Snakes in the house and garden

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Snakes in the house and garden

Post by Nereus »

So, apart from the helmet, and even with that he lifts up the visor, it is still a dangerous way to handle a snake. He appears to be distracting it with something, maybe the flashlight on his phone, and THEN taps the bloody thing on the head!
He is obviously a Farang, so what is the story with the Thai gent? Is that the way he has been taught to handle a snake by this idiot?

Sorry to labour the point on this, but where I come from, and the farm that I grew up on, have 10 of the most deadly snakes in the World. One of the first things that I was taught was that ALL snakes are to be avoided, unless you are specifically trained in how to both identify and handle them. Most snakes will avoid people if left alone, but if cornered they will attack. There is one species in Australia that WILL attack just because you happen to be there!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

David Frolich is portrayed as a local expert, and apparently knows his stuff (Steve Irwin was also portrayed as an expert :shock: ). I don't one end of a snake from the other, and always treat them with respect. I love to see them (from a safe distance until I know they're harmless), but wouldn't attempt to handle one. We had a set of snake tongs given to us, but it is always Mrs BB who catches/safely releases the snake - my excuse being that I have to take the photos :oops: .

I think (not sure) that David is properly trained.

The Thai gent is the guy who had the snake on his property, and called David for help.

INCIDENTALLY, ALTHOUGH THE POSTS WERE IN QUICK SUCCESSION, DAVID AND THE 24HR PHONE NUMBER I GAVE ARE IN NO WAY CONNECTED.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Thanks thats very handy number :)
mikeonthai
Novice
Novice

Post by mikeonthai »

David is a true expert!! And very careful I am told.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I've checked the facebook page Snakes of Hua Hin for a long time and David knows his stuff, and wears a motorcycle crash helmet when dealing with spitting snakes. He also seems to have a great affinity with snakes (I suppose he just knows their behaviour after much experience). In any case handing snakes is fine if you have experience (I don't). Didn't anyone ever go to the snake farm in Bangkok and watch the daily snake handling exhibition? But no-one's saying you can;t get bitten (or stung, someone mentioned Steve Irwin, RIP).

Nereus is correct that most snakes should just be left alone, they will shuffle off eventually, but if you have a nest in your garden it may be difficult for your family and pets to avoid. Rather than just killing them (harmless or not) Thai style, calling David or someone to take them away is the answer if you can't identify them (some species are a complete doddle to identify, both venomous or not, if you're unsure then stay away).

And BB: yes, keep behind the lens, never volunteer for the sharp end of anything. :D
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

mikeonthai wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:01 pm David is a true expert!! And very careful I am told.
An "expert" what? "And very careful"? Does he use a condom?

It is very obvious to anyone that has any eyesight at all, that what he is doing just shows that he is an "expert" idiot!

My concern with people like this is that they have no idea that what they are doing could very easily lead to some innocent kid being killed.

Where did the video come from? What's the bet that it is plastered all over some "social media" that is accessible to every kid that has a cell phone? :guns:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, it was posted on social media. However, there are people such as Steve Irwin portrayed worldwide doing much more dangerous stuff.

Points 41; Position 18
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Nereus, 'monkey see, monkey do' is not a good reason not to share videos on a facebook page dedicated to HH snakes.

Kids know that snakes can bite and some can be deadly. They also know it's not good to steal and drive cars at 180 kph, but they want to do it and do. So ban all of the 'Fast and Furious' films please.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

A total dick really, no gloves, no tongs, no bag to put it in immediately
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I never saw the likes of Steve Irwin with gloves or tongs either. :?

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

And where is he now?
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

StevePIraq wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:09 pm And where is he now?
Short of not stepping out his front door in the morning, what could have prevented his death?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Anyway, enough about whether people are brave, skilled or stupid. We should be talking about snakes :oops:

:offtopic: please

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

agreed and videos such as those two should not be followed in my opinion. There is proper equipment around to use for catching snakes, not your fingers
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Please report the posts, and Admin will decide.

Points 41; Position 18