"Magical" Thai Buddhist Tattoos , why do older thai hate

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Chard
Rookie
Rookie

"Magical" Thai Buddhist Tattoos , why do older thai hate

Post by Chard »

As I said, the ritual of getting a "magical" Buddhist Tattoo by a master at a temple, usually a rank 1. Seem very common for Thai's between 20-30.

But over that many Thai people show you disrespect for that particular type of tattoos. Even though only Buddhist should have them. I'm slowly filling up my body. Back is done.
Have the "king tattoo" youngest person in Thailand to wear it and a legit one made by master mûk at Huay Sai Thai (Spelling) (Near Palm Hill, between Cha-Am and Hua Hin)

I know back in the days, it was gang related, marking of what gang you were in. But this day and age. They are same like having your medallions for protections but on body while fighting Muay Thai for an example.
So why so much hate?

As I walked down on the beach in Hua Hin the other day, at least 30 Thai's wanted to take a photo of my tattoo that the royal highness the king himself wear and as I said, I'm youngest in Thailand to wear it. But why do older hate them?

Anyone that can explain?
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: "Magical" Thai Buddhist Tattoos , why do older thai hate

Post by caller »

I'm curious about these tattoos, is it a Buddhist thing, or a Thai Buddhist thing?

When a farang wears them, it always strikes me as a little false even if a devotee. And forgive me if I'm wrong, but you give the impression of walking down the beach to show off your tats, that doesn't sound a particularly righteous thing to do?
Talk is cheap
Chard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chard »

What should I do? Never be able to soundbath and wear a Tshirt all the time. Been a Buddhist after converting in Chaing Mai 5 years ago.
It's not something for just Thai's it's for Buddhists. As I said. I helps you in all forms and protection much like the amulets. But when you can wear your amulet you still have your protection and blessing on you.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

I have heard stuff about the tattoos in the past, but can't remember now what was considered so 'Thai' about them. But it strikes me that whether you are Buddhist or not, Thai people will still see you first and foremost as farang. Some might not even realise that farang can be Buddhist as well, and might see it as being disrespectful to their faith.
Whether or not your tatts have been done by a master tattoist isn't the issue. You have the money, they will do whatever you want regardless of whether they think it is right.
But your main problem could be the 'Royal' tattoo. Did you research it? Should it be reserved for Thai people of a certain class? And similarly with the other tatts - are any of them reserved for Thai people who have been monks for example?
It is very easy to overstep the mark in Thailand without even realising it. What to us is body art, to Thais can have very significant meaning.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

I have a few questions:
How can you be sure you are the youngest person in Thailand to have this so called King's tattoo? Is there some official registration or something?
Is there anything you must have achieved in order to deserve this particular or other tattoos?
Why do you ask the forum why older Thais hate it you wearing these tattoos. As you are the one wearing them I would expect you to enlighten us.
Do you think all the Thais taking photos were stunned and impressed by the tattoos or simply flabbergasted that it was a farang wearing them?
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Good points Roel. I especially agree with your last one - are Thais simply stunned that a farang is wearing them. But can you shed any light on the origins and customs of the tattoes?
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

[quote]
Hey!

I love to go out and relax, easy to spot me. Dark dreads and red necklace with Buddhist medallions on them.
I'm kind and open. Love to talk and I love to listen. And my thai isn't the best and only having Thai friends can be hard, though I love all of em, they are really really nice people. I live near Palm Hills so between Cha-Am and Hua Hin. [quote]

Surely the answer to this question would be better directed to all "your Thai friends" or perhaps one of the monks at the temples you frequent.
You only live once.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

I suspect that chard is an exhibitionist especially if he likes people admiring his body art and as for being the youngest.... what more can you say.
PS I have tats too (pun intended) and are not for show to all and sundry!
My Thai wife tells me that tats are for low class people and gangsters. I guess that puts me in my place ha, ha.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

To understand what others think of you first you must understand what you think of yourself.
Why did you choose to have these tattoos done; for protection? for decoration? for self-aggrandisment?

You say older Thai's 'hate' your tattoos and you don't know why. Hate is one of the three poisons as is ignorance and greed. Magic and Luck are the low arts and should not be practiced. Those who practice them are being led by greed for money, wealth or status.

When you understand Buddha's teaching you will come to see that honesty, understanding, forgiveness and generosity are what provides true prosperity and protection and wholesomeness, not lucky charms, chants or scripts.

Wander only in your proper range, to step outside it without knowledge is foolish and dangerous.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

My Thai wife tells me that tats are for low class people and gangsters.
And also for Farangs walking angry dogs.
Chard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chard »

Frank Hovis wrote:To understand what others think of you first you must understand what you think of yourself.
Why did you choose to have these tattoos done; for protection? for decoration? for self-aggrandisment?

You say older Thai's 'hate' your tattoos and you don't know why. Hate is one of the three poisons as is ignorance and greed. Magic and Luck are the low arts and should not be practiced. Those who practice them are being led by greed for money, wealth or status.

When you understand Buddha's teaching you will come to see that honesty, understanding, forgiveness and generosity are what provides true prosperity and protection and wholesomeness, not lucky charms, chants or scripts.

Wander only in your proper range, to step outside it without knowledge is foolish and dangerous.

At last someone who understands, I do it as they work like my medallions while practicing Muay Thai as I can't wear them. Not only that, some Tattoos give me strength or protection, agility and speed. The way older Thai looks at them are as gang marks as back 20-30 years ago it was very common for gangs to mark them self with Tattoos much like theses to show what gang they were in etc. And no, I don't think many think I¨m just a farang as almost all Thai's get shocked when I say I'm from Sweden and almost all of them said I look like someone from Cambodia.

The reason master mûk gave me it is unknown. I only know that dedicated all my time to the temple dogs and after that to help him with everything he needed. Very common that I slept there on the floor , not as rough as it sounds, good pillow and a fan. But I kept asking and he said no. Did the Tattoos I needed for my protection or for my lack of agility etc. 30 days later I was on the edge to give up about asking him about it. That morning he said that he would do it to me the next day and I would be the only customer as it takes a long time. Btw, "Faranag with money haha" to a comment above you. The Tattoos cost as much for Thais as for me 100-300 Baht. I showed my passion, he saw my passion. And I think he thought I deserved it after showing dedication. I still keep helping out ofc.

And the way that he knew that I was the youngest, if you guys Google on Monks that practice these "Magic Buddhist Tattoos" know each other and aren't many. It was his second time he did one. And there were very many Thai's there who wanted not just see it but feel the energy of the old thai prayers/blessing very easy to fall into a state of trance, almost nirvana. Have happen to me all times except first Tattoo as it was just a writing about chock-dee and some other normal protections. But even then I felt something strange during the prayer/blessing.

I feel sorry for many people in here that just judge without further knowledge. I just simply wanted to know from a Farang way to look at it why the older hated it. Well, clearly this is not the forum to discuss, Meditation, Buddhism, dogs , nirvana or Trance in.

Too sad that there are so many close minded people put there.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I'm not close minded, just old and experienced enough to know that knowledge, skill and logic are what get you through life, not suspicions and talismans, although I'll admit they might have a psychological benefit if you believe in them, just as long as you don't expect them to stop bullets and things of that nature!
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Frank Hovis wrote:Magic and Luck are the low arts and should not be practiced.
This is also true for Hindu/Yogic practitioners. Those who advance from the basic levels can be seduced by the 'powers' they can acquire at the next levels and fall to the dark side, or fail to advance any further, toward enlightenment.
Chard wrote:I feel sorry for many people in here that just judge without further knowledge. I just simply wanted to know from a Farang way to look at it why the older hated it. Well, clearly this is not the forum to discuss, Meditation, Buddhism, dogs , nirvana or Trance in.

You are making a defensive assertion, out of your own wounded ego. Not very Buddhist. I don't believe the Saints saw any need to desecrate their bodies and your own tattoos are unlikely to attract serious seekers to your beliefs. Only 20-30 year olds who think they look 'cool'.

As a general point, older people disapprove of tattoos because they understand that what was 'cool' when you are 20, becomes an embarrassment when you are 40. Or cool-looking tattoos are a distortion of traditional Buddhism and therefore you are bound to receive disapproval. By adopting the practice, you are feeding the distortion.

The fact that you 'desired' and kept asking for it, rather than wait to be offered it, does not sound very virtuous and your 'teacher' was unwise in indulging you. You aren't supposed to be driven by desire, nor passion, which come from the senses and emotions.

When you made your post, you could have asked just about the older Thais feelings, without revealing you had such a tattoo but it appears you are proud of your tattoo and your special status, which is ego.

I am wondering what they taught you in the 5 years you studied. Because, so far, all I see are violations of basic teachings.

Maybe this is wrong and you can provide a reference to online Buddhist teachings, which approve of tattooing the body? :idea:
BingoBango
Banned
Banned

Post by BingoBango »

I dont want to sit on the fence so i wont. Chard sounds like a right dickhead. Its always worrying when you see a farang trying to look the part. Why get decorated from head to toe in tattoos that you hope give the impression that you are accepted as a thai but then ask on a forum if any farang want to be friends as the thais he knows arnt much good. Also if his thai language isnt that good. What or who was he speaking to for 5years in the temple. Or did he just speak to the dogs that he was sleeping on the floor with.

Any chance you could put a photo on the forum please chard so i can see if the image i have got of you in my head does you justice. I bet your mum and dad or whoever is funding your pilgrimage in thailand are well proud
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

The way older Thai looks at them are as gang marks as back 20-30 years ago it was very common for gangs to mark them self with Tattoos much like theses to show what gang they were in etc.
Entirely untrue. When I can be bothered I'll write a post explaining why. May never happen mind :wink:

:cheers: