Voranai another good article

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
jamiep
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Another good article from Voranai

Post by jamiep »

I am in total agreement with you.

Except that King Naresuan 3 came out in March this year. I went to see it, it was a very rousing patriotic film ;-)

I do wonder how much influence Voranai might have since I think although he is on TV and in print, I think his audience is limited to English speakers, mostly farang?? Would he be allowed to be so critical and outspoken in the Thai press?

But I really appreciate his intelligent analysis of the current political / social situation here in Thailand.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

And yet another; this guy is really a master wordsmith with intelligent thoughts and opinions of most every facet of Thai life...
If kindness is a crime

A girl in worn-out clothes selling garlands approached a taxi. The taxi driver waved her away.

''Hold on, don't do that,'' said his passenger. He rolled down the window and beckoned to the girl. ''How much, honey?'' he asked.

''Forty baht, sir,'' the girl replied. ''Forty? Aren't they usually 20?'' the passenger smiled.

The girl looked at him with puppy-eyes. The passenger sighed: ''Alright, 40 it is.''

She handed him the garland and smiled, saying ''Thank you, sir'' and waiing before walking off. A moment of silence followed, until the light turned green and the taxi drove off.

The taxi driver spoke, ''You know, sir. You shouldn't give money to these kids.''

''Why is that, brother?'' the passenger asked, amused.

''All these kids are working for criminal gangs,'' the taxi driver said. ''You're just wasting your money. She'll probably buy drugs with it.''

''How do you know, brother? ''

''Everyone knows.''

''Everyone knows or everyone thinks they know, brother?''

''It's a fact, sir.''

''Then where's the evidence, brother?'' The passenger laughed softly and offered a thought. ''Brother, what do you think is going to happen to that girl?''

''What do you mean, sir?''

''Let's assume, brother, that a gang puts her up to this. What do you think is going to happen to her if no one buys from her?''

''I don't know, sir, probably gets a beating.''

''Not much of a prospect, is it, brother?''

''No sir, not much.''

''Let's again assume, brother, that people stop buying from her, period. What will the gang make her do then?''

''Probably force her to steal, deal drugs, or maybe into prostitution.''

''I think we can both agree that her future is bleak, can't we, brother?''

''Yes sir, we can.''

''Brother, I think we can both agree that no one is going to rescue her and thousands like her. Not you, not I, not anyone else. Can we agree on that?''

''Yes sir, we can.''

''Brother, did you see that little smile on her when I gave her the money?''

''No sir, I couldn't, not from where I'm sitting.''

''Perhaps it was a grateful smile, brother. Perhaps it was a mocking smile, having fooled me into paying double price. But whatever it was, she seemed happy, satisfied for that one tiny little moment. And it only cost 40 baht.''

''Forty may mean nothing to someone like you, sir, but it's a lot to people like me.''

''And that's why, brother, it was I who bought from her, not you. Life is hard enough, dodging zooming luxury cars just to make a living.''

The taxi came to another stoplight.

''She's probably not even Thai, sir _ a lot of them aren't.''

''Perhaps brother, but all of them are still human beings.''

A boy then approached the passenger's window, begging for money. The passenger rolled down the window.

''Are you selling something?'' The boy shook his head. ''Have you got a piece of cloth to wipe down the windows?'' The boy shook his head. ''Do you expect people to give you money for nothing?''

The boy gave him an angry look and walked away, muttering curses to the passenger's ancestors.

''We get all kinds out here, sir,'' the taxi driver shook his head.

''There're all kinds everywhere in this world,'' the passenger said, smiling.

From June 19-26, the police arrested 241 Cambodian beggars. There were 92 men and 149 women, all deported back to Cambodia.

A study shows that one beggar can make up to 300 to 1,000 baht per day. Some can even make up to 2,000 baht. According to the Social and Human Development Ministry, the begging industry generates up to 20 million baht per month.

Can these numbers be trusted? Make of them what you will.

Experts say begging rings are run by human trafficking gangs. They kidnap the victims and put them on the street. But many also choose the work. A mother with a small child can be rewarded up to 120,000 baht for an 18-month service in the streets. A child aged five to 15 can get 80,000 baht. A handicapped person can make 70,000 baht.

Can these numbers be trusted? Make of them what you will.

The problem, say the experts, is that Thai people are ''too kind-hearted''. The industry exists and the gangs flourish simply because the Thai heart is too mushy.

I say, that's only half of it. The other half is that we Thais, being Buddhists, like to spread kindness and make merit to ensure many happy returns later in this life and the next.

Call it an investment, more specifically, an investment in karma.

