When Soi Dog's Attack...

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: When Soi Dog's Attack...

Post by dtaai-maai »

Welcome to the forum, Pat. The general idea when posting is to say something. Preferably something amusing or informative, but anything is better than nothing.

It also proves you are not just a piece of daft software. :thumb:
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote:Welcome to the forum, Pat. The general idea when posting is to say something. Preferably something amusing or informative, but anything is better than nothing.

It also proves you are not just a piece of daft software. :thumb:
Or confirms that you are!!
luna
Novice
Novice

Post by luna »

advocate wrote:I love dogs and have one myself.

However. I know of at least 5 Hua Hin expats that have come off their motorbikes after hitting strays, including myself. I broke my shoulder as a result. Injuries to other expats have included broken ribs, fingers, etc etc.

An expat in Mountain Village hit a dog about 6 weeks ago and died the next day from a head injury.

Some of the dogs are not even strays, but are allowed to roam by their irresponsible Thai owners.

My pregnant wife was attacked by the neighbors very large, muscular, and aggressive pit bull. Thankfully it was beaten off by some passing Thai workers armed with their steel hoes. This dog has attacked and killed 2 of the other neighors dogs and should never have been allowed to run loose. Someone else finally got fed up and poisoned it.

So yes, I like pet dogs but not wild feral mutts. How many more people have to be killed or injured before something is done? I am all in favor of a humane cull.
Hi, I am new to this forum. The soi dogs attack is my main concern that may inhibit me to move to Thailand. How to cull them? unless the Thai authorities would care and take action, or maybe the Expat community would do some thing together. I am so scared of these dogs and am trying to find a way to defend myself. But can you have a walk leisurely and pleasantly while arming to defend yourself?
Do you know if the Thai Authorities is concerned and try to do something?
:cry:
advocate
Professional
Professional

Post by advocate »

A five foot long walking stick and pepper spray work just fine. The dogs are wary of the stick and will not approach too close.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thai dogs are corrupt just like many things here. :shock: If you're dealing with the same pack all the time a pocket full of dog biscuits may be better than the stick/spray. Of course they'll come to expect a treat and god help you if you forget them one day. :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Luna..............generally speaking, 99% of the soi dogs don't and won't attack. From the moment they're born, the locals "teach them" that humans are not to be messed with. Yes, many will bark at you, but that's about as far as it goes. It's the dogs that have owners (Thai and Farang) that you need to watch out for.

I've been bitten and so has my daughter, and on both occasions, the dogs were well fed and cared for by their owners. The one that bit me was put on a chain, and has remained chained up ever since. The one that bit my daughter has bitten scores of people since then and will no doubt bite many more. Of course if it bites me or one of my kids again, it will die, one way or another. Not something I would enjoy doing, but.

To answer your other question...............No, the authorities are not concerned about any soi dog problem. They never have been, and most likely never will be. So, as far as soi dogs are concerned.....you're on your own. :mrgreen:

That said, I don't think you should let dogs influence your decision as to whether or not you move to Thailand.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Frog
Banned
Banned

Post by Frog »

I've been bitten over 4 times in Thailand/Burma by dogs in the past 4 years. So now me bites and I don't use guns, knives, bombs or pesticides. I use my love outside which always survives..
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

PLEASE everybody :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll:

Ignore and it will crawl back to it's water lily leaf and await a princess Katoey to kiss and change it into a manly, macho Katoey prince
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Frog
Banned
Banned

Post by Frog »

More insults and Hatred from others, wow what friendly community here..
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Katoey prince
I misread that as 'Katy Price' - put the coffee on.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Frog wrote:I've been bitten over 4 times in Thailand/Burma by dogs in the past 4 years.

To be perfectly honest..........I'm not surprised. :roll:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Frog
Banned
Banned

Post by Frog »

Well dogs don't like many animals and I am a monkey or some people call me a frog, cat or lizard and I accept no less or more so what else can you do to insult me, It really doesnt bother me, I agree with all of your hatred and all I have to show you in return is RESPECT AND LOVE. Go to bed now.......
ragthai
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ragthai »

Ratpoison mixed with some meat will take care of them
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

ragthai wrote:Ratpoison mixed with some meat will take care of them
:tsk: No...a horrible death :?
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

My wife's boy got a BB gun that had a 'repeater' setting..simply waited for the problem-dog to close-in and peppered it with about 50 (plastic) BBs..this gun HAD been modified to give more clout, and it was not quiet..job done..dog got the message
p.s. A cycling-friend of mine has a Tazer-Zapper..when on his cycle..if a dog flies out of it's yard with aggression..just the sound of the contacts arcing across at each other normally wards-off the mutt instantly.. no discomfort to the mangey-hound, but lesson-learnt & no teeth-marks in ya leg.