Hua Hin - Pattaya ferry service news and updates

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Hua Hin - Pattaya ferry project news and updates

Post by hhinner »

StevePIraq wrote:From what I have read the ferry is postponed until Thursday at the earliest due to poor weather conditions
I hadn't seen that. Thanks. Wonder if that means the free trip schedule is also adjusted.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Hua Hin - Pattaya ferry project news and updates

Post by StevePIraq »

"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There is a lot of confusion regarding ticketing, but hopefully I've cracked it today.

Originally, I was invited to join them on the 1 Jan crossing - well, that didn't happen.

I was then told I was on the 7 Jan crossing (collect tickets on the 5th). Fine, I thought, but then I was reading things on Thai social media, which made me wonder. It seems that they had so many trying to book by phone, all phone bookings were scrapped, and tickets issued only to those turning up at the office.

I got my daughter to phone this morning, and the 7th crossing was full, and I wasn't on it! There were seats available on the 8th, but I'd have to collect to tickets immediately from 'Roland' who was at Takiab Pier.

Off we go to Takiab Pier - deserted. Mrs BB phones Roland. Ah no, the boat will leave from Takiab Pier, Roland was at the office at the Fishing Pier.

Off we go to the Fishing Pier. Of course, there's nowhere to park. All of the 'empty' car parking has been cordoned off by the illegal? restaurants. I sent Mrs BB on a sole mission, while I drove around for 30 minutes.

There was a fair sized queue, with the majority of hopeful passengers being Chinese. She just had to show my passport, and her ID card. 2 tickets were duly issued
20170103_124521.jpg
As can be seen, it's sort of make it up as they go. Date was handwritten, and departure time was manually changed :D . Very Thai :wink:

So, all's well you may think. Now for the rub.................. the tickets are only one way :shock: Mrs BB queried it, and was told tickets from Pattaya can only be issued from Pattaya. It shouldn't be a problem though, just book when you arrive at Pattaya. I must say, I'm not very assured, but let's wait and see. I have visions of the return journey being by taxi :laugh: .

So anybody wanting a free trial needs to get their backsides down to the office quick.
DSC00649.jpg
DSC00649.jpg (52.11 KiB) Viewed 642 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

But which office Takiab or Fishing Pier? and they still don't have a web site for bookings, and as for not being able to book a return journey well it seems pretty much a farce if you ask me.

BB please keep us informed of your journey, the trials and tribulations, heartache and happiness. Oh and number of life jackets on board.

In the end I hope they can get it all sorted out and it becomes a success. But they do need a web site.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Don't forget to take your nautical maps, GPS and compass. If the handling of the ferry is as able as the booking you just may need them :D
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

StevePIraq wrote:But which office Takiab or Fishing Pier? and they still don't have a web site for bookings, and as for not being able to book a return journey well it seems pretty much a farce if you ask me.

BB please keep us informed of your journey, the trials and tribulations, heartache and happiness. Oh and number of life jackets on board.

In the end I hope they can get it all sorted out and it becomes a success. But they do need a web site.
The office in the photo on the fishing pier :D

Agree 100% about the web site. They seem to be relying on social media Chinese whispers at the moment. I'm sure they'll get there. After all, aren't the freebies to iron out problems?

Don't worry, life jackets and their location will be top of my check list :D
Don't forget to take your nautical maps, GPS and compass.
Wouldn't help me much, even if I did :D

Points 48; Position 20
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Latest news is the ferry cannot be refueled in Pattaya it has to moor offshore and have the fuel brought out to it. There is nothing like a good plan is there.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

SS Minnow? (Giligan's Island for you non-Americans) :D
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Assuming all 200 who travel from Hua Hin want to make the return trip on the same day, that should be quite a queue at the Pattaya ticket office. :)

As they haven't actually managed to make a crossing yet, will there even be a boat at Khao Takiab for your trip BB?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Potentially there could be 500+ lined up, 300 new passengers from Patts and 300 returning passengers from HH.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

StevePIraq wrote:Latest news is the ferry cannot be refueled in Pattaya it has to moor offshore and have the fuel brought out to it. There is nothing like a good plan is there.
There are small diesel tanker vessels operating permanently offshore to fuel the fishing fleets and pleasure boats with special subsidised diesel (think something like red diesel). This fuel is (or used to be) 3-4 baht cheaper per litre and it's illegal to use it onshore. So it would only make sense for the operator to refuel at sea.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm still quite optimistic about the service, despite the naysayers. They are bound to have teething problems, but they're obviously investing a lot of cash into this venture. If it does what it says it will do, it will be of great benefit to the Big Boy clan. It will make the other side so much more accessible, and the benefits of Pattaya will be just 2 hours away, without actually living there.

Yes, Pattaya has a few minuses, but it has quite a few pluses as well. I've generally enjoyed Pattaya over the last 30 years, but getting there from Hua Hin means driving through Bangkok, which try to I avoid these days, except under exceptional circumstances.

When the car ferry starts, it'll be even better.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Hua Hin - Pattaya ferry project news and updates

Post by hhinner »

StevePIraq wrote:Potentially there could be 500+ lined up, 300 new passengers from Patts and 300 returning passengers from HH.
According to the stuff for the trial period posted earlier by BB, they only allocate 200 tickets for the outbound trip and allow for another hundred for the return. Thus there can be no more than 300 passengers on the return trip, allowing everyone on the outbound leg to also return.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think that's what they basically said to Mrs BB, but I'll take enough cash for either a taxi home, or an overnight stay (might be a bit smelly though :D ).

:idea: Maybe take an overnight bag, just in case :D

Points 48; Position 20
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Maybe I missed it, are there any pictures of the car carrying ferry? I've only seen the Royal 1 which does not carry cars.