Are farangs allowed to vote in Thailand?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Are farangs allowed to vote in Thailand?

Post by Bristolian »

prcscct wrote:
Bristolian wrote:
prcscct wrote:Not sure of the penalty but I think if they miss too many elections they're barred from voting for life? Pete :cheers:
In Thailand, voting is compulsory according to Article 72 of the Constitution

This section says that every Thai person shall have the duty to exercise their right to vote. Those who fail to do so without notifying officials of a valid reason why they cannot vote shall lose his or her “right” as provided by the law.

The words “shall lose his or her right” leads some people to assume that if they do not vote in an election, they may lose the right to vote in future elections, however, this is not the case.......
I heard a new slant on this today. As discussed above, the fear isn't that they'll lose the right to vote, but if they don't vote their name will be marked as having voted and their ballot used to vote for whoever the officials scamming the process want to vote for. Chew on that one for a moment! :roll: :banghead: :cuss:
In the words of Victor Meldrew, "I simply don't believe it!" :D

There is an Election Committee to oversee the fiasco and ensure that there is fair play. But of course in their case the EC probably stands for - Equally Corrupt :rasta:

As Nereus says, TIT and as the title of the very last One Foot In The Grave was entitled "Things_Aren't Simple Any More. (If ever they were!) and yes I can believe it! :cheers:
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain