Living in Phuket ?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Living in Phuket ?

Post by Homer »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:12 am Why on earth do people think someone would troll in this way? He's not trying to upset people with his answers, nor ask ridiculous questions. So what kicks would someone get out of this?
Trolls do it for many reasons. If you know a lot about a subject it's amusing to see how much information, misunderstanding, and just plain wrong info is posted by those who claim to know what they're talking about.
404cameljockey wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:12 amIt seems obvious he is just casting a wide net and asking the same questions on different forums. And there's nothing wrong with that.
Agreed. It would look considerably less trollish if he posted in a Phuket specific forum.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

You're on my ignore list. Since this isn't political, I was curious what you tried to spin and how you tried.
dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:01 pm So you've scoured the web looking for this guy's posts and even identified where he didn't post? Sounds like someone with way too much time on his hands to me...
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 'Scoured'. That's funny. It's 2018. Do you know where you google is and how to use it? Don't bother answering, you just proved you don't. You have my sympathy.

I quoted one sentence from his post plus the word google, then searched. Results returned links to his post on several expat sites. Took less than a minute to check all of them. Another 10 seconds to check the link to the Phuket forum he was offered to see if he posted. If that's 'scour' to you I'd sure like to know how you define a 'glance' or 'quick look'.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Homer wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:15 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:12 am Why on earth do people think someone would troll in this way? He's not trying to upset people with his answers, nor ask ridiculous questions. So what kicks would someone get out of this?
Trolls do it for many reasons. If you know a lot about a subject it's amusing to see how much information, misunderstanding, and just plain wrong info is posted by those who claim to know what they're talking about.
404cameljockey wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:12 amIt seems obvious he is just casting a wide net and asking the same questions on different forums. And there's nothing wrong with that.
Agreed. It would look considerably less trollish if he posted in a Phuket specific forum.
You're just paranoid if you think he's sitting there chuckling to himself. I never heard of a troll that didn't engage with people online to embarrass them or anger them. Sorry, I believe you are way off the mark.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Homer wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:28 pm You're on my ignore list.
:laugh: :laugh: Clearly! :cheers:
This is the way
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:59 pm You're just paranoid if you think he's sitting there chuckling to himself. I never heard of a troll that didn't engage with people online to embarrass them or anger them. Sorry, I believe you are way off the mark.
Trolling includes posting with disingenuous intent for the sole purpose of eliciting reactions.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Homer wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:52 am
404cameljockey wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:59 pm You're just paranoid if you think he's sitting there chuckling to himself. I never heard of a troll that didn't engage with people online to embarrass them or anger them. Sorry, I believe you are way off the mark.
Trolling includes posting with disingenuous intent for the sole purpose of eliciting reactions.
I think it’s more a case that the OP’s first language almost certainly isn’t English so that allows a certain allowance for asking questions that a native English speaker either wouldn’t ask or would phrase it differently.
trevorcasto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trevorcasto »

Hello,
Thank you for your support 404cameljockey and dtaai-maai , it's nice. I'm just looking for questions to my questions.
Besides Cuffee.michael, your comment interests me a lot. I will have many questions to ask you if you live in phuket, that's what I'm looking for
How was your move on the spot? where do you come from ? how is life on the spot? a shock of culture? could you meet new people quickly?
Cuffee.michael
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cuffee.michael »

Hi all,

This thread is now looking like a boxing ring... lol

Anyway, as 404cameljockey suggested, let's just ignore those who are not here to help you. ;)

Trevorcasto, here are my answers:

My move was not so easy. I mean the process of making it all happen was easy because I didn't do it on my own... But once arrived there, I have to admit I needed a little bit of time to adapt myself. But overall, I would say it has been kind of a smooth process.

I think the "shock of culture" as you said is easier to handle in Phuket, rather than other cities in Thailand such as Bangkok. Why? Because Phuket is full of tourists, expats, backpackers, etc. You'll find a whole bunch of different nationalities, especially French people, which could be a perfect fit for you!

