Tips for recycling and reducing plastic use in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
buksida

Re: Tips for recycling and reducing plastic use in Thailand

Post by buksida » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:06 am

PCD to axe water bottle seals by end of year
The Pollution Control Department (PCD) has set a target of eradicating plastic cap seals on drinking water bottles by the end of this year.

A cap seal is the small plastic strip attached to the cap that must be peeled off before the bottle can be opened. Studies have found that bottles without them pose no greater risk to hygiene.

The PCD has received firm commitments from five big players in the commercial bottled water sector that they will cease using cap seals by April 1, according to Sunee Piyapanpong, PCD's chief.

They are Boonrawd Trading (Singha drinking water), Sermsuk (Crystal), Thai Beverage (Chang), Nestle (Nestle Pure Life) and Carabao Group (Carabao).

"The reality is we still can't stop using plastic, but we can try to use it only when necessary. Today, we can reduce the cap seals used by the big companies by 80%. We hope that by next year, there will no longer be any cap seals used at all in the country," she said.

Thai PCD is keen to reduce the amount of non-recyclable waste generated each year, and yesterday signed a Memorandum of Understanding with 11 partners, from both the state and commercial sectors.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/enviro ... nd-of-year
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Get out there: On The Road Asia

Vital Spark
Ace
Ace

Re: Tips for recycling and reducing plastic use in Thailand

Post by Vital Spark » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:57 pm

OK, that's one tiny little step - better than nowt.

I gave my students a lecture today about drinking straws. I told them they don't need them for their purchases of water, orange juice, etc. Just say no! While I was at it I told them to refuse carrier bags. I'm going to keep bashing it in - my swan song during my last term here. :)

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"