Observations (TIT)

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Observations (TIT)

Post by ste860 »

thais do other things like transfer money at atm machines , pay bills etc ,
its easier than going into a bank and filling paying in/transfer slips

there seems to be alot of thai bashing going on here ,no matter where some people are things will annoy them , thats life
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

They may have to push more buttons as I have seen notices on some machines that they are 'cardless' so presumably have to put in account numbers or something.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

ste860 wrote:thais do other things like transfer money at atm machines , pay bills etc ,
No excuse. They all have "smart phones", and considering how much time they spend on their phones, they should have online banking sorted out. :twisted: :laugh:
ste860 wrote:there seems to be alot of thai bashing going on here ,no matter where some people are things will annoy them , thats life
Nobody is bashing the Thais, but until they stop annoying us, we're going to continue moaning. :duck: :laugh: :laugh:

BTW..........my comments are not meant to be taken seriously. :thumb:

PS: Just in case you're not aware of it........a lot of Farang bashing goes on between Thai people as well. Human nature is a wonderful thing...........so complex. :wink:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

ste860 wrote:thais do other things like transfer money at atm machines , pay bills etc ,

there seems to be alot of thai bashing going on here ,no matter where some people are things will annoy them , thats life
Definitely, no Thai bashing intended by me - I'm simply trying to understand things in my new environment. I would rather ask why, and understand the reason than go around saying that Thais are stupid because they do this or do that. There is usually a logical answer to most questions.

Transfer of money, is obviously one thing that I have never used an ATM for, and offers a logical explanation for some of the exceptional waits - thank you. However, I'm still trying to find out why it takes 5 minutes to get 500 Baht out of an ATM.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

However, I'm still trying to find out why it takes 5 minutes to get 500 Baht out of an ATM.
They'll do it quicker if you let them use your card!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We had a power cut in the Bon Kai area for a couple of hours earier today. I was amazed to see shops with automatic doors putting up notices because the automatic door mechanism stopped working with no electricity. Surely there must be manual overrides.

Another observation was that despite the widespread power cut, all ATMs continued working normally.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

I've seen these people and I think is what they're doing is paying bills for people who haven't got bank accounts or money for a fee or something of that nature. I've been at the Bangkok Bank ATM on Petchakasem road before and have given up waiting for some guy doing countless transactions from a notebook of numbers he was holding.
A lot of them especially the ones with a lot of cards are money lenders of different sorts
It is quite common for people to give their cards as guarantee the lender will get their money back
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
TimandT
Professional
Professional

Post by TimandT »

Big Boy wrote:
Another observation was that despite the widespread power cut, all ATMs continued working normally.
I should imagine as there are frequent power cuts here that the ATM's have back up power supply battery packs
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I always pull over out of the way and let ambulances by. You never know when I may be inside one of them and I hope other people will get out of the way.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
traveller2
Professional
Professional

Post by traveller2 »

Same here HHF, but it always suprises me how many do not, even in the UK as well as Thailand.

T2
wysiwyg (what you see is what you get)
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote:We had a power cut in the Bon Kai area for a couple of hours earier today.
Here's an observation of the good and the bad of Thailand.

First the bad:

Some idiot was let loose with a chainsaw to trim some trees that were encroaching on the electricity cables a few houses down from us. He was obviously being careful not to cut through the cables, but not intelligent enough to consider that heavy branches falling onto the cables might cause some damage...
Result - fai dap! :cuss:

The good:

An electricity company truck with two fine fellows turned up less than 2 hours later (after 5 on a Saturday afternoon) and had it fixed in half an hour. :D :cheers:
This is the way