Pets in Restaurants

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Pets in Restaurants

Post by Gregjam »

To avoid getting onto my soapbox and ranting on about something that is quite normal here I ask if anyone knows what the situation is here in regard to customers bringing their pets into restaurants.

What inspires this comment is seeing a small pet 'overgrown handbag decoration' dog being carried into the Yayoi restaurant in Market Village by a customer. Not even sure if they are allowed to bring them into the shopping centre but probably like many others I would prefer not to go to a large chain type restaurant which allows this to happen. Different for the cheaper open air restaurants (which I prefer as the food is usually much tastier for a fraction of the price but offers little in the way of 'pu dee' points) where all sorts of animals will roam around.

I have sent a query to the restaurant contact address so will see what happens but am interested to see if I am not alone in feeling this way. Worth saying that I have no objection to the presence of guide dogs for the blind or other highly trained working dogs, just pets which would be better left at home rather than being used as a living decoration.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Pets in Restaurants

Post by JW »

Fighting a losing battle there gregjam, these pets/jewellery are part of the deal....... so long as it stays in the bag I wouldnt be bothered.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Did the dog in question sniff around the table or sit on its owners lap? I would have more of problem with unruly children running around the tables.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

I'm not a fan of dogs anywhere, never mind in a restaurant, but I imagine that these pocket pooches carry less harmful bacteria than the cloths that are used to wipe the table and/or dry the dishes.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I have lunch and the occasional dinner here with a friend who has one of the biggest dogs I've ever seen and he always takes him everywhere. So far, to my surprise, no restaurant (we've been to 30 or 40 over the years) have turned his dog away yet.

The dog is well trained and he tells him to lie down beside the table and the dog stays still, but it's a huge dog and can cause traffic problems so we always try to sit at a wall table.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

What inspires this comment is seeing a small pet 'overgrown handbag decoration' dog being carried into the Yayoi restaurant in Market Village by a customer.
I suppose in SE Asia people with smaller dogs are less fearful that they might turn up on the menu than those of us who own more substantial breeds.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

A dog does not belong in a restaurant, except on the menu.

:guns:
A friend is only one click away
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Can't say it would bother me, but just for the record, dogs are not allowed inside Market Village. Then again, if it's a small rat-type dog in a bag, security probably don't mind.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Here in California there are quite a few restaurants that accept dogs. The large, well mannered breeds I have no problems, the little ones that people tie up in purses I think is just mean to the dogs, so hate to see that in restaurants or anywhere.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
zevon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by zevon »

Gregjam wrote:

I have sent a query to the restaurant contact address so will see what happens .
My guess is not a lot

I often think there is a law in Thailand which fines companies should they dare to reply to any e-mail received
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

zevon wrote:
Gregjam wrote:
I have sent a query to the restaurant contact address so will see what happens .
My guess is not a lot
I often think there is a law in Thailand which fines companies should they dare to reply to any e-mail received
:lach: :agree: