Ending relationships with Thai women

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
KhunJohn
Rookie
Rookie

Ending relationships with Thai women

Post by KhunJohn »

After 12 years of life and bliss it has come to a parting of the ways for me and my now ex-wife whose Thai. In that time we created 2 very cute(If I may say) Girls and some memories. But sadly as time progressed she wanted younger and richer(Neither me) So I am now slightly single (two daughters)and wonder if when I return will this effect my opinion on say a new lady friend as the old lady friend(My ex) did burn a mighty big bridge culture wise or should I not compare the old with the new. Have any of you gone through this? Not looking right now just wondering.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Re: Thai Women

Post by Lung Per »

What is the age difference between you and your now ex?
A friend is only one click away
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

First thing, you need a considerable period of time as a SINGLE man. A year or two at the least. Being a good, part time dad requires all your concentration.
KhunJohn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KhunJohn »

Lung Per wrote:What is the age difference between you and your now ex?
Old---50(me)
Young or so she says--36(Her)Is that young?
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

Don't think that is a big age difference, as things go.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Korkenzieher wrote:Don't think that is a big age difference, as things go.
Not in this culture. I've been married to my (Thai) wife for 18 years and she is 21 years younger than me. We got married when I was in my mid 40's and she in her mid 20's. Some people in the U.S. didn't approve but nobody here raised an eyebrow.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

hhfarang wrote:Not in this culture.
Disagree. It IS a big age difference in Thai culture. On average Thai husband and wife's age difference is only a few years, just as in our countries is common. 50-year old Thai males do not have 25-year old Thai wives. The age difference however is more or less acceptable or excusable if it is a western male with a Thai female.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

Roel wrote: 50-year old Thai males do not have 25-year old Thai wives.
50 - year old Thai males do have 25 year old Thai 'mia nois' though - that's very excusable IMO. :D
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Age has nowt to do with it

Young farang with fat wallet and Thai lady......ok
Young farang with thin wallet and Thai lady.....not ok
Old farang with fat wallet and Thai lady..........ok
Old farang with thin wallet and Thai lady.........not ok

Simple really and basic Thai lady logic
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

Well, after 12 years - ages 38 and 24! - the relative age difference should be less of a factor than it was. It certainly didn't prevent the OP and Mrs OP getting Jiggy, and producing 2 daughters. I would have to instinctively conclude this is more about her adjusting to her age - rather than yours - and perhaps she is beginning to feel she is losing her youth.

It is hard to believe that all the cards are on the table here. That makes it hard to comment without speculating - perhaps wildly (however... :D ) : maybe she is feeling culturally isolated; maybe she fears losing her looks, or fertility, maybe she suspects you are not playing fair by her. It could be almost anything - but I struggle to accept that any mother of 2 would up stakes and split up her family without there being something more fundamental than wanting to spend time with a younger man. And it is hard to believe that you live in grinding poverty - so I can only guess at what her expectation is there! If it was as simple as that, she would have just had an affair. It all seems far too shallow and cynical - and clinical - to be as simple as that.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

Im in a similar boat,ex thai wife,12years difference,we have a young son 2yo,we both share custody,she lives next door to me so makes this easier.
I personally can't see myself dating a thai again,lots of cultural differences.
I was seeing a beautiful girl from bangkok just recently.,she has a great job managing a bank in paragon,but she just bores me with little common interests.
My friend said to me recently,why you want a fulltime gf,you live in thailand where you are "apparently" a sexy man,you can do what you want,you have already bred,you can hire a cleaner,and have friends for companionship,you don't need the head aches..........i tend to agree!!
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

richard wrote:Age has nowt to do with it

Young farang with fat wallet and Thai lady......ok
Young farang with thin wallet and Thai lady.....not ok
Old farang with fat wallet and Thai lady..........ok
Old farang with thin wallet and Thai lady.........not ok

Simple really and basic Thai lady logic
Yes this is logic for most ladies that hang out in beer bars selling there goods. Richard if you were to hangout other places than binta and soi 80 you might meet people that aren't after your money. There are a lot of good Thais, men and woman out there that are not just looking for money.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

Hmm. And just what does that have to do with the OP's post?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:agree: From what I've witnessed , if you, richard had arrived in Thailand a little younger (unfortunately I was too old as well), your wallet would have little bearing on the situation.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

Big Boy wrote::agree: From what I've witnessed , if you, richard had arrived in Thailand a little younger (unfortunately I was too old as well), your wallet would have little bearing on the situation.
Would you mind translating that statement - preferably in as few words as possible. :?