Finding a Good 'Farang'

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Finding a Good 'Farang'

Post by VincentD »

margaretcarnes wrote: We never seem to hear anyone advising the opposite - that for farang seeking Thai the priority is to learn Thai!
....I'm sure that in that particular case there were other motives to learn the language, and also sure there will be other farang who have made the effort.
In my case, the other motives came first.
Many of my co-workers (in another life) were Thai. We all worked in aviation and many of them had brought their families over, so it made sense at the time to pick up more than just the few phrases as I did spend a fair amount of time socializing with them. I found a Thai tutor locally and got up to about the primary three standard of reading and writing using the standard Thai text of the time. The tutor also included conversational Thai as part of the course.
This got me to where I could come to Thailand, speak a few words, and try to catch a bus. This usually took about three buses to pass by before I was able to read to the destination I wanted to go was. :mrgreen:

I met my future wife through socializing and visiting friends over here in Thailand.

A whole new world of friends will open up if you do speak Thai, as many good Thai girls find themselves in the same boat, i.e. difficulty in learning English. :naughty:
วินเชนท์
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

HUMOR ONLY ALERT

You are a bugger MrP you have caused much pain in my sides i could not stop larfing
both ladies know little about foreigners, beyond me. This is a problem because I am, of course, perfect. :naughty:
Perfect i dont think so UNIQUE is probably a better word (yes i noted the smiley but think :roll: or :shock: would have been more apt)

However if you are the template she is using on her search i think she will be a thousand years older than methuzalah before she finds one

Well at least i hope so :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

:lach: :lach: :lach: :lach: :lach: :lach: :dance: :dance: :dance:
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
buksida

Post by buksida »

:offtopic: Before this turns into another pissing match. :roll:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Korkenzieher wrote:Gosh. Something is desperately wrong here - I find myself agreeing with Kendo entirely. That must be a first for me :D 8) :mrgreen: :cheers: :duck: !

Step back - don't try to rush into the next relationship. Rebounds are *always* bad!
skill-up - if she wants a foreign man, English is no. 1, but she could consider other languages too
build a life - create some space for herself so she knows who she is and what she wants (really wants)
take it social - clubs, gyms, maybe discos, societies and the rest

If she wants a relationship, then that will get her there eventually I am sure. If she wants some fun along the way, well who doesn't! As long as it doesn't become the main focus, where's the harm in it?
Korky thats fine nothing wrong with agreeing with me its just common sense really :laugh: :laugh: most male single tourist look upon Thai girls as fair game and i think for some will use the language barrier as an excuse not to take it to seriously or look upon her as a bit stupid etc or just a bit of fun.
Now i really do believe if a Thai girl wants to meet a farang for a lasting relationship than a basic command on English is a major advantage to her.

I also believe that their are many men that would take the plunge into a relationship if less of a language barrier.

I once met this elderly gentlemen on a plane and he told me, that he was widowed and lived in a lovely little village just outside Newbury loved dinner parties walking his three dogs in the local woodland etc but was very lonely. His friends around the dinner table suggested looking for a Thai wife and to have a look at this advertisement in the Exchange And Mart.
So this old gent answered the advertisement to an agency flew to Bangkok got met at the airport by this English rep taken to a hotel to sign some papers then taken to another hotel to meet a room full of prospective Thai wife's he was quite taken with one so spent a couple of days with her but the language was a real issue.So this rep told him to try another girl that spoke a little English, so he did have a few days trial with the second one but it was not what he had wanted.
He got back in contact with the rep and told him that he really wants to see the first girl again and pay for English lessons and that would be the one he really wanted to choose, the rep told him that's not possible so to settle for girl number two.
The old gent did agree to this but was all a bit overwhelmed by this, i hope it all worked out for him and he found some sort of comfort and happiness.

By my own experience i met my wife who was a fluent English speaker and that's why i started a relationship with her it was easy to understand each other and she could laugh and joke with the best of us. :thumb:

I met Sarge last year with his lovely lady that speaks good English and i must say what a result he had, she is definitely a keeper, one very lucky man. :thumb:

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Yes Kendo she is an awesome wife/boss and can cook like a diamond

I am also in the same position as Mr P with regard to my wifes sister and i know how difficult it is trying to explain i do not have a spare falang in my back pocket.

I give my new wife all of my income and she saves 50k of my 80k a month i dont think her sister will find a man with the same outlook on life/finances as me. She has been warned not to expect the same.

Oh and for the OP i am 65 my wife is 32 and i am in the second of two fantastically happy years
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

When i first started going up to our village in Prasat village that have never really had any western interaction kept asking my wife "farang has he got good friend for me".

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Macphail
Novice
Novice

Post by Macphail »

Ginjaninja

"Good luck to the Quine" ? You're obviously a NE Loon!
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

My wifes friends sometimes ask me "can you find me a good farang" but in all honesty I cant recommend any of the farangs I've met up with.....I'm the only decent one I know ! :rasta:
But,seriously,I agree with those who say she should improve her english speaking skills......maybe also get a job where she could get to meet farangs in her everyday work,such as Tesco's or a waitress at Pizza Co.
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
rynka
Amateur
Amateur

Post by rynka »

Hmm... I'm new to this site, and I don't speak Thai.. I'm from Indonesia and English is my 1st language... Anyway, I was just wondering, since Hua Hin is a place for 'retirement', where can I make new friends with farangs in their 30s?
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23872&hilit=+midage

Rynka, the average falang age is 102, you're out of luck I'm afraid......
:duck:
GN.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Ginjaninja wrote:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23872&hilit=+midage

Rynka, the average falang age is 102, you're out of luck I'm afraid......
:duck:
GN.
But they are a young acting 102 :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Young thinking, maybe...
This is the way
PGS

Post by PGS »

Hmm... I'm new to this site, and I don't speak Thai.. I'm from Indonesia and English is my 1st language... Anyway, I was just wondering, since Hua Hin is a place for 'retirement', where can I make new friends with farangs in their 30s?

Depends on what exactly you mean by "in their 30's". I myself, am in my late 30's, 49 years old to be precise :D
sneg55
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sneg55 »

rynka wrote:Hmm... I'm new to this site, and I don't speak Thai.. I'm from Indonesia and English is my 1st language... Anyway, I was just wondering, since Hua Hin is a place for 'retirement', where can I make new friends with farangs in their 30s?
I think not much farang's in their 30s available here.
Bytheway you are not first who looking for midage people: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23872
raytashi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raytashi »

I went to a friends wedding in Hau Hin and like anyone else I hoped to meet someone either Thai, Brit, Aussie, or American etc. Weddings are generally good for meeting single women. Even if I didn't work, and I work a lot, I couldn't learn Thai in two months I don't think. I know some basic works and phrases. It is difficult and very different than French, German, Italian, Latin based language. Thailand is full of very nice girls, some you would want to have a relationship and some you wouldn't just like anywhere else. If I can't communicate enough to know what their intentions are I'm probably not going to try to make something of it. If neither party can say what they want I think that will lead to an unhappy relationship so one or the other needs to know enough in one language to say what they want. I'm not saying you have to learn English to meet someone but communication between two people aside from physical intimacy is important so find someone who speaks Thai or learn enough to express what you want out of the relationship.