Hua Hin - Pattaya ferry service news and updates

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Hua Hin - Pattaya ferry project news and updates

Post by Homer »

Nereus wrote:It runs into the wake of the passing vessel and starts to have a fit!
The boat responded as designed. Hitting a large wake while carrying too much speed causes the oscillation you described as 'a fit'. Same thing would happen in a car or motorcycle if you hit a bump and the suspension was only springs, with no shock absorbers. In the usual conditions in the Gulf between here and Pattaya, ship wakes will be larger than the waves.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

BigBoy when you went on the ferry did they have a safety presentation before pulling out
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, I don't think so. At least nothing I could recognise as such. I was sat in Business Class, and I could hear muffled tannoy messages from Cattle Class. Certainly nothing as organised as UK cross channel ferries, where they give various examples of warning whistles etc.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I thought the ferry was going from Hua hin however it seems they are building facilities at Khao Takieb pier. Ferry is 25 years old.

It would seem the vessel has no location transceiver fitted which to me raises safety concerns. Who will know where the ship was when it sunk.

The following and photos were obtained from Facebook:
'Wu Yi Hu' photographed in Macao in 2015.

The Bangkok registered 'Royal 1' high speed catamaran being operated on the service was built in 1991 by Wavemaster International of Henderson, Australia. Recently owned and operated by China Government under the name 'Wu Yi Hu', some of the vessel's life saving appliances still show the former name and port of registry. The vessel was in service on the Pearl River (Zhū Jiāng) and estuary in Guangdong.

A trace of the vessel's IMO Number, IMO9039315, does not yet show details of new owners / managers or the change of registration. The IMO number is an internationally assigned unique reference, mandatory for passenger ships, that remains linked to the hull for its lifetime, regardless of a change in name, flag, or owner and allows interested parties to trace the current status and history of the vessel.

Online ship tracking services, which show a vessel's position obtained from an 'Automatic Identification System' transceiver the ferry is required to carry, currently show no information for the 'Royal 1'.
Ferry.jpg
Ferry 1.jpg
Ferry 1.jpg (120.18 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I went to have a look today..... Quite a lot of interest, some passengers with full cases, so obviously using it as part of their trip, but most had nothing or just small bags. I assume these were coming straight back on the return ferry. It was calm in the shelter of ' monkey mountain' but I could see white tops further out! From years of having quite a substantial off shore powerboat in the UK and loving it when it was a bit lumpy I would expect the ride today to be a bit lively especially on the way back against the wind. From my experiences it tends to be the humans that give up before the boat, especially if they are not regular sailors!
It might need renaming ' The vomit commit ' !!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I still say your nuts to use this service.
1. The company has not registered the vessel in their name
2. The vessel has no location transceiver
The above in my opinion shows an operator who does not know the requirements and the Marine Authority are very lacking in enforcing rules

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/hom ... 13/zoom:10
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

2. The vessel has no location transceiver
I am no longer up to date with the requirements (SOLAS), but although it is mandatory for passenger vessels, when introduced it applied to International voyages only. As Thailand owns most of the ocean not claimed by China, they probably claim that they are exempt.

The vessel does have an MMSI number as I posted previously. (567132239)
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Marine traffic website are showing the current position:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/det ... sel:ROYAL1
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

So the info from the FB report was wrong, that's good t know.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Nereus wrote:Marine traffic website are showing the current position:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/det ... sel:ROYAL1

Would be nice to have that on the airport bus to,so you could follow when quest arive :idea:

:cheers: :cheers:
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

This is a strange thing, you can have something like this which can track a ship across the seas but cannot have a locator on a plane
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

flightradar24.com

Yes they do!
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

StevePIraq wrote:This is a strange thing, you can have something like this which can track a ship across the seas but cannot have a locator on a plane
What are you talking about regards a plane?
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

RCer wrote:
StevePIraq wrote:This is a strange thing, you can have something like this which can track a ship across the seas but cannot have a locator on a plane
What are you talking about regards a plane?
I think he speaking about a flight tracker so you can see were a plane is ,simular the ship tracker somone mention earlier.

https://www.flightradar24.com/13.75,100.47/7

:offtopic:

:cheers: :cheers:
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Yes that's correct over the last few years a number of aircraft have gone down and either could not be located or it took a huge search to locate them.

Anyway this is off topic more related to MH370 thread

:offtopic: