Thai politics putting my life on hold

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Re: Thai politics putting my life on hold

Post by Siani »

sand_dancer wrote:HHCanuck

There is only 1 guarantee in life......

And that is that we will all die.....

What is not guaranteed..... Is when or how we will die......

So enjoy life...... Do what you want to do..... And do not worry about things that you cannot control or influence.......

:cheers:

Yes your theory is true, in a sense anyway, but alas, not all of us can live like that. Some of us worry, some do not. Some of us like security. There are problems in all countries. The only problem I have with Thailand is should the bubble burst, you may have to leave in a hurry. Laws may change for foreigners which makes life hard if you own property. I think it is best to rent there, at the moment in time. Invest your money in something else. The "foreigner" has no say at all in Thai politics etc. On the other hand.....hopefully it will not happen. One thing is sure that we will all die eventually, I suppose it depends on just who that is, when it comes to countries and what will happen after they die.
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

Gregjam wrote:As has already been said, enjoy yourself rather than worry all the time. Since I first came her to live 23 years ago for various reasons I have never put all my assets here and never will do. Should it be necessary I can up sticks and go back to the UK and I am prepared as a last resort, albeit very unwillingly, to sacrifice everything my wife ( mainly) and I have here.

Meanwhile I am lucky in that I work abroad and and enjoy my leave periods spent here. After the first ten years I did go through a phase where it got too much for me and moved out for a few years. This only showed me how much I missed the place. I am now back, a calmer person and enjoying a relaxed lifestyle again. Like many others I get frustrated with many aspects of life here but realize it is out of my hands and just settle in the knowledge that I have a choice which many others don't.

Throughout all of the military coups sine I first came and general political upheaval Hua Hin has not really had any disruption so If you are allowing the politics to disrupt your lifestyle then perhaps you need to make some changes.
Thats a good point Gregjam, Hua Hin is so heavily reliant on tourism trouble by the locals would scare away their meal tickets.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Don't worry too much about the political drama.......just the usual amateur dramatics from the colour coded political parties that wouldn't be able to agree over a picnic party for 10-year-olds.

They love all this sort of confrontation as it resembles a soap opera....which they have all been watching too many of.

However, at the end of the day, those manipulating it won't let it go too far south again and I don't think the military wants to 'wade in' again.....so I think, as others have mentioned, is that it will boil for a bit and then cool a bit etc.......but I doubt very much that it will explode.

I think lessons have been learned on both sides about this and it wouldn't surprise me if there was a secret agreement between both sides to not let it go as far as another coup as long as a certain institution isn't threatened and all play ball with it..........not to mention a general non interference policy with the army forces regarding it's funding and operations.

Thailand has much to lose from another coup or disorder/political conflict on a large level. I think that those that are instigating this all worry and think that if a certain someone gets to come back, he will reclaim his throne in politics easily and rise over Thailand like an avenging dark phantom.

This all still has much to play out, but I wouldn't be overly worried about it as I don't think it will all be allowed to go as far south as before.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol