Have you decided to leave Thailand and/or Hua Hin?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.

Have you decided to leave Thailand and/or Hua Hin?

Leave Thailand completely
53%
Leave Hua Hin for another location within Thailand
47%

Total votes: 19

StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Have you decided to leave Thailand and/or Hua Hin?

Post by StevePIraq »

Dr Mike wrote:What has this got to do with leaving HH or Thai. Are people really leaving HH because their ability to swear in Thai is inadequate
well said :offtopic: and stay on topic
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
flexthai
Novice
Novice

Post by flexthai »

Great to read all these stories and what motivates people, a lot of soul-searching as well. Although I am not living yet (with my wife) in Thailand (next year is the plan), I have lived and worked around the world, and it is such a privilege, it opens your eyes to many cultures and different kind of people and life-styles. Via another social network, I met people that live in Hua Hin that are really happy, they are involved in charity, play some golf, explore the region, try to learn the language, do some cooking lessons, have many international friends, just enjoy the life under the sun, etc... It is what you make out of it, but that is not for everyone. I have seen people struggling to build up a new life elsewhere because they are too attached to their roots. Starting in Hua Hin, or similar around the world, requires an attitude of being open, flexible, positive, social, willingness to integrate and exploring. And if you found out that Hua Hin has changed too much, then there are plenty of other places to re-start and enjoy the richness of other people around you. Somebody said that this means "seeking happiness outside yourself if you keep on moving", but with the right partner next to you, it is more like an adventure and happiness is anyway something inside yourself, where ever you go, you always find yourself, and if you are happy with that, you will be happy everywhere.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

ex-pats leavingthai

Post by oakdale160 »

Ex-pats come and ex-pats go, there is a turnover. I'm talking of residents not winter snow birds. I seem to hear of more personaly and on he forum in the last month or so. I have talked to a couple and its not one reason but an accumulation of reasons, but not feeling wanted by authorities and locals seems to be present in all that I have spoken to. Is there an increase in departures?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Is there an increase in departures?
There has been among people I know. I know several American, Canadian, British, Scandinavian people/families that have left in the last year or are making plans to leave. Many were here for a long time. They each have their own reasons though, for many it's not wanting to educate their kids here, for some it's the corruption and difficulty with property ownership and transfer, others have just gotten tired of paradise and want to live in the real world again.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

I still like coming to Thailand for visits, and my wife has a townhouse in BKK. I would likely move to Cha Am just to be closer to BKK and the family feels more at home in Cha Am. I have always liked the pace of life in HH as well as all the military and Royal presence at HH. The conditions of the streets in
HH are still to be desired, still way to many rough spots. Compared to my experience of Honduras and
Guatamala and Belize I like visiting Thailand much better. The only beach area I like better than HH is
the Kata beach in Phuket.
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

others have just gotten tired of paradise and want to live in the real world again.
Odd perspectives on what is 'paradise', some people. Given your earlier pronouncements, HHF, I can only assume that comment is heavily laced with sarcasm!

It is a place to live - simple as that. It has positives and negatives, as has every other place I have lived. If things change, or perspectives change, what is the problem of upping stakes and moving? I suspect that anyone coming here with the notion that Thailand is paradise, are likely to be sorely disappointed - and not only on that item! However, if you came here with a rational perspective, and something has changed, or been re-evaluated, then it seems to me quite natural that you might want to move.

I can certainly imagine any objective analysis seeing Thailand as less than ideal for, for instance, educating the offspring, work / career / long term care issues - all of which, I am sure, have already been mentioned (not going to read all 90 posts - sorry...). Several friends of mine have relocated recently - not all to or from Thailand. One family in particular, who lived in Germany for 25 years while their 3 daughters grew up, and then in Switzerland for a handful of years, relocated back to the UK just to be near their first grandchild.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
blanes2007
Amateur
Amateur

Post by blanes2007 »

I know some long stayers who are already going to leave Hua Hin and move to somewhere else in Thailand. Hua hin has been becoming too noisy, crowded and expensive...
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Tonight I met a couple who came to hh a year ago from jomtien and are moving back there. They prefer pattaya/jomtien because of the diversity of expat life there. Many more clubs and organisations. A thriving amateur dramatic society, bridge clubs, book clubs, cookings clubs etc etc.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

blanes2007 wrote:I know some long stayers who are already going to leave Hua Hin and move to somewhere else in Thailand. Hua hin has been becoming too noisy, crowded and expensive...
They can chase the rainbow but everywhere suffers the same, same same no different :D that's progress. Everyone has their dream of paradise and if HH is not it, continue the search:cheers:
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

oakdale160 wrote:A thriving amateur dramatic society, bridge clubs, book clubs, cookings clubs etc etc.
It makes you wonder why these folk left Bognor Regis in the first place if it was the Costa Geriatrica they craved all this time.
:roll:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

J.J.B. wrote:
oakdale160 wrote:A thriving amateur dramatic society, bridge clubs, book clubs, cookings clubs etc etc.
It makes you wonder why these folk left Bognor Regis in the first place if it was the Costa Geriatrica they craved all this time.
:roll:

You're, clearly, a well rounded individual.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

One question which comes to mind is whether the dissatisfaction comes from retirement rather than moving to /living in Hua Hin/Thailand?

A lot of people - myself included in due time, move to Thailand/Hua Hin in conjunction with quitting work. If a person is fit and agile at the time of retirement then boredom may set in where ever one resides, even living in the same location and accomodation as whilst working.

I think I will be bored if I replace work with - well, nothing.

My wife is Thai and I am convinced that making a serious effort to learn thai language will be paramount to my wellbeing, as otherwise I am intelectually and practically excluded from all kinds of communication going on arround me, peoples conversations, News on TV, etc, etc.

I think it has been interesting to read postings from those who have relocated away from HH to elsewhere in Thailand, and those who relocate back to their country of origin.
I can kind of understand - where choice is an option. The latter does not have to mean the time spent in HH was a waste - people evolve and may eventually find what was originally exotic become mundane.

Real old age may also be an issue if nursing and care is required and not available in HH for financial reasons or lack of family to care

As said, if retirement is the issue you might move one from where ever you initially locate.

I know I will have to plan my life in Thailand some what - after 4 weeks holiday doing nothing else than travel a bit arround, go eating with family and watch television in the appt I get a bit bored, so I have to structure the life, same as I would need to do retiring in my home country.

I think one change I will miss is being deprived of 4 seasons, which in itself creates some diversity.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

You have made a lot of good points here. We are moving over in November and are looking forward to the challenge. New countries and cultures to explore. We are fortunate to live in an age where we can keep in touch with the " old country" if we desire. The internet and satellite tv can keep us up to date with news, investments etc Finally your post has convinced me to have a crack at the Thai language,I have reservations though as a Scot I'm not sure I've mastered English yet!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Frank La Rue wrote: My wife is Thai and I am convinced that making a serious effort to learn thai language will be paramount to my wellbeing, as otherwise I am intelectually and practically excluded from all kinds of communication going on arround me, peoples conversations, News on TV, etc, etc.
:agree:

Not only will it help keep you busy, it will have the results you mentioned :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

migrant wrote:
Frank La Rue wrote:

My wife is Thai and I am convinced that making a serious effort to learn thai language will be paramount to my wellbeing, as otherwise I am intelectually and practically excluded from all kinds of communication going on arround me, peoples conversations, News on TV, etc, etc.
:agree:

Not only will it help keep you busy, it will have the results you mentioned :cheers:
I am fortunate to have been born with "an ear for languages", I have picked up english, german and french respectively whilst living in these countries and some chinese in Singapore, I say this matter- of - factly, not to boast as I have the gift from birth - I did nothing to earn.

I plan to take one - to - one thai language lessons - but a male teacher as I am still quite "agile" for a 60 year old and value the marriage and family life with my wonderful Lek from Tha Maka and our son.

That should take care of 3 mornings a week, hopefully I can find a gym to join and then I need to pick a hobby - maybe playing in a band or kayaking - There are some Farrangs in Kanchanaburi for instance, who travel around Thailand doing great Kayaking trips. I'll see if I can relocate the link to their youtube videos.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.