Ranong, staying in Kawthoung/Victoria Point (Burma)

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
buksida

Ranong, staying in Kawthoung/Victoria Point (Burma)

Post by buksida »

A friend has to do a visa run down that way next week, will be going with him and was considering an night on the Burmese side.

Has anyone done this recently? What were your experiences?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Re: Ranong, staying in Kawthoung/Victoria Point (Burma)

Post by buksida »

You guys really don't get out much eh. :roll:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

No, just haven't had to do a visa run for a million years so can't give any reliable information.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

same here,have only done a run ,some years ago
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Yes, it's possible.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I know its possible, just wanted to hear some experiences.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Two mates of mine stayed over on that side about 10yrs ago..They said it was the longest night ever..nothing to do, noisy, & they simply stayed in the hotel room & drank the cheap rum they'd bought earlier.
BUT..it may be different now..??
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

europtimiste wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:08 pm Yes, it's possible.
I have been several times, but never stayed at night. Some friends did some years ago and were satisfied.
Hotel was OK, now must be much better, girls available and as they are not looking for farang food restaurants were also good.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I spent a night on the other side about 4 years ago with a mate of mine. Only two hotels to choose from and from what I recall, both depend on generators for electricity. In the hotel where we stayed, power came on at around 17h00 and it went off at around midnight due to mechanical problem, or so we were told.

You were also not allowed to travel too far on the visa stamp you get so we just hung around nearby. Nothing crazy but still had a good time with a group of young local guys who insisted on driving us around on the bikes. We were also told there are some bars with girls just a short distance away but we never bother investigating.

All in all, we had a nice time, even though it was nothing crazy. Oh, and I totally stuffed myself with samosas in the morning which are sold at many small breakfast hangouts. I think they only cost about 5 or 10 baht each. :thumb:

The whole vibe has changed though as a result of the country's push to boost tourism. Notably, immigration are very friendly and accommodating, you can get bahts changed to dollars, and etc.

I actually used to enjoy popping across every 90 days but now I've not been down for the past 3 years because the retirement extensions are simply a better and more convenient option.

If this is a first time experience for your mate, I would also recommend making the crossing in the longtail boat taxis - 100 baht each way, and a much more authentic experience that the visa run boats.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thanks Takiap, will post a trip report if we get over there.