Snakes in the house and garden

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Re: Snakes in the house and garden

Post by Big Boy »

Ours don't bark, they just kill. We've witnessed it happen twice, and the snake doesn't suffer.

In their defence, they've protected us from a couple of pit vipers, and a big king cobra. The king cobra must have been quite a battle though. Normally the kill is within a second and they lay beside their trophy. The cobra was found in 3 separate places.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
mikeonthai
Novice
Novice

Re: RE: Re: Snakes in the house and garden

Post by mikeonthai »

Houdi wrote:
Nereus wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:49 pm
mikeonthai wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:01 pm David is a true expert!! And very careful I am told.
An "expert" what? "And very careful"? Does he use a condom?

It is very obvious to anyone that has any eyesight at all, that what he is doing just shows that he is an "expert" idiot!

My concern with people like this is that they have no idea that what they are doing could very easily lead to some innocent kid being killed.

Where did the video come from? What's the bet that it is plastered all over some "social media" that is accessible to every kid that has a cell phone? :guns:
Only one idiot on this thread and what a comedian you are too !!

I find the 'Snakes of Hua Hin' site extremely informative and useful. They identify any snake from a photo - usually very quickly and confirm whether it is venomous or not. And, they will come and take it away for safe release.

David and his team provide a very valuable service to the local community.

Instead of abuse and infantile comments we should be supporting people who are trying to help us.
Spot on...
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

This guy has some very good advice regarding snake bites and first aid needed immediately after the bite.There is a different first aid treatment btwn a Cobra and Pit Viper.Well worth watching

hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"As snakes invade Thailand’s capital, it’s firefighters who are coming to the rescue"

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/11/15 ... st+-+Text)
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

johnjar wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:48 pm Not in the garden, although the snake must have been milked beforehand giving a dry bite, as the guy got a bite on his neck and leg though the video is well worth watching :)
(Mod Edit: Video will not copy. See original above)

I think you will find that the snake has had its poison glands removed. Milking a snake does not drain all the poison, so a bite would still be unpleasant, if not fatal.
Last edited by PeteC on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

johnjar wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:51 pm This guy has some very good advice regarding snake bites and first aid needed immediately after the bite.There is a different first aid treatment btwn a Cobra and Pit Viper.Well worth watching
He has a good website about snakes in Thailand which look very informative.
https://www.thailandsnakes.com/thailand ... -thailand/
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

404cameljockey wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:53 am
johnjar wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:51 pm This guy has some very good advice regarding snake bites and first aid needed immediately after the bite.There is a different first aid treatment btwn a Cobra and Pit Viper.Well worth watching
Yes his utube channel and website is great, especially his relaxed way of explaining about snakes, wild life, and about Thailand in general, and especially good information for me as I have a jungle the other side of my garden wall :)
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

johnjar wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:25 am
Yes his utube channel and website is great, especially his relaxed way of explaining about snakes, wild life, and about Thailand in general, and especially good information for me as I have a jungle the other side of my garden wall :)
I hope you keep at least a couple of yards clear ground the other side of your wall.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

404cameljockey wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:36 pm
johnjar wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:25 am

I hope you keep at least a couple of yards clear ground the other side of your wall.
Yes I do, and also cleared some trees overhanging into our space but they grow back real quick, especially with all the rain recently.

Clearing a couple yards doesn't stop our local snakes coming to visit, the main safeguard is keeping the area outside house free of bushes,and clutter etc, so that the hiding places are narrowed down to under washing machine , water pump cover, one thing though they keep the rodent population down :wink:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Water pump cover, sneaky little buggers! :D
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Headsup re snake catcher David Frolich, currently asking to be a lot more active (for a couple of days, anyway):

"Some of you may know that I take callouts to come relocate venomous snakes. I’d like to ask everyone to please call me for ANY snake you have in your home / garden for the next 2 days. I’ve got a camera crew from Germany following me around for the next 2 days. We are filming for a TV show about the snake relocation work I do here in Hua Hin, and it would be great if we could film a call out. So please, call me if you’ve got ANY snake and wouldn’t mind us coming over to film it. My number is 090-143-0202, or just message me here on Facebook. Thanks!"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1749132 ... et&fref=nf
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Man killed by riled python in front of elderly sister

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

SUKHOTHAI: A 55-year-old man was killed in front of his horrified sister while wrestling with a 3-metre python he kept captive underneath their pole house in Kong Krailat district on Monday evening.

Sawaeng Thapkhlai, 63, rushed downstairs to see what was going on she heard her younger brother  Sawan Thapkhlai cry out for help and plead for someone to hand him a knife.

She was greeted by the shocking sight of her brother held fast in the coils a huge snake. Bravely, she took hold of the reptile's tail, hoping to pull it from him and save her brother.

But the snake proved far stronger than her best efforts and she yelled out for neighbours to come and help her.

Unfortunately, no one arrived in time to save her brother, who had already breathed his last by the time neighbours and relatives rushed in.

Together, they recaptured the snake and put it in a sack.

The snake had not wandered into the house and attacked the man at random. Rather, he had been keeping it there for about three days in a big earthen jar sitting underneath the house.

It was believed he tried to get the python out of the jar with one hand, while holding a knife in the other hand. It seems Sawan had been wrestling with snake, which on this occasion wrapped itself tightly about his body and neck, suffocating and defeating him.

The snake bore some cuts, believed to have been made by its victim, who also had some bites on his body.

It was not clear what the villagers later did with the snake.(yeah, right!)
snake.jpg
snake.jpg (27.81 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Sad but serves the silly bugger right. Should have just killed and eaten it off the bat.

(and I love the idea of a 'riled' python, maybe it was 'miffed' too. :D)
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Not sure what this one is?
dispatched by dog
dispatched by dog
IMG_0567.JPG (218.55 KiB) Viewed 938 times
skin cleanup
skin cleanup
IMG_0549.JPG (219.3 KiB) Viewed 938 times