A visit to England

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Bamboo Grove

A visit to England

Post by Bamboo Grove »

It just so happened that Arsenal had three home matches during my autumn vacation so I started to plan a weeklong trip to Blighty at the end of the summer. I had joined Arsenal’s Red Membership program during the summer and got two of my tickets this way. The third one came through our Arsenal supporters’ club.
Arsenal Cafe.JPG
Arsenal Cafe.JPG (115.82 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
As there were days in between the matches, I thought I’d finally venture up north. I had been to Nottingham in the summer in a Chinese language teachers conference and that was my northernmost point where I had slept in England. So I chose Yorkshire as my destination. After the first match day I headed up to York but have to say I was a bit put back by the price, £98 by train. That’s even more expensive than in Finland.

However, York turned out to be a nice place, with the very impressive minster, old city walls and even a Roman bath museum underneath one pub. The narrow streets were also very nice to walk up and down.
York Minster ulkoa 1.JPG
York Minster ulkoa 1.JPG (190.28 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
York muurit.JPG
York muurit.JPG (147.07 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
Next destination was Scarborough and also that was a charming beachside town, although the steep roads made me thirsty, nothing new there, though. Some of the paintings on the walls reminded me of Valparaiso, Chile. Everything was naturally much cheaper than in London, my hilltop hotel room with sea view cost me only £35.
Scarborough beach 2.JPG
Scarborough beach 2.JPG (108.36 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
Scarborough wall paintings.JPG
Scarborough wall paintings.JPG (160.3 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
York oluet.JPG
York oluet.JPG (97.34 KiB) Viewed 5208 times

My third and final Yorkshire destination was Hull, not for sightseeing but to meet up with old friends from my Hua Hin days. Had a great night with Joyce, Mags and Paul. Thanks for letting us stay in your place, Joyce and for the ride to Peterborough, Paul.

Two more matches waited in London, Champions league match vs Ludogerets (6-0) and PL match vs Middlesborough (0-0). The result of the last match is the only one which I have watched live and not seen Arsenal win. But you can’t have everything, can you.

Couple of days in London before the last match were filled with a visit to National Museum, which I had last visited 41 years ago and walks in Camden Town and Portobello Road. Found a good book shop too, Daunt Books on Marylebone High Street, where they had a good collection of books about Southeast Asia.

Last day was dedicated to Islington and Arsenal as there was no need to go outside the area. I really enjoyed my visit to England, it had all that on old man like me needs on a vacation: good football, good ales, meeting up with old friends and interesting places to see.
kirjoja.JPG
kirjoja.JPG (98.81 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
Hieroglyfejä.JPG
Hieroglyfejä.JPG (216.93 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
Gunners pub.JPG
Gunners pub.JPG (96.9 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
Özil ja Alex.JPG
Özil ja Alex.JPG (94.2 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
PeteC

Re: A visit to England

Post by PeteC »

Good report and photos Bamboo. :thumb: Glad you had a good time. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Nice report, thanks!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Love that narrow street BG, I'd have trouble getting down there. Were there passing points for larger people :D ?

That hotel price was excellent. My son recently visited Bristol. Even crap accommodation was going to £70+ - fortunately he stayed with a friend in the end.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

BB wrote:
Love that narrow street BG
That's actually a stretch of the city wall, not a street.

What I also found nice in Yorkshire that people seemed to be very friendly and I haven't been called "darling", "love" or "dear" since my younger days in Bangkok in the 90's. :D
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've walked those walls in York a couple of times, probably about 25 years ago but I don't think they've changed much in the last few hundred years. A good choice of books there as well for a football supporter!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Glad you had an enjoyable trip. I think it's a long time since anyone called Scarborough charming!
Talk is cheap
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

An old memory. My father was stationed with the Air Force in East Yorkshire during WW2. He said the Germans did not bomb York or Lincoln as they needed the Cathedrals for navigation, you can see them for fifty miles away.