I don't disagree that children or the handicapped begging in the streets or dodging luxury automobiles at the intersection to make a living selling flowers or garlands is an urgent social problem.

I cannot agree, however, that the blame should be put on the kindness of the Thai people, or with trying to solve the problem by telling us to stop being kind.

First of all, this is a fallacy. We are no kinder than anyone else, because if we were, there wouldn't be children or handicapped people begging on the streets in the first place. Second, what do we think would happen if each and every one of us ceased our acts of ''kindness''?

Would the gangs give up and their members decide to become good, productive citizens, turning the dungeons where they keep the children into kind and caring orphanages?

Would the children be freed to go to school, complete their studies and eventually become doctors and lawyers?

Would the handicapped get brand new wheelchairs with satellite-guided GPS?

No, no and no. The gangs would resort to more desperate measures. The children would be forced to steal, deal drugs and go into prostitution. The handicapped would continue to be neglected.

Why don't we address the issues at the heart of the problem? Social development for the long term, and targeting human trafficking gangs with vigilance _ instead of pinning the blame on kindness.

Or perhaps the gangs pay too well in bribe money and have connections in high places?

Perhaps many of us would rather invest out of greed for the present, rather than the many happy returns later in this life or the next one _ which means many of us may not be good Buddhists in the first place, doesn't it?

Contact Voranai Vanijaka via email at voranaiv@bangkokpost.co.th
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Khun Voranai has come up with a another thought-provoking gem in this weekend's Bangkok Post, perfectly encapsulating the current state of Thai politics - I love his style:

The power of one

Published: 28/08/2011 at 12:00 AM
Newspaper section: News

I read the news today, oh boy, about a lucky man who made the grade, and though the news was rather sad, well I just had to laugh. His son and daughter are in the clear, and his ex-wife is too. Don't you just love the Beatles?

UDD leaders have become members of parliament. UDD followers are being freed from jail. The majority of those responsible for the bombing and burning of Bangkok and provincial city halls will never be brought to justice.

Just like no one will be found guilty of killing 92 people during the troubles of April and May of last year.

The private sector is coming around, with the CP group, for example, supporting a minimum wage hike to 300 baht, and a 15,000 baht starting salary for holders of bachelor degrees.

Government agencies are also seeing the light.

The Revenue Department is no longer pursuing back taxes of 5.677 billion baht from son Panthongtae and another 5.675 billion from daughter Pinthongta Shinawatra in the Ample Rich scheme.

The court is in step with the trend. It overturned a three-year jail term given to Khunying Potjaman na Pombejra after she was convicted of tax evasion of 546 million baht in the transfer of 4.5 million shares in Shinawatra Computer and Communications Plc.

Her secretary Kanjanapa Honghern also got off. Her half brother, Bannapot Damapong, got a slap on the wrist with a two-year jail term, suspended for one year, and a 100,000 baht fine.

Ask your local bookie what the odds are of him actually serving any time.

Whether these people are guilty of anything is not for me to say. I do not know every detail of their cases, nor do I know every letter of the relevant laws.

And though I look good in black, I don't wear the robes of a judge.

But this I do know _ this is a political issue. It's ''realpolitik''. It is decided by power, not justice. If there is any justice in it, that's merely a byproduct of chance, a stroke of luck.

The same is true regardless of who's in power, the Democrats or Pheu Thai.

Good and evil are moral concepts. Justice is a matter of legality. Neither of these are the basis for Thailand's political system; one may well argue the same goes for any country.

Hence, examining politics from a moral or legal perspective would only lead one to miss the point entirely.

That's not to say that politics shouldn't be based on moral principles or justice _ they should be _ but we cannot pave the way to ''what should be'' if we don't first understand the past for ''what was'' and recognise the present as ''what is''.

What is the current reality? It's simple _ realpolitik is a power game. To the victor, goes the spoils.

Guess who's the victor.

According to an Abac poll, 68.9% of respondents said they wanted Thaksin Shinawatra to stop his political activities and let Ms Yingluck do her job by herself; 20.5% said the former premier should have a role in helping the country and its people; while 10.6% thought the man I called ''the de facto prime minister'' could do whatever he liked.

The good news is 68.9% of the respondents are idealists.

Allow me to make a bold presumption and venture to say that they rightly believe the instigator of the current political and social conflicts _ the man ultimately responsible for the burning of Bangkok and provincial city halls, the convicted felon, the fugitive on the run _ should not interfere in the running of the Kingdom.

In fact, he should be hunted down and put under the guillotine.

The other bit of good news is that 20.5% of the respondents are also idealists.

Allow me to make another bold presumption and venture to say that they rightly believe the legitimate prime minister of Thailand, harassed by the leaders of the PAD _ who are the true instigators of the current political and social conflicts _ he who was ousted by a military coup and a victim of court decisions influenced by ''the invisible hand'' should have a hand in running the Kingdom. In fact, the Kingdom should give him back his premiership, which it sort of did on July 3 anyway.

See what I did there?

The idealists can build a world, but they may end up destroying one instead. This is because they often close out contrary voices. They become pigheaded, foolish and indeed fanatical _ and that is never a good thing.

The even better news is that 10.6% of the respondents are realists.

Because really, based on the news I've outlined above the de facto prime minister can apparently do whatever he likes. Who's going to stop him?

He was kicked out with tanks and had his political party and all its members banned.

His amateur chef nominee was driven into an early grave and his brother-in-law and nominee political party were banned.

His red shirt supporters were driven out of the streets once in 2009 and again last year.

But he still wins every general election _ including the most recent one on July 3 _ by a landslide, no less.

Allow me to make a bold presumption and venture to say that the 10.6% simply shrugged their shoulders and sighed, ''What you gonna do, eh?''

In fact, they are just being realistic.

However, realists just exist in the world. They don't destroy, but they also don't build.

They just shrug _ mai pen rai _ and accept things, and that is never a good thing.

But an idealist who aims to build a world, while also being pragmatic enough to deal with the reality of what is _ now we may be on to something.

Thaksin meddles in Thai politics. Those who deny that are ignorant or lying. Whether he has the moral or legal right to meddle is beside the point.

He has the power and desire to do so _ that is the point of realpolitik.

We can bicker over charter amendments and amnesty until King Naresuan Part 16 hits the cinemas and it won't matter. Sooner or later, Thaksin will return to Thailand and quite possibly become prime minister again.

Only three things can prevent this.

First, a military coup. Second, the establishment wielding its power over the courts. Third, ''an accident''.

All three options are also the reality of realpolitik.

But see, while we must understand the past as ''what was'' and deal with the present as ''what is'', we also must pave the way for ''what should be''. To build a country we must be realists with idealistic goals.

Two wrongs never make a right. They just make a U-turn to medieval times, as the past five years following the 2006 military coup have demonstrated.

For the past 79 years, since the change from absolute monarchy to a constitutional one in 1932, Thailand has struggled mightily with this thing called democracy.

Democracy _ flawed though it may be, subject to human abuse and manipulation as it surely is _ is still the best political system until the Greeks decide to invent something else.

But the Greeks have enough problems of their own at the moment, so someone else might want to take a shot at it.

The reality is that Thailand is a struggling democracy. The ideal would be for Thailand to develop a mature advanced democracy. For this to happen, we must adhere to democratic principles. If you want to make an orange juice, then squeeze some oranges, not apples.

Hence, say no to the three realpolitik options.

Thaksin _ still a fugitive from Thai justice _ is the power. He can now go to Japan, although the new foreign minister denies he intervened to make this possible. His family was unscathed by a court ruling last week. He will sooner or later be in the clear because the Pheu Thai government is his. It belongs to him.

That's the reality of ''what is''.

To pave the way to ''what should be'', 67 million Thais can go to the polls in four years and decide.

Perhaps Thailand should be ruled by the Shinawatra family like an oligarchy, perhaps we should go back to the way things were under the old elites. That is up for the majority of the voters to decide _ the majority rules, but don't forget minority rights.

And because those are the only two realistic options at the moment, the scenario only confirms that Thailand's problem isn't Thaksin, Pheu Thai or the red shirts.

It isn't the military or the elites. It isn't the Democrats. It isn't the yellow shirts.

Thailand's troubles are much more deeply rooted _ those often cited as the causes are merely symptoms.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Great article, I've always maintained that those that voted for King Thaksin to return should reap what they have sown - unfortunately we all have to reap it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

He needs to be careful though for his own sake. Too much reference to things like a "guillotine" and an "accident". He could be pushing the envelop on purpose though to see how far he can go before they try to do something. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

buksida wrote:Great article, I've always maintained that those that voted for King Thaksin to return should reap what they have sown - unfortunately we all have to reap it.
But the article really just states what is obvious to everyone. That when a Govt. changes here, you just get one set of crooks replacing the other - thats what we have all been witnessing.

But I can't see any end to the merry-go-round - and neither can the author as he doesn't provide any answers.
Talk is cheap
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I can't remember if this has been somewhere else in the forum so I'll add it here. There seems to be other good documentaries of the old Thailand there as well.

Bamboo Grove

Voranai another good article

Post by Bamboo Grove »

This is why I like Sunday mornings.

http://m.bangkokpost.com/opinion/308297
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Re: Voranai another good article

Post by charlesh »

My goodness this bloke surely knows how to hit close to home. He is obviously undaunted and perhaps very brave (read naive) in saying what he does. He can hardly be called a conservative hack and would not get a job in NoW.
There have been some books recently written that explore the role of the secret war run by the CIA in Vietnam and the money generated through the transport and sale of drugs to fund that disastrous campaign. And the LOS was apparently up to its' neck in that too! Maybe the children of those who benefited are now in positions of power ?
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Brave man. I spoke to a South China Morning Post journalist last week who said there was a lot of self-censorship at his paper and a political appointee was now heading it, affecting the ability to criticize. Voronai seems to suffer less from this.

In the phoney War on Drugs the powerful often do take action. To eliminate competition and push up street prices. :idea:
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

The drug situation is such a massive problem in Thailand. You see it everywhere you go (if you know the obvious signs that is). In Hua Hin last weekend I was only out for a day or 2 and saw at least a dozen people on either Yaa Baa or Yaa ice (difficult to tell which one as both leave similar facial expressions). In Bangkok it's even worse. I know if I was to ask a taxi driver where to get some the majority of them would lead me in the right (or wrong as it may) direction.

I've never seen anything like it to be honest. It's so bad and gone so deep I really don't know how they are going to do anything about it at this stage with the incompetence of the police.

When I was living in Samut Prakan a guy in the little mom and pop shop next to me was caught with 1.1 million tablets. Made the papers and all that. Did it stop the rife drug addiction down Nam Deang road.... did it feck! Someone else just stepped in to do the supplying.

Thaksin had a go at controlling the flow of drugs didn't he? We all know how that turned out... many innocent people killed.

What they can do I have no idea as it's well above my pay grade (and skill set) to think of solutions to what is, the biggest problem Thailand faces.

:cheers:
Rookie
Rookie

Post by image »

ICE..the problem is rife everywhere..AUS also..and they are dangerous junkies..so watch out..delusional and full of strenght..you cant knock then down.they get straight back up..at least smack addicts just stand around the sink discussing the dishes...ICE is the worst drug ive seen ever..madness!!
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

image wrote:ICE..the problem is rife everywhere..AUS also..and they are dangerous junkies..so watch out..delusional and full of strenght..you cant knock then down.they get straight back up..at least smack addicts just stand around the sink discussing the dishes...ICE is the worst drug ive seen ever..madness!!
Bit of a coincidence date-wise, 20th August 2008 I posted on a similar topic...
Super Joe wrote:Have a read about how meth (ice) is exploding in the US and UK, will be worse than crack was in the US. More addictive, longer high, worse come-down, more aggression, toxic mixing ingredients bought over the shelf and cooked in some clowns bedroom/garage, content as he sees fit.
I was always a bit ahead of my time on this subject :laugh:

SJ
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

All this talk but everyone still forgets (myself included with the first post) that the biggest evil when taken in large quantities is.... alcohol.

But governments receive a lot of money from this so it's 'brushed under the carpet' as such.

It's a wonderful world eh!

If you were to eradicate the consumption of alcohol you would probably halve the amount of people using (the general once a week users not addicts I'm talking about) recreational drugs in the world in less than a month. Some people start their evening with a social drink never contemplating about going out to get anything 'stronger' at that time. When the alcohol takes affect and reasoning/common sense goes out the window, the people that do play with the stronger stuff will , at a slight mention, want to continue the party. This also rings true for people that have yet to try the illegal drugs but... under the influence of alcohol they think 'Hey, why not'. Something they would never do had they not dropped a couple of tequilas.

The amount of murders, rapes, stabbings, violence, self harm, destruction of families and many more horrible things that has been caused by alcohol consumption is massive. Far more so than drugs.

But... Countries get a lot of money from it so ban it - absolutely not.

How many times in your life have you said/done something you really regretted under the influence of alcohol. Now let someone who has anger issues, self control issues, psychological issues etc etc drink the devils brew and let's see what happens.

The old bullshit 'cannabis is the gateway to harder stuff' is simply that third word in the sentence. Alcohol is the gateway for the majority of people by a large margin. Can you imagine... Stoned on the couch watching 'Silent Jay and Bob Strike Back' and asked if you want to walk the streets in search of harder stuff...

"Not up for it mate but can you pass me that donut next to you"

:cheers: