Trip south to Koh Samui

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
stubby
Amateur
Amateur

Trip south to Koh Samui

Post by stubby »

Thinking of driving south from hua hin to get the ferry from surat thani to ko samui
Has any body done this trip and can offer any advice.
Also can anybody offer a nice halfway spot to stop off at to break the journey up.
buksida

Re: Trip south to Koh Samui

Post by buksida »

stubby wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:14 pm Also can anybody offer a nice halfway spot to stop off at to break the journey up.
Bangsaphan is a great little spot about half way: http://www.bangsaphanguide.com/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Second that regarding Bang Saphan
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Used to take wife and I 7 hours with food stop somewhere along the way to get to Khanom which is close to ferry piers. Do NOT go through Surat Thani to get to Ferry Pier at Don Sak. Lots of road construction on that road right now and can take over 30 minutes just to get through new construction alone. Pass the airport and go several km south and turn left at highway to Karabi/Nakhon Si Thammarat. Turn left on that highway (on ramp a bit tricky to find) and go East on it to end. You get dumped off going north then make a quick "U" turn south to next Stop Light where you turn left to go to ferry Piers. There is a turn off of that road quite a ways down that cuts off a "U" section that goes by Don Sak. Turn-off will dump you back on road to ferry piers. Seatrain or Raja ferry piers. Raja is the cheap one and you get the fun of the Putt Putt of those old diesel engines. Takes about 1.5 hours to get to Samui. Oh, and then your into traffic and congestion on a two lane road around the island with over 300,000 people on it. Just like downtown HuaHin if you like that kind of "action".
Aimee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aimee »

Yeah i had done once then i started my journey through a bus and after reaching Koh Samui can cover the remaining distance through a ferry or you can take a bus from the nearby route to reach there but i'll suggest you to enjoy ferry ride that will let you enjoy all the charming views of nature beauty