Farangs behaving badly

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Farangs behaving badly

Post by bsdk1960 »

What about a thread with farrand's behavior in Thailand ?

Sitting in a small restaurant on koh phangang,with my GF when a family of 4 people entered the place.

The food was served to everyone and the power went off and the normal fuss with finding candell lights mobilephones ect.

It was actully a nice experience because the television was out of order.

No one complainted before the bill was to pay and the father of the other family ask if they could have a
reduction on the bill since there was no electricity.

Their bill was 380 baht for 3 thai food,1 big chang and 2 shakes for the kids,at that moment I felt sad to be a farrang.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Farangs behaving badly

Post by oakdale160 »

Nothing you can do except sqirm-- And in other threads posters ask - Why do the Thais dislike us?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I know what you mean. There have been a few instances where I have also felt ashamed of being a Farange. Hopefully though, the Thai owners of that restaurant will know by now that not all Farange are the same.

Where about on the island were you at the time? I think they must see a lot of strange folk visiting, although I have found that the northern side of the island tends to attract a different sort of tourist. Very peaceful and quiet around that area, unless it's also changed. I haven't been there for a few years now.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

the episode was actully on the north-east side on salad beach and the tha lady just act like nothing,but after the family left you could hear the conversation was a little more intense. :)

Now we are in Had Rin were the full moon party will launch on 27 this month i think but we heade=ing home today and Im for to old for that kind of party and I have been told that it's only techno pop so no thank's from me. :rasta: :rasta:

:cheers: :cheers:

p.s. I was here fist time 30 years ago so a lot of changes since then. :banghead: :banghead:

Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

A farang is just not a farang. What was the nationality of that family??
A friend is only one click away
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

bsdk1960 wrote:the episode was actully on the north-east side on salad beach and the tha lady just act like nothing,but after the family left you could hear the conversation was a little more intense. :)

Now we are in Had Rin were the full moon party will launch on 27 this month i think but we heade=ing home today and Im for to old for that kind of party and I have been told that it's only techno pop so no thank's from me. :rasta: :rasta:

p.s. I was here fist time 30 years ago so a lot of changes since then. :banghead: :banghead:

The full moon parties are great, and you know yourself that I'm no youngster anymore. The rubbish you read in newspapers and magazines is nothing but rubbish. It half of it was true, I'd probably be living there rather than in Hua-Hin. :cheers:

You're right about the music though, but then again, I quite like it. BTW, if you like fish and chips, you should find a couple of places that are really good. The best I've ever had in Thailand was at some place there called the London something or other. A few years, so memories are somewhat blurred. :thumb:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Lung Per wrote:A farang is just not a farang. What was the nationality of that family??

Either Swedish; English; Russian; German; Israeli; Norwegian; Scottish; Irish or Dutch, but definitely not South African. :neener: There's just not enough of us here to make a fool of ourselves. :laugh: :laugh:

:cheers:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Takiap wrote:
bsdk1960 wrote:the episode was actully on the north-east side on salad beach and the tha lady just act like nothing,but after the family left you could hear the conversation was a little more intense. :)

A few years, so memories are somewhat blurred. :thumb:
Sure it's the years blurring your memory? :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I was up at the Erewan Falls (topside of Kanchanaburi) a coupla months back.
It was the weekend, full of Russians (the writing on the tour buses was the big clue), & many French folk also.
Here, at the entrance, there are BIG signs asking visitors (by use of pictures) not to walk to & from the falls in just swimwear..mainly I suspect as a mark of respect for the Thais.
(Fair-play, I agree totally).
BUT..yes you've guessed it..everyone walking almost naked were speaking French (I could tell that) & Russian..
(I could guess that)..
..And once back at the car-park, while purchasing a very needy lemon ice-cream one of the Thai ladies serving in one of the many shops/stalls was actually arguing with a Russian man..yes she was taking no
s*** off this man, and in his language she was holding her ground (well done lady).

* Quick tip..Erewan Falls..nice place, but do try go during a weekday..Sat/Sun the place is full...bit like HH.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Lung Per wrote:A farang is just not a farang. What was the nationality of that family??
They were from Holland, but cheap charlies comes from everywhere. :twisted: :twisted:

Bomber
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bomber »

Absolute disgrace- unfortunately you get these types of people the world over. When away from your home country you should always remember that you are a guest of the country and as such should treat your hosts with respect.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

I always found it very difficult to explain the cultural niceties to friends and family who were visiting Thailand for the first time.
Fortunately they always understood the need to cover up when appropriate, and were patient about the occasional waits or misunderstandings over meals (apart form my Mother...)
The incident of the farang family who wanted a price reduction due to a power cut does, I fully agree, seem over the top. Especially given the price of the meals. But one thing we sometimes forget is that as expats we get used to the slower pace and 'mai pen rai'. We slow down to the same pace. We get used to the power cuts, just as we get used to the seasonal floods and storms. So we get stuck somewhere and have to wait? So what - mai pen rai.
But perhaps back home in our local restaurant there would automatically be a discount given if something went wrong. Or at least a drink on the house. Because the owner wants us back again.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Whats the big deal? If candles or lanterns are provided that is fine--I never assume electrical lights as I have worked in places where little or none were available, where is it written that the lights must be electrical?

AND, there is a BIG difference, between a host giving everybody a free drink and a customer asking for a discount.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

I witnessed something similar once and when the boors had left I went to the Thai lady and said "I am sorry, not every falang same like him." I got a huge sincere smile for my efforts, I guess it restored some face to her.
Happiness can't buy money
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

johnnyk wrote:I witnessed something similar once and when the boors had left I went to the Thai lady and said "I am sorry, not every falang same like him." I got a huge sincere smile for my efforts, I guess it restored some face to her.
Atta boy! :thanks: :clap:
A friend is only one click away