Brown and out? Black family in land of stares

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Re: Brown and out? Black family in land of stares

Post by MrPlum »

As a 'Gweilo' on the Hong Kong MTR many years ago, I got to experience what it was like to be the only white face towering above the hordes of Chinese. Blacks, though, are still subject to some uncalled for stereotyping. Hollywood actors are, even today, asked to do the bulging-eye thing. Transformers is accused of following suit..

http://www.authentichistory.com/diversi ... index.html

'In 2009, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen "transformed" the coon caricature into a pair of rap-jive-talkin', squabbling, illiterate (when asked to translate some ancient Cybertronian language they say, ‘we don’t do much readin’) gold-tooth sportin', eye bulging, big-eared idiot robots. The "twins," Mudflap and Skids, were immediately lambasted by several critics and film historians. Manohla Dargis of The New York Times said that "the characters [...] indicate that minstrelsy remains as much in fashion in Hollywood as when, well, Jar Jar Binks was set loose by George Lucas". Critic Scott Mendelson said "To say that these two are the most astonishingly racist caricatures that I've ever seen in a mainstream motion picture would be an understatement". One cultural commentator referred to them as "Little Black Sambots."
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Brown and out? Black family in land of stares

Post by Takiap »

Somchai Turdsak wrote:I can imagine this churlish specimen parading down a busy sidewalk daring someone to muster the audacity to look in her general direction. A victim of her own making.

Why is racism often implied when dark Thai people wish to be lighter, but never when white Europeans wish to be slightly darker? :roll:

I think you might be barking up the wrong tree. By and large, Thais want to be lighter only for the "light skin status" it gets them in Thailand. Most if not all white people who want a tan do so only because they like the look, and not because a darker skin puts them above a lighter skinned person.

As I've said before, anyone who says the Thais are not racist needs to have their heads read. Racism is alive and well in all countries. If it wasn't, there would be no need for laws to counter it. Black people themselves are very racist. Just as I've heard Thais speaking down about blacks, I've also heard the opposite, where blacks speak down about the Thais.

Take color out of the picture, and there will still be racism among different cultures, races and/or religions.

Get used to it, or crawl under a blanket. :thumb: :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact