What's happened to travel inside Thailand?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

What's happened to travel inside Thailand?

Post by hhfarang »

The missus is travelling from Loei to Hua Hin today and everything is booked solid. First she got up early (in Chiang Khan) and drove all the way to Udon Thani to fly to Swampy. They have 8 or 10 flights a day on various airlines but they were all booked solid. So she asked about driving back to Loei to get a flight to Don Muang... "Sorry, all booked" so she had to get a ride to Khorat just to get one of the last seats on a flight from there to Bangkok!

Once finally in Bangkok she had to wait about 5 hours for the next available seat on the silver bus to Hua Hin. She started travel before 6 a.m. and is now still on the bus to Hua Hin 16 hours later!

What's going on? I would expect this at Songkran but there are no holidays currently that I can find. We used to do this all the time with no advance reservations and there were always plenty of seats available. :?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: What's happened to travel inside Thailand?

Post by caller »

I assume you meant she got last seats on a bus from Korat to Bkk, rather than flight, as there aren't any flight's from Korat to anywhere at the moment.
Talk is cheap
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

caller wrote:I assume you meant she got last seats on a bus from Korat to Bkk, rather than flight, as there aren't any flight's from Korat to anywhere at the moment.
Sorry, I looked back at her message. It was "Khon Kaen", not Korat. :oops:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Some guesses and they're only guesses:

1) Nok Air has cancelled about 60 (?) flights a day due to a pilot shortage. That's been on going for a month or more.

2) Thai school is now out for the year as of about 2 weeks ago.

3) Chinese tourists have the system clogged up.

4) It was Friday early get-away weekend people.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

Years ago one could do just about anything on the spur of the moment and all was well but today many more people are travelling AND booking online and to do anything else is folly. The wife STILL being on the road after some 16 hours when a simple online booking would have saved all of that pretty much proves it.

I'm also of the opinion that, at least in terms of Thailand, many people are choosing the "safer" means of travelling as opposed to the mini vans and such and are flocking to them in even greater numbers.

Cheers!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhfarang wrote:Once finally in Bangkok she had to wait about 5 hours for the next available seat on the silver bus to Hua Hin. She started travel before 6 a.m. and is now still on the bus to Hua Hin 16 hours later!
I posted a couple of days ago that the wait at Suvarnhabumi was 5 hours for anybody just turning up without a booking, so not really a surprise.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

What's happened? Maybe people are becoming more aware of the dangers of the 'not so safe' methods, and are choosing their transport more wisely. I would guess your wife could still have picked up a mini-bus from Victory Monument with minimal waiting time.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

prcscct wrote:Some guesses and they're only guesses:

3) Chinese tourists have the system clogged up.

I thought Chinese tourists were all using camper vans? :naughty:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't think the Chinese can be blamed for the Suvarnabhumi bus delays - i and many other Farangs use the service to get to and from Bangkok.

Maybe somebody should realise the opportunity, and start up a quality VIP service direct to and from central Bangkok. That would release seats on the airport bus for airport passengers.

Points 48; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

After spending one day in Hua Hin she says there are "many more" people than when we left 15 months ago. I guess that at least explains the Hua Hin airport buses being booked.

I'm still mystified that Udon Thani to Bangkok was fully booked with 23 flights a day (just googled it) between 4 different airlines.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not. Its not much more expensive than other modes of transport, and so much faster (and probably a lot safer).

Points 48; Position 18