:
I have had many professional massages in a massage parlor thank you very much!

However, outside of those same parlors I've not run into many "clever" Thai people. Certainly able to function well within their world but hardly clever.
So, clever Thai people have to speak extremely good English. If not, how would you know they are clever ?
Probably Thai people think the same about most foreigners who do not speak, or speak very bad thai and behave like illiterates who cannot even understand, read or write a simple sentence…

Actually, foreigners are generally limited to a very low level of communication and even when they are educated in their own world, they have few opportunities to run into clever Thai people who are not interested in them if they do not need their money.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^ Say what?

No where in my post will you find anything about the ability, or lack thereof, to speak either Thai or English.

OK. Carry on . . .
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

HHTel wrote:
moe wrote:
Quite often also with some thinly veiled racism about "TIT" and whatever generalizations about how "the Thais" are uneducated, unfriendly, short-sighted, and well, just plain low-IQ creatures. That's the general impression one gets from reading the forums, sadly. I wonder how many here would be comfortable showing a Thai friend what gets written about them?

You would be surprised at how many Thais read this forum. I would guess you'd be more surprised at how many Thais agree, in the main, about what is said. You imply that 'farangs' are racist, but Thais are very racist and most will freely admit it.
I'm sure you'll live here one day and I'm also sure you will change your tune.
Just because we criticise the shortfalls of this country, doesn't mean we don't want to be here. Quite the opposite. I'm sure many of us have deeper criticisms about the country we've left.

I've lived here for almost 12 years and first visited the country in 1965 and fell in love with the place then. I doubt whether anything will prompt me to 'go back home'.
:agree: