Life with the Maid

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Life with the Maid

Post by HHTel »

SunandFun.... What a hard life you have. My heart goes out to you. I feel your pain!!!!!

Personally, I'm a single Dad with two rebelious daughters (12 and 15). I live in a 5 bedroom place on over a rai of land. I cook, clean, wash, iron and do the gardening. That's not a brag but I made my bed so I have the responsibility to do what is necessary. That doesn't include crying for help because I can't cope!!
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Well done HHT for taking on the responsibility yourself, but, if I were in your shoes, I'd get the girls to help out a bit. When I was a teen I had to do my share of household chores.

I've been quite lucky with maids/helpers in the past. Ten years ago, when we first lived in Nakhon Pathom, I employed two students to pop in once a week to mop the floors and do a bit of dusting, etc. It worked out well, because they came when we were out, and were totally trustworthy (being our students). When we moved down to Petchaburi our landlady (grandma) loved to hang around our place when we weren't there. She loved the dogs and would busy herself doing some washing up and mopping. At first she wouldn't accept any money, but, after a bit of persuasion, she was happy to be paid 100 baht a day (weekdays only). She only got paid when she did the work, and it was a great relationship because we could trust her implicitly.

Now we're back in Nakhon Pathom and I'm working my socks off 5 days a week. I rarely get back home before 6pm and would dearly love someone to just get rid of some of the dust and do the odd bit of washing up. I put an advert up at work, offering 250 baht for 3 hours work. Not one student was interested. :( May be they considered it a bit demeaning to do a 'maid's' job? So I asked our landlord, and he said that his mum's maid could come round on Saturday or Sunday. These are my two days of rest! I really don't want a stranger wandering around the house when I'm having my weekend lie-in. 'Could she come on a week day?', I asked. The look of horror on his face when I suggested that his 'trusted' maid should be allowed to roam around our house when we weren't there. We have to be there when she's there.

So, I'm back to square one. A reasonably clean house, but not as clean as I'd like it. :|

VS.
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

johnnyk wrote:My buddy had a maid when he lived in BKK. He said she didn't watch TV but spent a fair bit of time in the bedroom. I guess it was quite untidy. :thumb:

Now that's the sort of maid I might consider. :laugh:

Joking aside, I'm more than happy to take care of things myself - cheaper, easier, and less stressful.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact