Police Set Ups Still Alive and Kicking

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: Police Set Ups Still Alive and Kicking

Post by Pleng »

GLCQuantum wrote: Can't disagree with anything you've said there apart from the 'bragging' part.
Well... what exactly was the purpose of the original post?
Prostitution is still against the law though so the people (who barfine girls) who say they never break the law are lying... regardless of if they are punished properly or not.
Nobody on this thread has ever said they never break the law.

Anyway, you really need to learn to distinguish between what people morally believe is acceptable (and not acceptable), and the reality of what does and doesn't put you at risk in your intimidate surroundings. They're two very different things which you just don't seem to be able to grasp.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

The purpose of the thread Pleng was to warn others (newcomers, younger tourists etc) not to get themselves into a situation where they may get taken advantage of. To warn others that, even just trying to get yourself a little bit of weed, could end up having dire consequences.

:cheers:
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

GLCQuantum wrote:The purpose of the thread Pleng was to warn others (newcomers, younger tourists etc) not to get themselves into a situation where they may get taken advantage of. To warn others that, even just trying to get yourself a little bit of weed, could end up having dire consequences.

I think most weed users would already know...... That trying to acquire illegal drugs....

Could lead to dire consequences in most places in the world.....
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Sure, but having first hand accounts to read can drill the message home a little more.

If it was a tourist that it had happened to he would have been stuffed. Also, if you use recreational drugs back in your home country, make sure you leave enough time for it to be out of your system before you come to Thailand (don't know how much time that would be). If my urine had tested positive for substances I would still have been in trouble. Police can do on the spot urine tests as and when they please. So if you did a little bit of 'whatever' a day before your flight, you can still get done for it here quite easily. I'm not sure what the punishments are for testing positive for hard substances.

sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

GLC

As someone who has been Compulsory Drug tested for over 20 years due to work....

It is not something that I worry about.....

" Sure, but having first hand accounts to read can drill the message home a little more. "

I'm also sure that most drug users know the risks and " drilling the message home "..... Will make no difference to them....

Drugs are for mugs....
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Sandancer,

It's a forum. A place to post stuff about Thailand, however pointless you think it might be. From what I see this thread has been very active today and generated responses.

"Drugs are for mugs"... as are cigarettes and alcohol. I'm assuming you do neither of those also.

sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

GLCQuantum wrote:Sandancer,

It's a forum. A place to post stuff about Thailand, however pointless you think it might be. From what I see this thread has been very active today and generated responses.

"Drugs are for mugs"... as are cigarettes and alcohol. I'm assuming you do neither of those also.

Dress it up whichever way you want.....

By your own admission you were engaged in activities involving illegal substances.....

I'm sure that's a great thing to be boasting about on a forum.....

Like i said..... I'm pretty positive that drug users..... Whether resident or tourist..... Knows the risks
they run....

What I do..... Or do not do is of no concern of yours.....
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

GLCQuantum wrote:The purpose of the thread Pleng was to warn others (newcomers, younger tourists etc) not to get themselves into a situation where they may get taken advantage of. To warn others that, even just trying to get yourself a little bit of weed, could end up having dire consequences.

In which case I think it's very noble that you're willing to go out of your way risk your employment and abuse the trust of your employer (not to mention risking the reputation of where you work), by talking about your goings on and your bosses approval on a public forum, in order to warn these people.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

There are certainly a "pot load" of holier-than-thou posters out today!
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

A test for drugs is now included when you apply (re-apply) for a work permit. Be careful young man, your school may be tolerant of your habits, but the Department of Employment are a different matter.

GLCQ: I think I understand the reasons for your initial post, but, if I had been in your situation, I would've posted in the third person - "Someone I know got busted.....".

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Thanks VS and centermid...

I wasn't expecting such a backlash from posters when I'm posting about me being the victim of a crime (should have expected it really). As for the 'should have posted it in the third person'... well, that's just not my style. I have nothing to hide and nothing to be ashamed of.
A test for drugs is now included when you apply (re-apply) for a work permit. Be careful young man, your school may be tolerant of your habits, but the Department of Employment are a different matter
That test VS, is for hard drugs only. Weed doesn't show up. I have to do the same test every year with the teacher check up when the hospital's staff come to the school. It was the same test the police gave me last Friday. I came out clean as I should.

Thanks guys

Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

Mention The Devil Weed and the villagers will instantly appear with their torches and pitchforks.
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

1) You're breaking the law - no big deal, we've all broken the speed limit once in a while.
2) You're a stoner teaching kids - well that ain't right but I'm sure you're still twice as competent as your Thai counterparts.
3) You're actively condoning the use of illegal substances with your pupils - Now that's just completely immoral!

I'm with the pitchfork brigrade.....
8)
GN.
Attachments
Stoned teacher.jpg
Stoned teacher.jpg (43.17 KiB) Viewed 914 times
cheapercharlie
Warning
Warning

Post by cheapercharlie »

Thank you for your honest post. Maybe it will help the next guy - who has put his guard down and thinks that "anything goes" here in Thailand. It was obvious to many, that that was the intent of your initial post.

Ignore the angry trolls who confronted you. They can't help themselves. They obviously suffer from a combination of damaged nature and dysfunctional nurture. Long term alcohol abuse exacerbates the problem. They live in a very small bubble, and reinforce each others bad behavior. It discourages others from posting... and reading, the HHF.

You are medicating yourself.... as are the bar-flys ... so maybe a doctor's visit would help: I think you realize how close you came to ruining your future employment chances. I taught English in Ecuador, and the prisons are full of young travelers serving long sentences for marijuana possession.

I am an anti-drug guy ( including nicotine and alcohol abuse). Look for an alternative: Diet, exercise... intellectual pursuits.

"Good Luck" ... because sometimes it runs out ! Maybe I will wish you "Good Decisions", instead.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I actually thought that your post, GLC, was very good. A good warning for those who are too innocent or for the newcomers. I remember eons ago in Chiang Mai, there was a similar trap but luckily, I didn't do any weed or any other similar thing, just walked away from it. They were trying to sell me white powder trying to get me into a similar situation as you have just been. There are those who are naive enough to fall into it and so it must actually be quite common. So, thanks for the warning.