Life out there, as you can imagine, is cool! Sun, beaches, good food, etc. The only thing is that Phuket is quite pricey, and if you want to go out and grab a drink in a fancy club, you'll end up spending a lot of money.

When will you get there?? We can keep in touch, so that I can show you around... I'll take you to some good places I know to eat/grab a beer :D
Cuffee.michael
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cuffee.michael »

Anyway guys, can we please move on, and forget all these "tensions"?

I'm just here to help him, and if you're not, please just let us talk on this thread without disturbing our discussion. No offense though!
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Cuffee.michael wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:50 amAnyway guys, can we please move on, and forget all these "tensions"?
Of course, because obviously your being on the forum for 26 days and making 12 posts qualifies you to both understand the forum's culture and reproach other posters.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Homer wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:43 am
Cuffee.michael wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:50 amAnyway guys, can we please move on, and forget all these "tensions"?
Of course, because obviously your being on the forum for 26 days and making 12 posts qualifies you to both understand the forum's culture and reproach other posters.
Well, the forum's culture being a deep suspicion of anyone who posts questions in the wrong way? Exactly the same bad reaction that was shown months ago when someone asked for help in contacting a Thai government agency in connection with child protection.

Small-mindedness and too much time on one's hands leading some people to suspect the most innocent of posts to be an attempt to dupe. 'Oh he posted a question about Phuket in a HH forum, he must be a troll." Never mind that we talk here about Trump, China, and God knows what else, but we don't talk about Phuket?...

Anyway, how many weeks or months do you feel it takes for someone to 'earn their stripes' and have the right to comment on other posts? Is it in the FAQ?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The thing is that even Big Boy and Buksida - both multi 1,000 posters, started at one post and one days membership many moons ago, so give everybody a chance unless and until they do indeed disclose themselves to be real trolls.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Guys, many of us have asked questions about places other than Hua Hin e.g. I remember years ago asking about hotels in Kanchanaburi, and sateeb gave me an excellent recommendation. Did that make us trolls? I hope not. That was back in the days when if you needed to know something, many people came to this forum because it was full of useful information, and its members would go out of their way to help. It was an online community, providing a valuable service.

moater. Homer, laphanphon, 404cameljockey, dtaai-maai, I challenge you all to go back through this thread, and calculate what value you have added. Homer, do you analyse everybody's posts like that :? ? I often see questions posed on here, also asked on Facebook. That doesn't make the poster a troll, it is more likely that he can't find an answer and is covering all bases looking for a solution.

Cameljockey, Lev has engaged Moderators to to do a job. We don't jump in at first suspicion. We give the poster a chance to clarify. However, you seem to be all over posts, dying in a ditch to defend a person, who you probably have no prior knowledge of. You do not know 100% the person's intentions.

We don't need online vigilantes doing our job for us, we are more than capable. All of this added interference simply makes our job harder, because by the time we've evaluated the original situation, the waters have been muddied because everybody is calling everybody else, and the original post has been lost. Every new poster is vetted by a moderator (you'd be amazed that probably only about 10% get through). Those we let through are because the posters are within the forum's rules. Likewise, if we make a mistake, we will correct it as soon as the poster broaches those rules. I know it may not be fast enough for some of you, but please be patient.

If there is a genuine troll, don't respond to them, it will encourage them. Without food, they will naturally die.

I hope you all get the picture. If you need further clarification, please PM one of us. We will delete further off topic posts.

:offtopic:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Very well said, BB. I don't envy you your task which IMO you do extremely well.
trevorcasto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trevorcasto »

Hello,
Again I see that some people are still stuck on the subject of the troll, but you're wrong, I'm not trying to circumvent the rules of this forum.
Thank you Cuffee.michael for your answers, I see it already a little clearer. If all goes well, I will be in Phuket at the beginning of October, we will be able to take a beer at this time.
BY the way, what service did you spend for your move?