7 Reasons to Retire in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: 7 Reasons to Retire in Thailand

Post by VincentD »

Not retired yet, but have just passed the 25 year mark for being here permanently. Don't see myself leaving.

Apart from the content in Bristolian's post above, all of which I am in wholehearted agreement with, you can still be politically incorrect here and not really worry about retribution. Or walk into a hospital or clinic and expect almost immediate medical attention without any appointment. Almost free (I pay social security, but visits to the hospital don't cost a single baht, plus it's a private hospital under the scheme). Or 30 baht if you're willing to wait at least half the day at a government hospital. Also have additional insurance (BUPA) as and when needed.

A good grounding in Thai language obviously helps; I read, write and speak so the signs are not Greek to me.

Errr... Takiap, I think you got No. 5 wrong. Think it should be ' You get women your own age telling you their daughters fancy you...' :laugh:
วินเชนท์
flexthai
Novice
Novice

Post by flexthai »

Hi,

Reading it all, and also planning to be in Thailand next year, I can add to the discussion by suggesting to be "open & flexible" to a nice retirement location. May be Hua Hin will be great for 1-2 years, may be 3-5 years, may be longer, but once you have seen it, go to the next great location, it is not a decision for life. My wife and I have worked and lived around the world for 14 years now, and we are planning to continue this "nomad" existence even if we are getting early-retired (only 50 age next year). I can read that some got fed up after 14 years, well, that it is time to move on, but that still means, that for newbies Hua Hin can be a great start in Thailand.

We have a wish-list of places where we would like to live so far as we stay healthy and can afford it, and Thailand is on it.

By the way, I love all the stories on this forum, nice to read :-)
Bob
clinton114

Post by clinton114 »

Only been here myself a handful of weeks, and so far I can say that I'm enjoying it. My inability to speak/read the language will be a handicap for me; I can see that if I can't communicate without assistance, then the fun will wear out sooner (rather than later) and I might want to relocate to someplace where I'm more comfortable due to familiarity. I'm trying to pick up words and phrases here, but I'm a bit of a dullard when it comes to learning new languages. Time will tell for me.