Car Ferry - Pranburi to Chuk Samet pier in Sattahip

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Car Ferry - Pranburi to Chuk Samet pier in Sattahip

Post by Big Boy »

I was in in Pak Nam Pran earlier today, and noticed the road that used to become a virtual dirt track between the second roundabout and the river mouth has been significantly developed, and a large car park has also appeared. I was confused, wondering why on earth anybody would build such a road, and what purpose would a large car park serve in the middle of nowhere.

Trawling through the Internet this evening, I read this:
The department also plans to launch a car ferry service from the Chuk Samet pier to Pran Buri district in Prachuap Khiri Khan.
The project cost, which involves construction of a new pier, is estimated at 1 billion baht and is pending the Transport Ministry's consideration.
He said the department has yet to decide if it will wholely invest in building the pier or seek a private partnership.
Full story: http://m.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1301567/

I'm just wondering if I'm putting 2 and 2 together, and making 7.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Car Ferry - Pranburi to Chuk Samet pier in Sattahip

Post by RCer »

That would be a useful thing.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Is this not part of the overall ferry plan. First was to be a passenger only ferry from HH to Patts then later on the possibility of a vehicle ferry from Pranburi to Patts?
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

According to the original plan, yes. I'm more interested in whether the construction I stumbled across yesterday is a lot further on than, "The project cost, which involves construction of a new pier, is estimated at 1 billion baht and is pending the Transport Ministry's consideration."

We have a thread which seems dedicated to the passenger ferry. I thought it would interesting to have one dedicated to the car ferry.

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't think this one needs its own thread. When it happens you'll be able to get all the way from Hua Hin/Pranburi to Koh Chang in Trat province. Maybe too much to hope for that it can all be done in one day, but perhaps? Pete :cheers:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -september

Sattahip-Koh Chang ferry to launch in September

"The new passenger ferry service between Sattahip district in Chon Buri and Koh Chang in Trat will be launched next month, according to the Marine Department.

Director-general Sornsak Saensombat said the Sattahip-Koh Chang route will operate from Chuk Samet pier in Sattahip to the Bang Bao pier on Koh Chang, reports said.

The service connecting the two seaports on the eastern coast is expected to help limit the number of vehicles on the island.

The service will be provided by Royal Passenger Liner, the operator of the Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry service.

Mr Sornsak said the operator and the department were in the process of setting the fares.

The service was originally to be launched in May.

The department also plans to launch a car ferry service from the Chuk Samet pier to Pran Buri district in Prachuap Khiri Khan.

The project cost, which involves construction of a new pier, is estimated at 1 billion baht and is pending the Transport Ministry's consideration.

He said the department has yet to decide if it will wholely invest in building the pier or seek a private partnership."
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Isn't that the same link? :?

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I've ridden the ferry once. No plans to do ot again. A car ferry out of Pron Buri would be great. Well worth the expense. I only got to BKK if necessary. But would love to explore Chon Buri and south on my motorbike.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:51 pm Isn't that the same link? :?
Appears to be, but a two part story. I only focused on the title and Sattahip > Koh Chang part. Sorry. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What's interesting about these new routes is that you can go from the most western ports in the upper gulf to the most eastern, with Cambodia within eyesight. This is the first time in the country's history that you can do something like that on public transport via a sea route. If planning a holiday on Koh Chang and the connections in Sattahip are reasonable it would be something to consider. Pete :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Construction begins of ferry terminal at Sattahip

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... recent_box

Online news:
CHON BURI - The ground-breaking ceremony was held on Monday for the construction of a new ferry terminal at Chuk Samet deep-sea port in Sattahip, part of the infrastructure development for the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC).

Royal Thai Navy commander Adm Na Arreenich presided over the event at the pier in the grounds of the navy base in Sattahip district of Chon Buri.

Chuk Samet has been chosen for devlopment as a port serving cruises, cargo vessels and ferries linking Pattaya, Chon Buri and Rayong with other destinations, including Koh Chang in Trat and Hua Hin district across the Gulf in Prachuap Khiri Khan province.

The 6,000-square-metre space inside the terminal will have souvenir shops, a food court, ticket counters and boarding areas, according to the navy. It one of 13 projects with total estimated cost of 2 billion baht to be undertaken by the navy under the EEC blueprint.

The government is campaigning to attract local and foreign investors to the EEC development, hoping that innovation-driven industries will move the country out of the middle-income trap.
The scheme covers Chon Buri, Rayong and Chachoengsao.
ferry terminal.jpg
ferry terminal.jpg (46.45 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!