Snakes in the house and garden

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Snakes in the house and garden

Post by Takiap »

lomuamart wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:48 pm
StevePIraq wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:26 am I believe it is a harmless Kukri, I have had many in my garden, including this one which we found dead along with a 300mm millipede.

DSC03227-1.jpg
Incidentally, that's no millipede but a centipede - OK, what's a few legs?
Answer, the difference between being pretty much harmless (millipede) and pretty dangerous (the one in the photo).
Snakes don't normally freak me out and I see plenty on golf courses but centipedes put the fear of God into me.
You're correct, it's a centipede, and they can give you a very nasty bite which I've been told is extremely painful. I have virtually no fear of snakes and have even helped a cobra to flee from a group of blood thirsty locals, but if I come across a centipede I send it to meet its maker.

By the way, for those who may not know, scorpions here in Thailand are generally pretty harmless so no need to panic if you get stung by one.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Jeez it seems the centipede is worse than most snakes. I have seen a few of these buggers about including a bright red one.

https://www.pattayaunlimited.com/thaila ... centipede/
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Millipedes are slow wandering grazers that don't look any scarier than a fat earthworm with a lot of legs.

Centipedes look evil and are fast.

IMHO
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

RCer wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:36 am Millipedes are slow wandering grazers that don't look any scarier than a fat earthworm with a lot of legs.

Centipedes look evil and are fast.

IMHO
Correct. Just the colour of them is enough warning. And then their speed. Scary monsters.
I'd much prefer to come across a snake but not an angry one.
Mind you, a centipede won't "have a go" unless provoked. I just keep my feet off the ground.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

...and if you do have a go at one they'll always turn their tail toward you trying to make you think it's their head, wack the other end! :shock: Both ends look very similar except for the fangs. I had a security guard once who used to pick them up behind the head, take out his nail clippers and snip off the fangs. He then let it crawl around on his shoulders and back for an hour or so. Great amusement and astonishment for the soi kids. After that he took them home and let them soak in a bottle of Thai whisky. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I really dislike those things. A few years ago our dog decided to 'protect' us from a centipede, so he picked it up and tossed it in the air. It landed on my head! :shock:

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:lach:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I had a homing kukri a few years ago.....every day or so we would catch it and take it further and further away, but it kept coming back! They don't like to be handled roughly and do a strange movement with their tail when upset! When I last saw it was very egg bound and looked like a string of sausages. In the end I just left it and it went away on its own.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Here's a decent size one. From the garden of a friend in Pattaya.
FB_IMG_1470151186285.jpg
FB_IMG_1470151186285.jpg (63.58 KiB) Viewed 501 times
YNWA
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

I have seen a bite from one of those centipedes, not a pretty sight I can assure you.
It ended up almost like an open sore ulcer on the side of the calf, took ages to heal too. . . . . beware and take heed of the warnings!!! :twisted:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

They can't swim though so a jump into the pool is an escape route. :shock: I vacuum them up all the time from the bottom of my pool. Not as big as in the Pattaya photo, but about a third of that size. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Total admiration for this guy. Hua Hin's own snake man dealing with a cobra.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This number was published on a Thai page this morning and is the 24hr number you should call if you have a snake in the house - 032-514514
snakeman.jpg

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Well, 100% marks for providing a service. But he is a complete idiot to handle a deadly snake in that manner! One day, poking his finger into a hole when at that stage he probably does not know exactly what it is, is a sure way to get bitten. And perhaps, somebody could buy a decent size bag for him. He shows the camera covered in venom, but fails to show that the first thing you need around a snake like that is a pair of glasses.

Some kid will see this video, and despite the micro second warning at the start, will think it is ok to catch a snake like that.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:48 am
Well, 100% marks for providing a service. But he is a complete idiot to handle a deadly snake in that manner! One day, poking his finger into a hole when at that stage he probably does not know exactly what it is, is a sure way to get bitten. And perhaps, somebody could buy a decent size bag for him. He shows the camera covered in venom, but fails to show that the first thing you need around a snake like that is a pair of glasses.

Some kid will see this video, and despite the micro second warning at the start, will think it is ok to catch a snake like that.
Maybe I should have shown the original video as well.

Points 41; Position 18