International Fleet Review 2017 - Pattaya

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

International Fleet Review 2017 - Pattaya

Post by Big Boy »

I've always been interested in military vessels, and I've recently seen the ASEAN Fleet Review will take place at Pattaya from 13th to 22 Nov. I've looked at the anchoring positions, and I'm quite excited. I'm guessing the pleasure boat operators will be doing trips around the bay to see the ships (can anybody confirm please?).

I'm thinking of getting the bus (Mrs BB won't do the ferry - I'll have to do a BA Baracus on her to get her on the trip around the bay) on the 18th, returning on the 20th. I'm not too bothered about the Air Race.

Does anybody have any more information? I'm assuming it'll be a Farang Friendly event, otherwise they wouldn't be holding it where they are.

[Edit] Forgot the event url http://aseanifr2017.com/
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Re: International Fleet Review 2017 - Pattaya

Post by Big Boy »

Bumping this one - I'd be grateful for any additional information please.

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I have none. All I've seen published is that the yearly International Fireworks display which was to coincide has been cancelled due to lack of funds sent by Bangkok, and that the PM and crew will be touring the place on one or two of the days but the dates weren't mentioned. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The PM is supposedly doing his review on the morning of 20th, I'm assuming there'll be additional security if he's about (I still remember what happened here at Centara Grand), so I thought I'd do my own personal review of the fleet before it became too intense.

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Conflicting info on the General at least from this one Google search source..... Mr. Prayut Chan-o-cha will personally reside over and review more than 40 naval vessels from participating ASEAN member countries on Saturday the 18th of November, 2017.".....

https://www.mypattayacondo.com/asean-in ... d-pattaya/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Arghhh!!!!! Thanks Pete. The ships are due to go on exercise after the review, so me travelling on the 18th would be a bad idea. I'll have to look further.

That article was posted in June though.

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Thai news talked about how many millions of Baht it would bring to Pattaya. I'm sure the ladies will do well.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Back in the the day, there was always much excitement when the American Fleet came in, but other navies never seemed to have the same attraction. There's only one American ship at the review, so there probably won't be enough to go around.

I originate from a UK Naval Town. There was always a similar excitement there when the Americans were due. One group of ladies even hired a train (600 seats) to get them there - that made big news, with the locals up in arms about stealing trade.

There is no doubt that the arrival of the American Fleet is a big boost to the local economy. :D

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Pattaya dressing up for international fleet event

https://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/in-t ... recent_box

PATTAYA: An international fleet show has boosted the occupancy rate for hotels in the resort city.

Sanpet Supabowornsathien, president of the Eastern Thai Hotels Association, said on Tuesday that the reservation rate of the hotels in Pattaya surpassed 90% due to visitors to the International Fleet Review 2017.
The event bolstered tourism in the city during the high season, he added.

The event commemorates the 50th anniversary of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean). The 10-member grouping was set up in 1967 by Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Singapore.

The event, held by the Royal Thai Navy and Pattaya City, started on Monday through Nov 22. The highlight will be on Monday when the review of the international fleet will take place. It features 15 ships from the Royal Thai Navy, 28 ships from 18 Asean and non-Asean countries, as well as 20 aircraft from both the Royal Thai Navy and the Royal Thai Air Force.

Pattaya also hopes its fountain will be launched before the naval exhibition ends and becomes another landmark to attract tourists.

City mayor Pol Maj Gen Anan Charoenchasri said the test run of the colourful fountain at Bali Hai cape had already been conducted but the launch date has not been scheduled.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I must have got the dates right :D

I see the ferry is cancelled on the 19th and 20th because of the review. Just as well we decided to go by road.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Pattaya beaches go chairless for big fleet show

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

Pattaya beaches will not be the same until Tuesday, with umbrellas and chairs folded up as part of a cleanup campaign to mark the arrival of international naval fleets.

All sun shades and chairs have been cleared from the sands at the request of city authorities, who asked for "cooperation from beachside operators" during the event that opened on Friday and concludes on Monday.

The resort city is hosting the International Fleet Review 2017 with the Royal Thai Navy until Monday. The highlight on Monday will be a parade in Pattaya Bay by the fleets from more than a dozen countries, including members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), to mark the group's 50th anniversary.

One beach business operator who asked not to be named said on Saturday that all of them were ready to comply with the requests of city authorities to help promote Pattaya.

Raweewan Thongtem, a visitor from Songkhla who is spending two weeks in the resort city, said the beach was more beautiful without chairs and umbrellas. "I prefer a beach closer to the nature though it does not have facilities," she said.

The navy has sent 15 vessels to join 25 ships from other countries for a parade that will be witnessed by navy officers from 40 countries and chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha. All of the ships took part in a rehearsal on Saturday.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, I'm here guys - lovely view over the bay & ships from the hotel, but the word at the moment is we can go anywhere near the fleet - will confirm that later. What's the point of such a spectacle in a holiday resort if you can't enjoy it?

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I guess you mean you can't go anywhere near the fleet?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes :D

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Very disappointing - it doesn't look as though the fleet will be any more than a blip on the horizon. Security is tight - we aren't going to be allowed anywhere near the ships. They have giant screens, where you can sit and watch - no thank you - it looks as though it'll be a day relaxing by the pool. Mrs BB says, "Good, we can go shopping." :cuss: :cuss: Not improved by the fact she bought 3 winning tickets in last week's lottery, so she has money to burn. :cry:

I've been here many times when the American fleet has come in - at least their ships are big enough to see from the shore.

Even the atmosphere around town was nowhere near the mayhem when the Americans arrive. Pattaya is heaving, but about 80% of everybody we could see was Chinese playing follow the flag. Last night's amusement was split the group - walk straight at the flag bearer - it was confusing the hell out out those following.

OMG, I haven't been here for 2 years, but it's gone right off the seedy scale.

I've been to fleet reviews before, and you can get right in amongst it. I'm not sure what they've got to hide. or maybe more likely, what they should have but haven't.

Disappointed, but I think our hotel must give us the best view in town.

Points 41; Position 18