New Foothpaths

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
coloradokid
Amateur
Amateur

New Foothpaths

Post by coloradokid »

I've noticed that the footpaths are being replaced on some of the main streets. I'm noticing a line of pavers running down the full length of the sidewalk, but sort of … off center. The pavers are yellow and have speed bumps all over them. What is this all about?
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

They're trying to slow down the pedestrians for target practising.
Or to give the drivers some sort of wake-up signal maybe?
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
steve skyrider

Post by steve skyrider »

from your description, I saw similar in Japan, they are for the blind, although that doesnt explain why they are yellow, Hmmm !
Chas
Banned
Banned

blind in HH?

Post by Chas »

I can't imagine a blind person trying to walk anywhere in Hua Hin. The sidewalks are filled with walking hazards which challenge those of us with sight. And then there are those numerous places where you have to walk around moving cars and motorcycles. And several places where a large road sign is across the sidewalk at just about head level. Come to think of it, I have not seen many blind people here at all tourist or local ( except for the roving "singers" who always have a sighted attendant.

But you have to give them credit for trying if that is what these strips indicate. Havent seen them yet, but I did notice the empty space they left down the middle of the sidewalks. More needed is a sense of awareness for people in wheelchairs. .and I have seen touristsin wheelchairs. Dont know how they manage at all.

Japan does have a sense of what a pedestrian needs and the places I visited were wonderful for blind and people in wheelchairs.. .and everyone else.

ButI remember my amazement when I first moved to Cha am that the sidewalks were for stalls selling trinkets and not for walking at all. We lived on the road along the beach there. . .the sidewalk was totally occupied by stalls and carts forcing pedestrians to share the road with cars and motorcycles. It was a kinda raised selling platform. . .probably an income maker for the town, but as with the motorcycles racing up and down the night market street, I wonder how many tourists they lose in a week.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Re: blind in HH?

Post by Guess »

Chas wrote:..... Come to think of it, I have not seen many blind people here at all tourist......
Many of the tourists her that I see are blind drunk on a nightly basis.
Chas wrote:..... I wonder how many tourists they lose in a week.
They don't need to lose the tourists they are perfectly capable of doing that themselves.