Thailand rated number 1 for expats

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Thailand rated number 1 for expats

Post by hhfarang »

My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Thailand rated number 1 for expats

Post by Bristolian »

The survey is quite extensive, covering 37 countries.

http://www.expatexplorer.hsbc.com/#/countries

Experience

Thailand: Rank
Overall 1
Healthy diet 1
Healthcare 15
Commuting 10
Travelling more 8
Quality of accommodation 7
Entertainment 7
Work / life balance 2
Sports 17
Working environment 1
Social life 1
Local shops and markets 1
Feeling welcome at work 27
Integrating into the community 6
Making local friends 8
Using the local language 9
Local culture 1
Enjoying local food 2
Local transport 3
Fitting in the new culture 3
Setting up utilities 28
Local work culture 29
Making friends 2
Local weather 3
Getting used to local food 3
Learning the local language 33
Finding accommodation 2
Organising healthcare 3
Organising finances 12
Organising school for my children 16
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
raytashi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raytashi »

I don't mean to sound rude, but the link you provided doesn't rank Thailand in the top 24 so I'm not sure how you ended up with #1 although I would choose it over China purely on the polite culture. I can't comment on most of the survey as I only visited for a short time but the culture and food are great. Transportation is decent but I don't think there are any trains or metros like Japan and compared to other places I think the road travel is more dangerous. Don't ride a scooter or motorcycle in the city unless you are 90% ninja or you are taking a huge risk.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

raytashi wrote:I don't mean to sound rude, but the link you provided doesn't rank Thailand in the top 24 so I'm not sure how you ended up with #1 .
If you click on the link and then look under the tab, in their survey titled, "Experience" you will find where the article derives it's No 1 position for Thailand
:cheers:
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Quote from the website:

Thailand ranks 1st out of 37 countries thanks to a combination of relatively high earning expats residing in the country, coupled with lower spend required for everyday essentials. Expats report having to spend less than average on a number of important day-to-day expenses including housing, transportation and utilities (see table). Notably, a higher proportion of expats in the country (68%) report spending less on personal tax rates following their move compared with the global average (31%).

There's your No.1