Overstaffing in Thai superstores

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Ropes

Overstaffing in Thai superstores

Post by Ropes »

A few days ago I ventured to Thai Watsadu the big industrial hardware warehouse on the road to Cha Am. On entering the store/warehouse I counted 18 assistants either talking or just standing around doing absolutely nothing and when I ventured further in the store there were other groups of staff not doing anything productive.
This is not unique because if you venture into Homepro you are likely to see a similar scenario where the staff greatly outnumber the customers.
What is the logic in being so obviously over staffed?
Is it that the wages are so low that maybe the government encourages companies to employ a certain quota?
Just to add I am not having a pop at anybody or anything Thailand I am trying to understand the logic.
Big Boy

Re: Economics in Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

Similarly, we went to Villa Market earlier this week. There were 8 young girls stood there to give a wai, and the security guard saluted us. They obviously knew who I was :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I remember going to stores in Korea and there was a sales girl every 5 feet just standing there. If you approached, or even looked in that direction, you got a greeting and a bow.

Maybe the overstaffing is a sign of economic health.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Ropes wrote:A few days ago I ventured to Thai Watsadu the big industrial hardware warehouse on the road to Cha Am. On entering the store/warehouse I counted 18 assistants either talking or just standing around doing absolutely nothing and when I ventured further in the store there were other groups of staff not doing anything productive.
...............................snip
Just to add I am not having a pop at anybody or anything Thailand I am trying to understand the logic.
Well, it is not just this grumpy old Farang then is it! I have been trying to get around to this subject for the last week. I also went in there about a week ago. Completely ignored by the multitudes of "staff" standing around, OR blocking off sections of isles as they either restock or stock take. Some of the hanging racks with tools on them have a small metal collar SCREWED on to the arm so it is not possible to remove the item, I presume for stock taking!

After wandering around by ignored for just on an hour I eventually found what I was looking for. As they were sheets of material and stored about head height I went looking for some help. This was down in the rear section, or "trade" area. They have an air conditioned office in that area, and as the store itself was stinking hot, all the staff were holed up in there.

I opened the door and asked for some help and one of them made out that he was coming, but it turned out it was not to serve me. I walked back to the rack and managed to get the 4 sheets that I needed, cutting my hand in the process, and carried them up to the door of their office, where I again asked for some help.
Completely ignored this time! I have a short temper at the best of times, but when I am soaking wet from sweat, trying to carry what I want to buy AND walk using a walking stick, it is worse than waving the red flag at a bull! So I threw a Ford Dealer Tantrum, and apart from scattering out of my path, still no sign of getting served!

The next thing is, a very nice Thai lady CUSTOMER that spoke excellent English, came up and offered to help. I told her what had happened and she replied: "they have just done the same to me"! In fact I had noticed her about an half hour earlier trying to put items on a trolley by herself. I told her politely as I could that part of the problem was Thai people accepting shit like that, and that to me it is just a plain insult to be treated in that manner!

After a few more suggestions concerning their ancestors one girl came out of the air con: "solly, solly, ka, ka"!

But you are correct in that it is not confined to any individual business:it is endemic throughout many different types of BIG businesses. It very rarely happens in the small mum and pop type places. :cuss:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: Overstaffing in Thai superstores

Post by Gregjam »

Somewhat perversely the reason I go to Watsadu is the service as described in the original post to some degree. I get fed up when I go to HomePro with all the help being offered and all I want to do is look around. Not getting help when asking though is something I am not familiar with. As my nephew works in Watsadu I am a little biased but even when he has not spotted me I always got help when I asked for it.
The lack of air con there is probably one of the reasons why they are normally cheaper than HomePro but am not sure how they compare with Thawon although obviously the much larger shops will have more variety.
If I need something while I am in the middle of doing a job Thawon is excellent as although a little English is spoken they are very keen to help. I wanted some specific bolts and took in some samples. I don't think they had them there but was asked to wait a couple of minutes and one of their guys was despatched to get the items returning within a couple of minutes.
Another part of the warped pleasure in going to Watsadu is that unlike HomePro the wife does not want to come with me due to the lack of air con. I liken it to the male equivalent of Market Village without the distraction of clothes/shoes/beauty shops so saving me a fortune. Mentioning to her that they also sell noodles, detergents etc etc if she needs it always gets a few muttered comments which obviously are not complimentary but entertaining nonetheless. Don't really want her to come as she keeps making veiled comments about the Fly Now outlet place we pass on the way out there.
Okay, a bit off topic but the overstaffing is perhaps good for keeping people employed even if they are not so productive although in this heat who can be that productive. It seems strange that they were reluctant to help when asked and I will mention it to my relative as it is in their interest to look after customers to keep a job.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I think one of the problems with shop sales staff, the world over and not just in Thailand, is that a lot of them are students who having spent their entire allowance on an i-whatever, are having to "work" to feed themselves and consider it beneath themselves to actually serve people.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You see it in hospitals as well, at least the private versions. Every reception desk in every department is staffed by at least half a dozen nurses, not doing much but talking. A lot of nursing graduates, and I think a government guarantee that they will be employed. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Gregjam wrote:Somewhat perversely the reason I go to Watsadu is the service as described in the original post to some degree. I get fed up when I go to HomePro with all the help being offered and all I want to do is look around. Not getting help when asking though is something I am not familiar with. As my nephew works in Watsadu I am a little biased but even when he has not spotted me I always got help when I asked for it.
The lack of air con there is probably one of the reasons why they are normally cheaper than HomePro but am not sure how they compare with Thawon although obviously the much larger shops will have more variety.
If I need something while I am in the middle of doing a job Thawon is excellent as although a little English is spoken they are very keen to help. I wanted some specific bolts and took in some samples. I don't think they had them there but was asked to wait a couple of minutes and one of their guys was despatched to get the items returning within a couple of minutes.
Another part of the warped pleasure in going to Watsadu is that unlike HomePro the wife does not want to come with me due to the lack of air con. I liken it to the male equivalent of Market Village without the distraction of clothes/shoes/beauty shops so saving me a fortune. Mentioning to her that they also sell noodles, detergents etc etc if she needs it always gets a few muttered comments which obviously are not complimentary but entertaining nonetheless. Don't really want her to come as she keeps making veiled comments about the Fly Now outlet place we pass on the way out there.
Okay, a bit off topic but the overstaffing is perhaps good for keeping people employed even if they are not so productive although in this heat who can be that productive. It seems strange that they were reluctant to help when asked and I will mention it to my relative as it is in their interest to look after customers to keep a job.
I tend to have shared your experience Gregjam, most of the time there is always a member of staff who tries to help. Probably the fact that my wife is with me most of the time helps as we used TW a lot when we were having our house built and got to know a lot of the staff. They aren't always as knowledgable as I would like, but then again it varies from excellent to, haven't got a clue, but when thats the case most get by with a big smile. My biggest complaint has been when I've needed to exchange something, even a simple refund has taken best part of half an hour, but overall I rate TW quite highly!
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

There are just two staffers from whom I seem to get an immediate response out of at HP and TW when I wander in and oddly enough both are very pregnant. They are always keen to help me or they quickly jump on to one of those pretty little darlings usually hanging around the glassed cabinets so they can recheck their make-up for the umteenth time in the reflection.
As to the excessive staffing levels , I was told some are paid by the suppliers directly, obviously to push certain lines in the store.
Complexity is so simply overrated
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

The best shop in Hua Hin for service (as I've maybe said before)..is the hardware store on the Pala U Rd on your right going out of town ,this shop is ram-jam full of stock & with their knowledge + limited understanding of English I always come out with what I need within 5 mins of arriving..Full marks to them.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That sounds very similar to the place I've mentioned on this forum before. It's about 1 mile before Thai Watsadu, and a hell of a lot cheaper.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

deepee wrote:I was told some are paid by the suppliers directly, obviously to push certain lines in the store.
Never heard of that but makes perfect sense. Also explains why they can't be bothered if you are interested in another product than the one(s) they are hired to promote and sell.
And obviously it is the lack of language skills. No one of the staff likes to have to communicate with a foreigner in front of their peers. Too basic or even completely non-existent English skills puts them off. If you start talking to them in Thai you will see a big sigh of relief and they no longer wish and pretend that you are not there.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

usual suspect wrote:The best shop in Hua Hin for service (as I've maybe said before)..is the hardware store on the Pala U Rd on your right going out of town ,this shop is ram-jam full of stock & with their knowledge + limited understanding of English I always come out with what I need within 5 mins of arriving..Full marks to them.
Yes, I was in there just recently also looking for some odd pipe fittings. The shop has been split into 2 halves, my Chinese friend said he was fighting with those p--s next door! He went out of his way to make up the fittings I needed, plus he had stock of some special 220 volt lamps that I have not been able find anywhere, including a couple of big light shops in Bangkok! He sent a boy outside to help me park, and then carried everything out and put it in the car. :thumb:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Roel wrote:
deepee wrote:........................And obviously it is the lack of language skills. No one of the staff likes to have to communicate with a foreigner in front of their peers. Too basic or even completely non-existent English skills puts them off. If you start talking to them in Thai you will see a big sigh of relief and they no longer wish and pretend that you are not there.
This excuse does not cut it with me. Somebody standing there with items in his hand wanting to pay for them may speak Urdu, Eskimo or even Thai, should not be ignored by some (usually) young idiot that is more interested in talking to his mates! :guns:
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

I completely agree, but it is not an excuse, it is merely a reason for their awkward uncomfortable behaviour.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.