Are farangs allowed to vote in Thailand?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Are farangs allowed to vote in Thailand?

Post by dundrillin »

Are Farangs. Allowed to vote in Thailand?
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Elections

Post by caller »

Wouldn't have thought so.
Talk is cheap
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Why would they be? I can't think of any country that allows foreigners to vote in their elections.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Why would you want to vote for something that doesn't concern you in the slightest - or ever will for that matter. Know your place in the country.

:cheers:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Pleng wrote:Why would they be? I can't think of any country that allows foreigners to vote in their elections.
I think a few million illegal aliens probably vote in the U.S. because most places don't check ID or proof of citizenship at the polls. That also makes it not too difficult to vote as another person, a dead person, or more than once. In fact, when a state tries to come up with a simple photo Id law just to prove you are who you say you are, Democrats say it's racist and the ACLU sues the state. That's why our elections are a total sham nowadays. :|

The motto there is vote early and vote often. In an investigation, a dog was found to have voted in one local election last year. Political corruption is rampant everywhere, not just Thailand, ever since being a politician became a career instead of a public service.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

dundrillin wrote:Are Farangs. Allowed to vote in Thailand?
No
The voter must be a national of Thailand; if not by birth then by being a citizen for 5 years
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

hhfarang wrote:
Pleng wrote:Why would they be? I can't think of any country that allows foreigners to vote in their elections.
I think a few million illegal aliens probably vote in the U.S. because most places don't check ID or proof of citizenship at the polls. That also makes it not too difficult to vote as another person, a dead person, or more than once. In fact, when a state tries to come up with a simple photo Id law just to prove you are who you say you are, Democrats say it's racist and the ACLU sues the state. That's why our elections are a total sham nowadays. :|

The motto there is vote early and vote often. In an investigation, a dog was found to have voted in one local election last year. Political corruption is rampant everywhere, not just Thailand, ever since being a politician became a career instead of a public service.
What a crock. Dude, you really are a tool.
PeteC

Re: Are farangs allowed to vote in Thailand?

Post by PeteC »

Maybe by some stretch of the imagination the guy is talking about absentee voting? if so, the answer is yes for many countries. Register to vote at your embassy and they'll guide you on how to obtain an absentee ballot.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

centermid7 wrote: What a crock. Dude, you really are a tool.
And why is that? Do you have any reasoning or justification for the puerile name-calling?
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Thanks Bristollian you hit the nail on the head. Pleng you may get a shock if you Google who can vote in the Uk?
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Hi Dundrillin

I've just done exactly what you have suggested, and wow, yes, what a surprise!

It seems if you are from any of about 96 Countries and Resident int eh UK, you are permitted to register and vote.

That's one more piece to the puzzle!
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Just spending a few minutes searching, it does seem that quite a few countries, big and small, permit foreign residents to vote, some with as little as 2 years residency. Very interesting.
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Whats all the fuss over the reply to what HHfarang said? When you state garbage and you get called on it--Fair play. Don't you have to prove your citizenship when you register to vote---NOT every time you wanted to vote. I think the studies by many states attorney generals have shown that the amount of fraudulent voters is infinitesimally small. Nothing like Fox news would like you to believe.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

centermid7 wrote:
hhfarang wrote:

What a crock. Dude, you really are a tool.
OTT Dude. You can be proved wrong. Do the search :cheers:
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

brianks wrote:Whats all the fuss over the reply to what HHfarang said? When you state garbage and you get called on it--Fair play.
It's only fair play if there's a reasoned argument contradicting what's been said.

Sorry, but "What a crock, dude, you're a tool" doesn't qualify in my book.
This is the way