Charging for plastic bags in Thailand?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Charging for plastic bags in Thailand?

Post by handdrummer »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:35 am guess the PM is concerned about what the people like-- he must be up for re-election soon.
If you haven't been elected how do you get re-elected?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

my sarcastic point exactly.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

HHTel wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:19 pm There are 'bottle bins' and separated bins dotted around. I'm told that the Thais do use them properly. Maybe not enough of them though.
I could not agree less with this statement.
If this were the case why is there so much plastic, wrappers, bottles strewn all over the sides of roads. I see the school bus/truck go past my place daily and the kids just throw the used containers to the side of the road.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Run for your life -- every step counts

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opi ... tep-counts
Metropolitan Police Bureau deputy commissioner Chiraphat Phumchit said running events in the inner city might be banned. He said this after it was apparent the Rama VIII Bridge experienced severe garbage problems when the popular Bangkok Marathon was over last Sunday.

After the event finished early in the afternoon, police could not immediately reopen the road as an enormous amount of rubbish had been strewn in the area.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:24 pm
HHTel wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:19 pm There are 'bottle bins' and separated bins dotted around. I'm told that the Thais do use them properly. Maybe not enough of them though.
I could not agree less with this statement.
If this were the case why is there so much plastic, wrappers, bottles strewn all over the sides of roads. I see the school bus/truck go past my place daily and the kids just throw the used containers to the side of the road.
I should have said that they seem to be used properly by the households nearby. Not suggesting that anyone will put themselves out by making a journey. Heaven forbid!
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

I noticed a sign at gourmet market bluport today.
It states monday wednesday and fridays are green day, if you bring your own shopping bags and not use the plastic bags they will put points on your M card store card...at least it is a start
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

jingjoe wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:24 pm I noticed a sign at gourmet market bluport today.
It states monday wednesday and fridays are green day, if you bring your own shopping bags and not use the plastic bags they will put points on your M card store card...at least it is a start
I do every time I go, a big red Makro bag!
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I didn't know that Makro had ever given out bags.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ I think you have to buy them? They're quite substantial and for long term use.

EDIT: I just quizzed the wife and she said they are heavy duty plastic and cost about 16 Baht each. Maybe Caller can photo and post when he gets a chance. We don't have any here at the moment.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

All the Makros hat I've been to in Thailand have them. They're usually for sale at the cash till (hanging on a pole).

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:01 pm they are heavy duty plastic and cost about 16 Baht each. Maybe Caller can photo and post when he gets a chance. We don't have any here at the moment.
Yes please, as I've never seen them either. So annoying not having bags at Makro. If they are heavy duty, and we're allowed to take them back into the shop, I'd invest.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Here you go, they're approx. 45cm high x 43cm wide but really open up wide. I don't use them in Makro, but when at the car, pack everything into the bag. But they are good, solid bags.

I also have hessian bags here from Waitrose and Sainsbury's and loads of 'bags for life' from the UK. Don't know why the stores here don't produce the same, I have seen hessian bags in Gourmet Market but the price made my eyes water!

Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Did you get them at Hua Hin Makro?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:44 pm Did you get them at Hua Hin Makro?
Yes, one at each I believe. I'm always forgetting them. I have also bought them at both Korat outlets and also at Khao Yai! Only seem to have the two now though! :?

They are for sale at the check out.
Talk is cheap
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

When I was in China, locals particularly the new middle class would watch the ex-pats and copy them. This is not true in Thailand, but if it could become that to carry flimsy plastic bags was unfashionable it might change.