Found a Cutting-Edge International School in Hua Hin?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
dr. mark
Novice
Novice

Found a Cutting-Edge International School in Hua Hin?

Post by dr. mark »

I'm an experienced educator and recently completed my dissertation research on higher international education in SE Asia.
Some of the issues that came to light in the research was the near impossibility of all countries to compete with China in areas that generate typical export income, thus eliminating this significant sector from most world economies that previously gave rise to "the little dragons".
The impact is particularly felt in SE Asia, where the 1997 economic collapse was preceded by the highest direct investment in history in China.
The implication is absolutely clear that people must be able to gain access to and complete higher education at a younger age, with fewer obstacles.
Asia and SE Asia is particularly interesting in this regard, in that the present young generation in Asia is the largest in history. In Viet Nam, for example, well over 50% of the population is under 23 years of age. However, if the potential of this generation is to be realized, higher education is a must in terms of generating a larger knowledge-based economic sector.
I am interested in establishing an international school that models the qualities of a seamless transition from lower education to higher education. Truthfully, if high schools do their job, the first two years of general education at the university level should not be necessary. Practically speaking, it should be possible for students to finish high school, move into an intensive 3 to four-year program in university that finishes with a masters degree.
I am keenly interested in establishing such a school in Hua Hin because Thai law is unusually open to international education, because of the presence of three universities in the area, and an environment that is highly attractive.
For any one interested, I welcome your thoughts, comments, interest, involvement and connections. Let's do something that will strongly and favorably impact local and global educational trends!
Mark
E-mail: intledu@msn.com, intledu1@yahoo.com
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

I'm an experienced educator, too, with int'l experience.
Interesting ideas. :idea: One question:
Can we make money doing this? I'm as high-minded as most Thais. 8)
dr. mark
Novice
Novice

Yes, we can...

Post by dr. mark »

Yes, we can.
Mark
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

dr. mark,

I hope you are able to get this idea off the ground, in my business one of the factors stopping some people buying property in Hua Hin is the lack of a quailty international school. Good luck to you.
Chas
Banned
Banned

intrnational school

Post by Chas »

As an educator with sources of information at Stamford University, I recommend that you contact the new administration there. I undrstand a crack team has taken over and is looking for opportunities to expand. Some kind of joint effort might be possible and I encourage you to contact them. Ask for Joseph Ho or Dr. Chira.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

If you come to Hua Hin, maybe we can all sit together over this topic. I have two daughters and might be interested in international school education for them. I'm also an educator, with M.Ed although I haven't taught for years.
dr. mark
Novice
Novice

Form from the University Down

Post by dr. mark »

JW, Chas and Others,
Thank you for your replies.
Actually, what I envision is very close linkages with the universities so that the process from high school through higher education is streamlined and seamless.
I would like to get in touch with the new administration at Stamford. My guess is that it is better to form a small interest group with connections to key people at Stamford, sit down and discuss this idea with them, and then develop a 5-year strategic plan if there is strong interest indicated.
Mark
dr. mark
Novice
Novice

E-mailing

Post by dr. mark »

Please feel free to e-mail me at the addresses in my signature. I am planning to come to Hua Hin possibly in a week as I have consulting to do in Cambodia in December.
I would like to meet with people interested in realizing this project.
Mark